New bully parent!

Pamvhv

Apr 2, 2012
San Jose, California, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brixton, Banksy
Hello everyone! I was incredibly glad to find this forum. I am a new bulldog mother and though I researched for three years before finally going through with the purchase I have some questions :)Firstly a bit about me. I am a literary agent and a writer in the lovely Bay Area of California. I have two children (8 and 2) and a four year old Jack Russell Terrier we bought when we were living in London. I have wanted an English Bulldog since I was five and one licked me in the face before my helicopter mom freaked out and wet wiped me for hours ;) Banksy is 9 weeks old (and already so inquisitive). Those three years I researched the breed I also researched breeders. I used Bulldog Territory in Morgan Hill California. Today our vet (of two years) checked him out and pronounced him perfect. So I am happy there :) My question is when will he sleep through the night? We have him in a circular baby gate because the crate training seemed to freak him out and he would scream. Banksy wakes us up three times a night (my husband is sleeping on the couch beside him) and we take him out for a walk each of the three times. Do you have tips to help him sleep?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
good question. I was the worst at training mine. I would feel so bad about them in the crate so they would end up on our bed. Bella had major issues so I was up about every hour on the hour her first 6 months, just like a fur baby.

Sleeping with us, I can't tell you how many times I had gotten up to change the sheets. Pee pads under the sheets to protect the mattress. My girls are so very very spoiled.

Some one will come around soon to help you out. I do know my bully girls were the hardest puppies to train, hence the work Bullheaded.

Welcome to the site, this place is perfect. All members here will hound you for more photos, so start clicking away.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:welcome: I'm so glad you found us! Sounds like you are very prepared and Banksy is very lucky! We have a Banks here too! I used a great website that helped immensely with Jake. I will go and try together you a link! Hold on..everyone will be so happy you are here! :clap:
They have great articles on housebreaking and crate training. Also new pups!
Here is the link!
www.canismajor.com

Last edited:

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
Welcome .... this is a great site....We got Bonez at 15 weeks and we started crate training that night...he cried for 2 nights ....a week later we got Bitzie ....she was 6 weeks old...she cried for 3 nights....it didnt long for them to have a "bedtime" and when we say bed they go into thier crates.........they are a smart breed !... We also put a hot water wrapped in a towel in the crate ( this takes the place of brother and sisters)............... someone else will be able to tell some other pointers.... good luck with it .... and again welcome:D

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:welcome: So glad you found us! THis is the best site for anything bullie related. Also there are a lot of great people on here that really care about everything! Start posting away and by that I mean :camera: PICTURES PLEASE :) Welcome again and Banksy is adorable! MORE MORE lol

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Welcome :) Congrats on the new addition to your family! I honestly don't have any advice, my dogs are 5 and 6 now, dealing with puppy issues seems like a distant memory at this point LOL I like bellasmom let Samson sleep with me in bed since he was a pup but unlike her Samson, shockingly, has NEVER pottyed in our bed! :)

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
:welcome: I just wanted to welcome you to EBN. My Watson came potty-trained :whew: so I am of no help to you

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Banksy looks like such a cutie! Sorry, can't help with the sleep issue as I don't recall them ever crying in their crates. Hope to see more pictures of your beautiful furbaby.

b5003904.jpg

OP
Pamvhv

Pamvhv

Apr 2, 2012
San Jose, California, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brixton, Banksy
oh my gosh your guys are so cute! I wonder if I will ever get over wanting to squish every bulldog I see!? I seriously think Banksy is playing me... :)

