Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie needs help.

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Bulldoggie371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather Morgan
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to you and Buddy! Lots of great people and advice here!

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Newbie needs help.

Quote Originally Posted by LariP View Post
    Yep. Love, patience and sometimes just picking them up and carrying outside. HRH still prefers "her room" over anywhere else. It took us a year to get her to come to the kitchen to eat. And she still rarely stays there longer than absolutely necessary to finish her dinner.

She now goes right outside first thing every morning to go potty, but we still have to coax or pick her up and put her out at other times of the day. She only goes voluntarily if she really has to go, not on our schedule. She came to us at 3 years old, and although she was housebroken she had occasional piddle in the house issues for a few months. Finally though we got that to stop and she hasn't had an accident in well over a year.

She will always prefer routine days where everything is done on her schedule. If we take her anywhere she is docile, but it is apparent she is not happy about it. Nervous pooping can be an issue, so we have to try to get her to potty before we leave.

What she said... Lari is my wife... LOL to EBN!!

Real Name
    AKC Reg: Rev. Charles Hadden Spurgeon
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rev. Charles Hadden Spurgeon currently, and 3 others before, Lord Chesterfield, Evie, and Dooda
    Likes (Received)

Welcome.

I'm new to the site too, but not to Bullies. On my 4th now in 25yrs, and honestly, I would say your hands are full. Transition isn't easy on a lot of us folks, much less a dog. Unfortunately, you do have a lot of work ahead, but its going to be well, well worth it. You will be best buddies 4 Sho (no pun intended).

Always, and I mean always speak nice to him, no matter how it wrenches your patience. They are bull headed for sure, but you are smarter.

Leave his leash on the crate for a while before you take him out. Crate training is superior to anything you could do for him. It's not good to give in to him and allow him free reign while you aren't around. Bull puppies will always do what they want, not what you want.
    Since you're potty training as well, I understand that you would like for this to pass quickly, but it may take a while. For a while, the crate will be your helper. Never use it as a penalty box or place he will go if he has made a mistake on the floor. But remember this for sure... Puppies pee after sleeping, playing, drinking, and eating. He needs to go out a lot at first. Once he gets it, that outside is where we potty, then worry about a schedule. If he will not go outside, you may have to use puppy pads for a bit at first, but be careful not to make it run too long or they become permanent.

Put his leash is near him, so he will not be afraid of it. The other guy may have used it to spank the dog or played with it too rough, etc. Something tells me he needs to learn that the leash is his friend.

Also, make sure it it his leash and not shared by every dog in the house. I can tell you first hand, bullies have a lot of sentimental intuition. He knows what is his and will care more about his stuff and less about other pet's things. These guys are territorial. If the leash is used, wash it asap to get other dog smells off.

The other advice seems pretty good so far, but if you always make it about treats, he can get fat, and it's always a treat thing rather than him pleasing you. He really does want to please you. I would recommend getting down to his level when taking him out of the cage. I find that baby talking him and wishing him a good morning is always a great way to get him out of the crate. I used to crawl in with Spurgeon and love on him for a second before taking him out of the crate. While you train him to go out, use one word commands as much as possible; "Outside" or "Outside Buddy".

While outside, don't talk about anything else. If you're hot, tough it out... If you're cold, tough it out... If its raining, umbrella over him and tough it out. You can not, and must not give in to his wishes. Potty is business, and serious business at that. On all my Bulls (2 girls 2 boys), I used the words, "Hurry up". I think it helped me as much as it helped them. lol
    They all have been excellent on pottying outside. Spurgeon is two, and goes outside always for potty, and tucks himself in the crate at night or nap times. All I have to do is close the door. I still do that as well, because HE feels safer that way. It's his bedroom/safe-room.

To get Buddy to come out, when you get down on your knees to his level, he may feel better about you. You are more approachable this way and a whole lot less intimidating. But before it turns into a play episode, suggest he goes outside for potty business first, then pleasure. If you like to take walks, make sure he goes potty before the long walk, or he will train you to walk him a while before he does the business. Then, you'll be like every bulldog owner who has been trained to go on a long walk before business. I bet some are reading this right now.

Make sure you use the same voice tone and volume for commands, and then get louder or sillier for praises. Really go over the top when praising him, and he will love it, and will want to please you. Smile. They can tell. All I have to do is smile at Spurgeon and he knows what's up. Buddy is learning you every bit as much as you are learning him. This is NOT a dumb breed. Ask any of my friends an they would tell you the same. When I ask Spurgeon to give me a high five and he does, they're blown away! I get kisses when I want one, the different toys (by name) when I want them, etc. He will come when called, check his bowl when I say "Check your bowl", hit the freezer when I say "ice"... I'm not bragging here, I'm simply telling you that the sky is the limit. It all depends on what you put into him.
    Give him time, and he will be the best dog you have ever owned. Unless you've owned other bulldogs. This breed is all that.

I hope I have helped you some, and if not, I'm sure the others will. The folks on this site give freely when it comes to 'how to love your bulldog", and then some. If you figure it out, please post what worked for you, so that others may benefit from it as well.

Congratulations on your new friend, Buddy.
    From the narrow path,

Len Qualls

One Over 99 Ministry
    Luke 15:7
    @OneOver99

Notice: Due to the nature of my ministry striving to glorify Christ Jesus, as well as maintaining integrity, transparency, and accountability in my marriage, all correspondences with members of the opposite sex are shared with my wife.
    This is the best ever Far Side Cartoon by Gary Larsen imho.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

You have some good advice above. Buddy's gonna needs lots of patience and time. Wilson was a year old in January and for the first 10 months he wanted nothing to do with walking. I just kept plugging away, step by step. I got quite frustrated a few times, especially when he didn't want to budge and we still had to get back. You know what happened? One day about 11 months old, I took him out for a walk and to my surprise and bewilderment, he started jogging and didn't stop for .6 of a mile. I was stunned. He's been really good walker every since but can only go about .8 of a mile and then it's slow motion again. Patience and persistence.

to EBN too, glad you found us!
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Awesome thread!

Time, patience and your best pack leadership skills will win the day! I'm glad Buddy found you. As for that breeder guy..... there's a special place in hell for him.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

You've got lots of great advice. Hopefully Buddy will be waiting at the door for his walk like my BabyGirl.

Wilson & BabyGirl

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fontanafox View Post
    You've got lots of great advice. Hopefully Buddy will be waiting at the door for his walk like my BabyGirl.

great photo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads