New Puppy and I have some concerns

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
As long as you can freely take his toys from him I don't see a problem with him bringing them into the crate. I'm no expert though so maybe google that one.

Your schedules actually work out well cos' he'll only be alone from 8-2ish. He may have some accidents until he gets old enough to hold it for that amount of time (usually 6 months). Set up some sort of schedule for everyone to follow and it'll be fine :)

That makes me feel a lot better. I was worried our schedules would have been a problem. If needed I can always get a neighbor or a dog walker to check in on him, I wont spare any expense when it comes to his well being!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My best advice for you is to watch the Dog Whisperer episode about "How to Raise the Perfect Puppy". In fact, buy it. I have a copy and I watch it every so often. It's entertaining AND educational.

Potty training is about consistency. If a dog doesn't pee where he/she is supposed to, it's the human's fault - not the dog's. Period.

Good luck. Your new baby is beautiful and I love his little spotted ear. I'm glad you're seeing a vet with him. Since he's a pet shop dog, he already has the odds stacked against him health wise. Thanks for being a good doggie dad and being On it!

C

Cooper11

We didn't get him through a breeder. We went to our local pet store and got him...I instantly fell in love with him and his personality. I knew he was the dog meant for me after all these years of wanting one. I know they have their share of problems but if he stayed there who knows what could of happened to him (I later found out that place is a shop of horrors and has horrible reviews and law suits against them). I do know some people who got their dogs from there and don't have any problems. Either way, we bought the best insurance plan for him and if he does end up getting something he is in good hands and it would have been an honor to give him such a loving and good home. I don't want to jinx it but I really love this little guy and he just melts my heart.LOL on the farts! He can really clear a room!
I feel ya. I have a brussels griffen that I bought from a pet store! I had never bought one from a pet store and said I would never. I look at him as my rescue though. I felt so bad for him he had fleas, losing hair, and he was such a lover! Even though a lot of us say NO to pet stores those dogs do need good homes too! Bullies grab our

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome to EBN! First of all I must say your pup is darling.

Fromm Gold Puppy is also what I feed to all of our puppies from Mush and up. It is one of the best puppy foods in my opinion.

About the transition. When you first brought him home, he was probably confused and stressed. Puppies will sleep, and be pretty calm the first couple of days they go to a new home and may not be very playful. I experienced the same with my Pookie Bear. But once they open their hearts to you, it is time for play. He is just a baby, 11 weeks old. Like a tiny baby who has just learned to crawl and get into things. He will bite, bark, growl, and express his desire to play with you.

As for the rubbing of the head on the floor, I would also be concerned about a possible ear infection. This with the runny nose combination does make me think he should have another check up just to be on the safe side. The antibiotics may fix those issues, so it may not be necessary, but if it were me, I would ask for them to take a second look. I imagine you have a follow up appointment soon, how soon is it?

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Welcome to EBN! First of all I must say your pup is darling.

Fromm Gold Puppy is also what I feed to all of our puppies from Mush and up. It is one of the best puppy foods in my opinion.

About the transition. When you first brought him home, he was probably confused and stressed. Puppies will sleep, and be pretty calm the first couple of days they go to a new home and may not be very playful. I experienced the same with my Pookie Bear. But once they open their hearts to you, it is time for play. He is just a baby, 11 weeks old. Like a tiny baby who has just learned to crawl and get into things. He will bite, bark, growl, and express his desire to play with you.

As for the rubbing of the head on the floor, I would also be concerned about a possible ear infection. This with the runny nose combination does make me think he should have another check up just to be on the safe side. The antibiotics may fix those issues, so it may not be necessary, but if it were me, I would ask for them to take a second look. I imagine you have a follow up appointment soon, how soon is it?

Thanks for the compliment and feedback!

I, too, am worried he might have an ear infection. I just found a great article on this site with instructions on how to clean and maintain his ears; I will be sure to adhere to those rules as best I can. Although when it comes time to bathe him I think we are going to take him to a place that knows how to wash these guys properly. If possible, I would like to watch a pro do it first so I know it's done safe and right the first time around. Then I can just copy what they do exactly and will be able to do it on my own from there on out. Our next vet appointment is on March 2nd and that is also the day he gets his last shot which means we can start taking him on walks! Until then, we will keep giving him his medicine and see what happens. Dozer is really accepting to the leash so far too, and although he can be stubborn he eventually follows us with it. I know this little guy is a baby because he just loves waking up in the middle of the night with a short bark to tell us that he needs to relieve himself..lol

He has really brought my family closer together, and although he is a lot of work none of us mind at all. It's amazing how theraputic it can be just petting him or having him sleep by our feet while the whole family watches TV. I can't wait for him to grow up and see what kind of dog he turns into and how big he will get!!! The vet said he is going to be huge, atleast 60lbs!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs and EBN.

