New to the Bulldog World

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Supplements... HRH eats Fromm Beef Fritatta. she gets 3/4 cup in the am and same in the pm. Her morning food is supplemented by a heaping tablespoon of Greek yogurt as a probiotic, One fish oil pill.... we think she is allergic to salmon but many use liquid salmon oil. She also gets a 4200mg Cranberry pill to help prevent UTI and finally, right now with all the trees and flowers starting to bloom, she gets a Benadryl mixed in. We add nothing to the evening meal.

Where do you buy the cranberry pill from?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Where do you buy the cranberry pill from?

Anywhere... drug store, Walmart, Woodmans, The last ones we got were 4200 mg but I don't think that is critical... just so they are about that size. They are cheap too. not gonna break the bank with those.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
When you get your puppy at 12-13 weeks, he will probably still need another round of vaccines. There are various rounds of vaccines and boosters that they need to get. Your breeder should give you the paperwork for the vaccines he had already received when you bring him home. You will want to take him the your vet that you are going to use once you get him, and they will be able to tell you what vaccines, if any, he will still need. Depending on when he received his first vaccine, he won't be vaccinated fully until about four months. But your vet will be able to advise you when it is safe to have him outside.

I wasn't very excited about the idea of starting the potty training in the house either, but I didn't want to allow him to walk where unknown, and potentially sick animals have been since we don't have our own private yard for him to use. It wasn't worth the risk for me, and in actuality the transition wasn't bad at all.

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
Hello and welcome:yes: Gracie is on Fromm puppy food and she is 8 months. I'm switching her to the Fromm four star when we need to order more from Petflow. She has a harness and a collar. Get lots of chew toys she loves hers. :yes4: She loves her plain yogurt teaspoon of yogurt with her supper. She gets frozen green beans, slices of apples, cocumbers, green peppers etc. as her treats :D

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I was just thinking after my last post... when we got Rook, he had only had his first round of vaccines and had to take him for the last two. It's all kind of a blur to me now, but I think the vet us the okay to go outside after the second set... we just had to wait a week. In that case, Seamus will probably already have the second round of vaccines and it would be okay to take him outside.
Definitely consult your vet... there is a good chance I am rambling on about something you don't need to worry about!:)

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Hi! Thanks for all the information! I am trying to do as much research as possible before we get the little guy. We are getting a boy puppy and his name will be Seamus. We are hoping to get him after the 4th of July but are still talking with the breeder. I am super excited! How do you like Healthy Paws? That is actually the insurance that I found most appealing when I was doing my research. Have you had a good experience with them? From the looks of it Fromm's is the best dog food out there for bullies so we will probably go with that. Thanks again for the info! We will post pictures once we get the little guy!

My 17 year old son is named Seamus!! Hopefully, yours in better behaved, lol!! Anyways, wlecome to EBN!! P.S I use Taste of the wild

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Thanks [MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION]! We love the name Seamus! I married into an Irish household so we are keeping with tradition and keeping the family names Irish!

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Okay great thanks for all the information. I will check with my breeder and our vet to see when they think we can go outside with Seamus. I am hoping (Fingers crossed) that we will be able to take him outside right away and not have to do the pee pads! Our breeder is having the litter this weekend and we are first on the list to get a puppy. So it looks like Seamus will either be 12 or 13 weeks depending on when my husband and I can get down and pick him up!

hdhungryman

Feb 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gordo
You also need to get to know their noises and faces. They can pretty much get away with anything :)

This is a video of our English Bulldog, Gordo. He is very expressive and always uses
his face to convey his emotions and feelings. You will always know what your dog needs. Trust me!!!

People say English Bulldogs are very difficult to train but the truth is they crave attention and they are "food oriented". Gordo would do anything for a treat. We were done with potty training after a week and he knows his toys by name.

Have fun with your Bulldog!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Hi all, my husband and I are in the process of adopting a puppy in the Washington DC area.

CONGRATS ! ! ! !

I have just joined the EBN group!

WELCOME ! ! !

I was wondering if anybody has an recommendation on whether or not they have pet insurance for their bully and if so what the best pet insurance is.

I do not have pet insurance - I do know that you need to look into it, and MAKE SURE they cover Bully Related things - Bullies tend to be pricey at the Vet - or the Vet just see $$$ when they see a Bully come into their office - - - **FIND A VET NOW THAT SPECIALIZES IN BULLDOGS**

Also, there are a lot of opinions on food for bullies. Fromm's looks like the best but it is super expensive. Is there another brand that people like a lot and isn't as expensive?

A high quality GRAIN FREE seems to be the what alot of people use for feed - I have used BLUE BUFFALO - Grain Free Salmon (Horrible Gas issues - as in Paint melting Gas issues) We presently use Taste of the Wild Grain Free Salmon - but there has been issues of late w/ the manufacturer (Diamond Brand) so we are thinking of switching again.

Lastly, do you suggest using a collar or a harness for a bully? I have gotten differing opinions on this. Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!

Collar for Tags/ID/Rabies etc
Harness for walking and out and about.

Rick Dottie and Gizmo
Smyrna DE
(I gotta really work on my Sig and pictures I guess)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Thanks @agingermom! We love the name Seamus! I married into an Irish household so we are keeping with tradition and keeping the family names Irish!

Everytime I see the name SEAMUS I can only think of Seamus Kennedy what a character he is ! http://seamuskennedy.com/ *starts to humm the song, 'I'm a fishing for Chickens, boy am I gonna get a licken, if I'm caught, fishing for chickens*

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:welcome: to EBN. :hiya: You have some wonderful tips above. There's a ton of wonderful articles too here. I was new to the bulldog world until last year and now I have two...:laugh:. There's so much to about this breed that's different than any other, glad you're taking the time to learn about them. :up: Can't wait to see pictures! Enjoy yourself and post any questions you have. :up:

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
Welcome! You've diniteky come to the right place to learn about the breed. Can't wait to see pics of Seamus!

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Welcome to Seamus and family! It's great that you're doing your home work before bringing your pup home. :) You're gonna be an awesome Bullie mom!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.