Hello fellow bully owners....

carmoyomazam

Feb 28, 2012
Cerritos CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Hi my name is Chuck and last night i adopted a 4yr Bully who i name Sumo. Do you guys have any advise for me??? this is my first bully. IMG_1123.jpgIMG_1121.jpg

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
Sumo looks like a bruiser...great name! Read as much as you can about the breed. They require some special attention. Get yourself some baby wipes (without alcohol!!!) because you are going to need them. Bullies have sensitive skin underneath their ropes (the wrinkle above the nose) and you need to get in there every day, otherwise skin problems can easily develop. Wipe all wrinkles and then dry them. I just use a paper towel to dry.

There is much more you will learn, but that is one important one that doesn't apply to other dogs.

Oh, and try not to leave him alone too much...they are born to hang with their peeps!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
He is so cute!! Anything in particular that you wanted to know? My advice is to not take their unconditional love for granted :) and always give a butt rub before bed haha.

OP
C

carmoyomazam

Feb 28, 2012
Cerritos CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
[MENTION=4411]ollieivy[/MENTION]... thanks alot. i will def love him to death. he is a very funny dog and i am gonna try to spend as much time with him as i can.

[MENTION=3904]Poppy[/MENTION].... Well i know people say there are like a 3yr old kid but my concern is him being able to adapt to his new home. He is 4 yrs old and very active.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I just adopted my Gio 2months ago, he will be 2 in April and mine is very active too! He adapted very quickly to us and our lifestyle and it's hard to remember life without him already! A little bit of advise though is food! They are known for allergies and finding a food that works is frusterating, we just found the food that is working for Gio after 2 months! But congrats on adopting, he sure is cute!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is a handsome boy, and he will adjust, just give him time. Main thing just keep his nose rope, tail pocket and ears clean and dry. Plus finding the right food that works for him will be a challenge.

OP
C

carmoyomazam

Feb 28, 2012
Cerritos CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
thanks guys. one thing i did notice last night is that he was trying to mark his territory. he got away from me once and lifted his leg over the trash can. is that normal???

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] gave you some great advice in your other thread. Basically, it's food and cleaning!! If you can do those things you will have a happy bully!!

Where did you adopt him from???

L

Lucy-licious

You've already had lots of advise all I can add is give him plenty of snuggles, be prepared to share your couch with him and enjoy the loving he will give you. :welcome:

C

Cooper11

Bulldogs are lovers. He is lucky you found him.....or should I say you are luck you found him!

Last edited:

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Welcome. You will have so much fun here. I'm so addicted and you will be too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
C

carmoyomazam

Feb 28, 2012
Cerritos CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION].... I found him on a post. A family was moving and their new place would not allow dogs.

it's weird to say but it looks like this bully shares the same attitude as me. So far we are getting along really great.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..I think the marking would be expected..for a full grown male coming into a new house. Do you have any other dogs? I assume he is neutered. You really want to gently..but firmly correct that. What food is he currently on? As @Davidh said..that is all of ours toughest challenge! We are here to help..lots of people here who rescue and volunteer for rescues. May I all suggest...read..read..read!

C

Cooper11

Yes..I think the marking would be expected..for a full grown male coming into a new house. Do you have any other dogs? I assume he is neutered. You really want to gently..but firmly correct that. What food is he currently on? As @Davidh said..that is all of ours toughest challenge! We are here to help..lots of people here who rescue and volunteer for rescues. May I all suggest...read..read..read!
I think since I commented on that one girl thread that wasn't working she rubbed it off on me??? Are you having trouble?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Sumo is a good looking fella.
We got our HRH as a retired breeder and she was 3 1/2. She has adapted to us and our life very nicely. She is an extremely quiet and timid girl. Scared of loud noises and prefers doing everything on a regimented time line. She does not like leaving her rooms. But she loves us like crazy. She gets very excited particularly when I get home from work in the evening. But because of her fears it took her almost a year to want to venture into the scary kitchen. We used to have to physically carry her outside if she got it in her head she didn't want to go out. At first her potty training regressed a little, and we had a few piddle accidents.

My point is that Sumo will adapt with time and love. But it may take some time to figure some things out, depending on what baggage his former life has left him with.
And like others have said....good food is so extremely important to bullies. Check out the food recommendations, and if you notice some of the allergy issues associated with the wrong foods that can give you a place to start to find the right one.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.