Short soft palette

alissa

Mar 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet.
Hi. I met a breeder who has a 9 week puppy with a short soft palette. She would like to give me the puppy. Can anyone tell me the prognosis for this puppy and the care involved. He is adorable and I want him to have the best life he can. I spoke with a Vet who said he can aspirate at any time. Does anyone have experience with this. Thank you.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lj24jx

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I dont know the answer to that...But bless you for wanting to take him in..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It seems it is the same or similar to elongate soft palette? Can you confirm with the breeder? If it is, this is correctable with surgery, my boy had it done and he was fine - lived a great full 7 years of life with no restrictions.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Hi and welcome to EBN!
Regarding the short palate puppy I know they can be tube fed to help keep them from being malnurished. A lot depends on how extreme the short palate is. Also, surgery can be done to try to build up the soft palate, but I don't think the success ratio is very high. The breeder could give the puppy to a school of vet. medicine. They are well equipped to tube feed until the puppy is old enough to begin the surgeries. I know of other Bulldog pups that have been given to teaching vet. hospitals. They become staff favorites, get lots of attention, and excellent care.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I dont know much about this either and I am sorry wish I had some advice to give! I just think you are a special person for wanting to help this puppy live a great life! Thank you very much for that! Not many people would want a puppy with special needs! :bravo:

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I am on speculating here, but I believe it would be the opposite of elongated. I believe that the pup would have a difficult time keeping food and water from going down his windpipe, thus the vets comment about aspiration. There is also the risk of pneumonia if food or water should get trapped in the lungs. I admire you for wanting to give the little one a home, but I do foresee some issues and it is good that you are asking first. These little ones are absolutely wonderful but can require lots of time and money. You may be just what this little one needs. That's something you will have to decided. Hope I've been helpful!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Google Soft palate disorders in dogs if you haven't already. Like in all cases it can go all wrong or it can be the best thing ever happened... I wish all the best what ever you decide.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I only have experience with elongated palettes, not short. Sorry no help here.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have not heard much about a "short" palette, only elongated or cleft. Would a short palette be similar or considered a cleft?

I would certainly discuss with a qualified vet not 'what' it is, but how you would care for this sweet baby on a day to day basis, and if surgery is a possibility. Hugs to you....

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] is this what your mom bully has [MENTION=657]mom2bullies[/MENTION]

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION]

Nope. Chesty had an elongated palette.

Most Reactions