Hello- new bully mom with a food question.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Welcome to EBN!! You have to the right place for any help/advice/support you need!!

OP
petee2

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
I will try that. Also noticed he stops when you "crunch" a water/soda bottle and then I'll say "No Bite". Works for now but i will try your trick too; and yes, the bruises and biting at heels is NOT fun! Tonka is beautiful! I have to get my pictures on the computer and then transfer on site here. Thanks!

C

Cooper11

Brutus was having soft :poo: after the slow switch, he was licking his paws ALOT, the paws were red and his face started to get red as well! I spoke to some members who suggested a food switch to no grain and all stages at 8 mnths...It took about 1 mnth to see a difference from the food. It will take time for you to see a difference after the switch. We know he has some allergies but they arent bad..We were told to try and wait until at least 12 mnths before allergy test which is ok b/c he is sooo much better now! Its going to be trial and error on the food until you can find something...While you are doing the switch try to give him things that are in the food as treats...What I did was looked at the ingredients and gave him that as treats..For instance the Fromm Beef has fruit so the fruit that is listed is what he gets as treats until I know there are no allergies with food. Basically it will be easier to narrow down if you arent giving all different foods...Hope you understand my ramble...I am no expert in allergies...lol ---- As far as the ice cream :poo: I would add some canned pumpkin into his food to help with his stool...The food switch took me about 3-4 weeks to complete..I know some poeple are done in 2 weeks but I wanted to be sure I didnt upset his tummy and took longer so you can do that as well but def give the pumpkin a try!

The biting is something I think every owner went through...They will grow out of it once the baby teeth are gone..I have a 2 yr old nephew and Brutus would bullie him bad! I made my nephew part of his training and llet him walk him give him treats and taught him to correct the bad behaivor it was hard but we got through it! BRUTUS HATES CATS HATES THEM TO DEATH! Dogs he is great with but anything like squirrl, bird, cats forget it!!!!! Your kids are a little older so make them part of the training process and letting him know they are above him in the pack!

Sorry took me so long to answer back! Hope alll goes wel and please keep me posted

:nono: Miss Gracie never went through the biting stage!!! :) But yes snook I think you are right most do! I think Gracie might just be special! :luv:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: and it looks like you already got the advice you needed. Looking forward to seeing some pics!!! :up:

OP
petee2

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
I think Petee is having a reaction to the new food-Wellness puppy. I'm doing a slow switch but, like I said, poop is soft to mushy and today I noticed he's very pink around eyes, paws, belly ,and been trying to lick at himself at the hind legs and seems not right. I've looked into Nature's Variety Instinct beef and lamb--protein is 37% though. Don't know if that would be bad for him. Petee has no choice but to like cats...there is three in the house and the youngest one is as big as him and doesn't take any of his barks or bites. Stormy (cat) will smack him on the face and Petee runs away. Petee will bark and growl at Stormy-not sure if he's showing aggression or talking back to him. It's funny but not funny-if you know what I mean. Thank you for your advice. Cooper is beautiful-every Bulldog on here is beautiful! I sure hope this posts right. When I tried the "Reply with quote" it told me I don't have enough posts to do so which I thought I did, so please excuse me if this comes up wrong, again.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think Petee is having a reaction to the new food-Wellness puppy. I'm doing a slow switch but, like I said, poop is soft to mushy and today I noticed he's very pink around eyes, paws, belly ,and been trying to lick at himself at the hind legs and seems not right. I've looked into Nature's Variety Instinct beef and lamb--protein is 37% though. Don't know if that would be bad for him. Petee has no choice but to like cats...there is three in the house and the youngest one is as big as him and doesn't take any of his barks or bites. Stormy (cat) will smack him on the face and Petee runs away. Petee will bark and growl at Stormy-not sure if he's showing aggression or talking back to him. It's funny but not funny-if you know what I mean. Thank you for your advice. Cooper is beautiful-every Bulldog on here is beautiful! I sure hope this posts right. When I tried the "Reply with quote" it told me I don't have enough posts to do so which I thought I did, so please excuse me if this comes up wrong, again.

Hmmm... normally it takes a while for a new food to truly get into their system and for the old food to go out. However, if there is an immediate reaction of soft stools and itchiness then it may be the food rather than anything seasonal. If I were you I think I would be tempted to try another food.

But first of all ...... How long has he been on the new food ... and how are you doing the transition??

C

Cooper11

O you are fine!! I didn't know you had to have so many post to reply with quote. You do have to make sure you write below the quote...sometimes when smileys and stuff are added you think u are below the quote but then it says you have to have at 4 words or something like that...so you would scroll down to the bottom! :) And Coop says thanks for the compliment! :gum: But yes that doesn't kinda sound like he may have an allergy to something in the food but it does take time for them to adjust to the new food. I am having issues with food right now also and Coop throwing up! So he is on an all veggie diet and he looks great no red face, no red forehead, no red eyes,,,,,I just got the Fromm beef fritatta today and gave him just a little today and a little more tonight and his face is getting red again UGH!!!! I also gave him a bath tonight and his sister Gracie (my mom has his sister) came over and they were playing...Bullies play rough and go for each others face so he could be red from either of the 3. I am hoping it was the bath! I just want to find a food that will work!!!! They say it takes time! You could go with Fromm it is an any age food....many have luck with it cuz its grain free! Seems like the older Coop gets the more problems he was...kinda like more $$$$ more problems! :blink:

So yes you comment didn't notify anyone I just happened to come in here and see your post. Just use the @ Like [MENTION=4581]petee2[/MENTION] that works everytime!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome! I have heard many who have troubles with wellness and runny stools, mainly on the puppy formula. I hope it gets sorted out soon!

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
They are supposed to be out of the sassy biting stage at 5 months??!! Tonka is 8.5 months and still gets naughty when he's in a playful mood. He is not nearly as bad as he was when he was younger though. He will still come up to you and try to randomly bite your hand or if you put your hand up to pet him he will sometimes try to bite you. He also still gets in the feet biting moods where he will go after your feet. Is this normal? Should we be doing even more to discourage this sassy behavior? haha

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.