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hello and welcome! So glad you and Banksy found EBN... It has helped me tons since we brought Rook home in October.
First and foremost... pictures please!!!
I wish I could remember when Rook started sleeping through the night... but I was so sleep deprived from the first couple weeks after getting him that I seemed to have blocked that all out of my memory.
We crate trained Rook, and he didn't like it right away either. We had to work with him, at first only leaving him in there with the door closed for small periods of time and wouldn't open it until he had been quiet and calm. I'm sure our neighbors thought we were torturing him with the fuss he made, but it didn't take him long to figure it out and now he goes in on his own or when I tell him it's time for bed. Getting rewarded with frozen green beans also seemed to help a lot! Eventually he will get to know your routine as long as you are consistent with it.
This is our first bully too, and we've made lots of mistakes along the way, but Rook has been very forgiving and luckily this forum has always pointed me in the right direction.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hello everyone! I was incredibly glad to find this forum. I am a new bulldog mother and though I researched for three years before finally going through with the purchase I have some questions :)Firstly a bit about me. I am a literary agent and a writer in the lovely Bay Area of California. I have two children (8 and 2) and a four year old Jack Russell Terrier we bought when we were living in London. I have wanted an English Bulldog since I was five and one licked me in the face before my helicopter mom freaked out and wet wiped me for hours ;) Banksy is 9 weeks old (and already so inquisitive). Those three years I researched the breed I also researched breeders. I used Bulldog Territory in Morgan Hill California. Today our vet (of two years) checked him out and pronounced him perfect. So I am happy there :) My question is when will he sleep through the night? We have him in a circular baby gate because the crate training seemed to freak him out and he would scream. Banksy wakes us up three times a night (my husband is sleeping on the couch beside him) and we take him out for a walk each of the three times. Do you have tips to help him sleep?

There is no right answer this .. but what I can say is that he wasn't screaming at the crate, he was having a temper tantrum at being left on his own. To be honest you need to put him in the crate and ignore the screaming. It's just like having a baby really. Now if he starts to whine in the middle of the night then he may be telling you he needs to go out .. in that case get up and put him out. BUT those times need to be as impersonal as possible ... you can in no way encourage or reward the action of getting up in the middle of the night.

Your husband sleeping next to him is the WORST THING EVER .... you are training him to expect you to be there!!!! So unless you like the idea of your husband sleeping on the couch for the rest of your life ................no scrap that maybe that's a good thing ............... :ROFL: ............. you may have just found the answer to many of the married women on this site!!!!! :laugh:

BUT in case you dont want the hubby on the sofa then I suggest you stop that immediately ... find a plan ... stick to it .... and plan ahead that it will take a few days before it starts to work!

L

Lucy-licious

There is no right answer this .. but what I can say is that he wasn't screaming at the crate, he was having a temper tantrum at being left on his own. To be honest you need to put him in the crate and ignore the screaming. It's just like having a baby really. Now if he starts to whine in the middle of the night then he may be telling you he needs to go out .. in that case get up and put him out. BUT those times need to be as impersonal as possible ... you can in no way encourage or reward the action of getting up in the middle of the night.

Your husband sleeping next to him is the WORST THING EVER .... you are training him to expect you to be there!!!! So unless you like the idea of your husband sleeping on the couch for the rest of your life ................no scrap that maybe that's a good thing ............... :ROFL: ............. you may have just found the answer to many of the married women on this site!!!!! :laugh:

BUT in case you dont want the hubby on the sofa then I suggest you stop that immediately ... find a plan ... stick to it .... and plan ahead that it will take a few days before it starts to work!

I swear I was just gonna say the exact same thing :D

Bulldogs are like babies. When they wake in the night do what has to be done silently and without too much fuss. Slowly the time between waking becomes longer and longer until you find YOU are waking at 5am in a panic, and running downstairs just to check he is ok. Asking when will my baby slepp through the night is like asking how long a piece of string is. What we can say is get it right and it will be a lot sooner than you expect :D

:welcome: to EBN by the way. I look forward to watching Banksy grow up :love: and I am surprised you have so many answers without this having been brought up....
:pics:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Congrats and welcome to the best site ever!! You will find the best and most helpful people here - it's like one bug family. :heart: also like family, we will hound you for pictures. Banksy is super cute! I, unfortunately, am no help in the puppy department as Chunk came to me at 2 years old. But I wish you luck and sleep! (I am currently sleep deprived myself with a new skin baby. :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN..... I have nothing to add to your question but hope you find a second home here at EBN and will become a long term member. There is a wealth of info here and we have a lot of fun beside helping everyone with their bullies. It looks like Banksy is a cutie but please post more pix. I use Photobucket and paste in the link to my reply. That works the best for me. We do have a tutorial onsite on how to upload pix. Anyway, Im glad you joined and look forward to hearing and seeing Banksy grow. :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Welcome! My first Bullie was a situation like yours too. I swear, by the time the baby showed up, I felt like I ACTUALLY BIRTHED MABLE MYSELF!

My potty training advice is just this: be consistent. Stick to a schedule so the dog knows what's expected of him/her. Give her/him opportunities to succeed! Potty training shouldn't be a nightmare as dogs do NOT want to soil in their dens. :D

Edited to add: "Helicopter Mom" lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online