You've rec'd some awesome advice so i will not repeat..... just wanted to say HI and good luck

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thank you everyone for the heart warming welcome! I look forward in growing with this community and arming myself with as much knowledge as possible in order to give my Bully the best!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Dozer is such a Cutie!!! I just love that expression on his face.

Ok, regarding pooping in his crate. That's not natural, so it could be that his crate is too big, or that he stayed there too long. If the crate is too big, you can make it smaller by putting a barrier that keeps him in a smaller section of the crate just big enough for him to stand up and turn around. The way I potty trained, I went with a fixed schedule starting from every 2 hours to today's every 4 hours (they can hold it for more than 8 hours but I work from home, so every 4 hours works just fine). Before the dogs get trained, they stay in the crate if my attention is not 100% on the dog unless they're sitting on my lap. I find that it becomes harder to potty train them if they mess up a few times.

Yes, you may have allergies that is causing the itchiness. It can be the food or it can be environmental. But since he's indoors the entire time, chances are its the food. I don't think you should switch as of now though. Fromm is good food. If you like, you can go to the Fromm Grain Free formula that may help with food allergies. When he gets older, you can order an allergy test done. It's probably covered by insurance.

He's still young, so you are going to experience growling, nipping, etc. Just keep a close eye on it that it doesn't get out of hand.

This is soooo exciting!

C

Cooper11

Cooper must not be normal :ashamed: because he :poo: in kennel a handful of times! :nonono: and he had a small kennel. I think my little guy is just full of s*** and can't hold it!:nonono:

SDxBuLLiSHDoG

Feb 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
First Lady Hennessy aka SySy
good luck BrooklynStar. I'm right there alongside you with my little girl FLH (SySy) being born 11/28/11. she defecated twice the first couple days of crate training but has since refrained from doing so again *knock on wood. I'm fortunate enough to have a little bit of help from the gf as she has a long-haired chihuahua rescue and a pom so under her tutelage and this forum I'm sure I can provide her a happy home. I'm sure in due time your handsome boy will become acclimated. I've been waking up at about 2-3AM every morning to let the girl out to potty and actually did not have to get up this morning until 5AM to do so. enjoy the puppy years as he'll be a big boy soon enough...

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
good luck BrooklynStar. I'm right there alongside you with my little girl FLH (SySy) being born 11/28/11. she defecated twice the first couple days of crate training but has since refrained from doing so again *knock on wood. I'm fortunate enough to have a little bit of help from the gf as she has a long-haired chihuahua rescue and a pom so under her tutelage and this forum I'm sure I can provide her a happy home. I'm sure in due time your handsome boy will become acclimated. I've been waking up at about 2-3AM every morning to let the girl out to potty and actually did not have to get up this morning until 5AM to do so. enjoy the puppy years as he'll be a big boy soon enough...

Thanks! Our puppies must be on almost the same poop timeframe. Dozer loves waking us up at 3AM to poop LOL! I cant wait for the day for him to start pooping later. We tried really hard to get him to go potty before we put him to bed but he just wouldnt do it. Just out of curiosity when is the last time you feed her for the day that she started defecating at 5AM?

Last edited:

SDxBuLLiSHDoG

Feb 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
First Lady Hennessy aka SySy
Actually.. she hasn't crapped in the crate since those first two days and has been really good at crapping after she eats. nowadays if she's getting me up in the wee hours of the morning its to tinkle as I think we've both learned a thing or two from the earlier experiences. I'm sure it wasn't too pleasant for her also. Typically, I last feed her at 8-830PM and make sure she potties as needed prior to bed time. I hope your boy makes progress...

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Someone of this site (many moons ago)gave the guideline that a puppy can hold their bowel movements and urine for one hour for each month. When I thought of it that way it decreased my anxiety that I or Arnold was doing something wrong. It just took time and patience

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm just seeing this..sorry! I sooo think he is allergic to probably his food. The whole rubbing..itching..it screams allergy to me! Also the pink tinge to his skin. I think if he is really uncomfortable..it will affect his behavior and definitely his :poo:
What is the protein source in the fromm puppy! I'd give him a nice bath with oatmeal shampoo..let it sit on him for about 10 minutes before you rinse well. It's a soothing shampoo. I'd clean his ears with cotton pads wet with witch hazel. Wrap around your finger and reach as far as you can in his ears. Repeat until the pads come out clean. You don't have to dry the ears out..witch hazel is an astringent and is self drying. Once his outside is comfy..I'd research foods and if there is chicken in that puppy food..That is a great food..but if he has an allergy, it doesnt matter! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.