Thread: New to the Bulldog World

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to the Bulldog World

Quote Originally Posted by ccurran View Post
    Great thanks for all of the information! Do you all give your bullies supplements to their food? Vitamins? Fish oil? Also how often should I be cleaning their ears and wrinkles? Should I be using Witch Hazel on the wrinkles, ears and tear stains? Does that work best? Also, what is the best shampoo to use on bullies? Thanks again for all your help!
    Wont need supplements if you get a high quality food, but some people like using fish oil on any food.

I clean Dozers wrinkles and face everyday with grooming wipes or witch hazel. Either is fine.

As for shampoo's any oatmeal or tea tree leaf based works best.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Seamus
    Likes (Received)

Great thanks. I definitely want to get Fromm's but am not sure what to use, either Fromm's Puppy Gold or the Fromm Beef Fritatta. Seamus will be around 12-13 weeks old when we get him so I am not sure what would be best to feed him. I am concerned with the Puppy Gold since it has Chicken Meal and Fresh Chicken as the #2 and #3 ingredients and I have heard that bullies tend to be allergic to chicken. So would it be okay to just start him on the Fromm Beef Frittata?

In terms of vaccinations, our breeder said that he will be up to date with all his vaccinations, but I don't know what that means in terms of puppy vaccinations. If he is around 12-13 weeks will he still need other vaccinations before he can be around other dogs? I hadn't thought about using puppy pee pads since I really want to get him trained to go outside.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Supplements... HRH eats Fromm Beef Fritatta. she gets 3/4 cup in the am and same in the pm. Her morning food is supplemented by a heaping tablespoon of Greek yogurt as a probiotic, One fish oil pill.... we think she is allergic to salmon but many use liquid salmon oil. She also gets a 4200mg Cranberry pill to help prevent UTI and finally, right now with all the trees and flowers starting to bloom, she gets a Benadryl mixed in. We add nothing to the evening meal.

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    Supplements... HRH eats Fromm Beef Fritatta. she gets 3/4 cup in the am and same in the pm. Her morning food is supplemented by a heaping tablespoon of Greek yogurt as a probiotic, One fish oil pill.... we think she is allergic to salmon but many use liquid salmon oil. She also gets a 4200mg Cranberry pill to help prevent UTI and finally, right now with all the trees and flowers starting to bloom, she gets a Benadryl mixed in. We add nothing to the evening meal.
    Where do you buy the cranberry pill from?

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynStar View Post
    Where do you buy the cranberry pill from?

Anywhere... drug store, Walmart, Woodmans, The last ones we got were 4200 mg but I don't think that is critical... just so they are about that size. They are cheap too. not gonna break the bank with those.

Bulldog Vet in Training LaurenA's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rook
    Likes (Received)

When you get your puppy at 12-13 weeks, he will probably still need another round of vaccines. There are various rounds of vaccines and boosters that they need to get. Your breeder should give you the paperwork for the vaccines he had already received when you bring him home. You will want to take him the your vet that you are going to use once you get him, and they will be able to tell you what vaccines, if any, he will still need. Depending on when he received his first vaccine, he won't be vaccinated fully until about four months. But your vet will be able to advise you when it is safe to have him outside.

I wasn't very excited about the idea of starting the potty training in the house either, but I didn't want to allow him to walk where unknown, and potentially sick animals have been since we don't have our own private yard for him to use. It wasn't worth the risk for me, and in actuality the transition wasn't bad at all.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie Mae "The Diva"
    Likes (Received)

Hello and welcome Gracie is on Fromm puppy food and she is 8 months. I'm switching her to the Fromm four star when we need to order more from Petflow. She has a harness and a collar. Get lots of chew toys she loves hers. She loves her plain yogurt teaspoon of yogurt with her supper. She gets frozen green beans, slices of apples, cocumbers, green peppers etc. as her treats

Bulldog Vet in Training LaurenA's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rook
    Likes (Received)

I was just thinking after my last post... when we got Rook, he had only had his first round of vaccines and had to take him for the last two. It's all kind of a blur to me now, but I think the vet us the okay to go outside after the second set... we just had to wait a week. In that case, Seamus will probably already have the second round of vaccines and it would be okay to take him outside.
    Definitely consult your vet... there is a good chance I am rambling on about something you don't need to worry about!

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ccurran View Post
    Hi! Thanks for all the information! I am trying to do as much research as possible before we get the little guy. We are getting a boy puppy and his name will be Seamus. We are hoping to get him after the 4th of July but are still talking with the breeder. I am super excited! How do you like Healthy Paws? That is actually the insurance that I found most appealing when I was doing my research. Have you had a good experience with them? From the looks of it Fromm's is the best dog food out there for bullies so we will probably go with that. Thanks again for the info! We will post pictures once we get the little guy!
    My 17 year old son is named Seamus!! Hopefully, yours in better behaved, lol!! Anyways, wlecome to EBN!! P.S I use Taste of the wild

I'm a good girl, I promise

Bulldog(s) Names
    Seamus
    Likes (Received)

Thanks @agingermom! We love the name Seamus! I married into an Irish household so we are keeping with tradition and keeping the family names Irish!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Seamus
    Likes (Received)

Okay great thanks for all the information. I will check with my breeder and our vet to see when they think we can go outside with Seamus. I am hoping (Fingers crossed) that we will be able to take him outside right away and not have to do the pee pads! Our breeder is having the litter this weekend and we are first on the list to get a puppy. So it looks like Seamus will either be 12 or 13 weeks depending on when my husband and I can get down and pick him up!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gordo
    Likes (Received)

You also need to get to know their noises and faces. They can pretty much get away with anything

This is a video of our English Bulldog, Gordo. He is very expressive and always uses
    his face to convey his emotions and feelings. You will always know what your dog needs. Trust me!!!

People say English Bulldogs are very difficult to train but the truth is they crave attention and they are "food oriented". Gordo would do anything for a treat. We were done with potty training after a week and he knows his toys by name.

Have fun with your Bulldog!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads