Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy and I have some concerns

Cooper11

Default Re: New Puppy and I have some concerns

The growling may just be him playing and or telling you he wants something...When I am on the couch Cooper use to growl at me because he wanted up, not the tank can get up himself If I have a staring match with him he will also growl. If you don't feel it is threatening I wouldn't worry about it or if he hasn't attacked or bit you when he was growling. He might just be a spunky little guy! He is cutie .

Well the peeing by your door get use to it. My cooper is pretty much potty trained and knows he needs to potty outside but randomly he will take a squat right in the living room on my carpet and then run knowing he was naughty! I guess when you gotta go you gotta go. Just be happy it wasn't .
    As for the rubbing his head I would think ears also, but if the vet checked it out I'm not sure what it would be. There are a lot of people on EBN with lots of knowledge so I am sure some one will help you out with that. Did you get him from a breeder??? You really have to be careful buying bullies and making sure you get them from a good breeder because they can have so many health problems and temperament problems.
    Keep us posted!
    O and be ready for the...these bullies can be real stink bombs when loaded

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

First of all welcome to EBN. My lovely fabulous Arnold would leap at me when he w puppy if I stared at him and growl but it was just a game. He is the sweetest dog ever unless you are a shoe. Hang in there and this forum will show you the way

I'm a good girl, I promise

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper11 View Post
    The growling may just be him playing and or telling you he wants something...When I am on the couch Cooper use to growl at me because he wanted up, not the tank can get up himself If I have a staring match with him he will also growl. If you don't feel it is threatening I wouldn't worry about it or if he hasn't attacked or bit you when he was growling. He might just be a spunky little guy! He is cutie .Well the peeing by your door get use to it. My cooper is pretty much potty trained and knows he needs to potty outside but randomly he will take a squat right in the living room on my carpet and then run knowing he was naughty! I guess when you gotta go you gotta go. Just be happy it wasn't . As for the rubbing his head I would think ears also, but if the vet checked it out I'm not sure what it would be. There are a lot of people on EBN with lots of knowledge so I am sure some one will help you out with that. Did you get him from a breeder??? You really have to be careful buying bullies and making sure you get them from a good breeder because they can have so many health problems and temperament problems. Keep us posted!O and be ready for the...these bullies can be real stink bombs when loaded
    We didn't get him through a breeder. We went to our local pet store and got him...I instantly fell in love with him and his personality. I knew he was the dog meant for me after all these years of wanting one. I know they have their share of problems but if he stayed there who knows what could of happened to him (I later found out that place is a shop of horrors and has horrible reviews and law suits against them). I do know some people who got their dogs from there and don't have any problems. Either way, we bought the best insurance plan for him and if he does end up getting something he is in good hands and it would have been an honor to give him such a loving and good home. I don't want to jinx it but I really love this little guy and he just melts my heart.LOL on the farts! He can really clear a room!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    As long as you can freely take his toys from him I don't see a problem with him bringing them into the crate. I'm no expert though so maybe google that one.

Your schedules actually work out well cos' he'll only be alone from 8-2ish. He may have some accidents until he gets old enough to hold it for that amount of time (usually 6 months). Set up some sort of schedule for everyone to follow and it'll be fine
    That makes me feel a lot better. I was worried our schedules would have been a problem. If needed I can always get a neighbor or a dog walker to check in on him, I wont spare any expense when it comes to his well being!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

My best advice for you is to watch the Dog Whisperer episode about "How to Raise the Perfect Puppy". In fact, buy it. I have a copy and I watch it every so often. It's entertaining AND educational.

Potty training is about consistency. If a dog doesn't pee where he/she is supposed to, it's the human's fault - not the dog's. Period.

Good luck. Your new baby is beautiful and I love his little spotted ear. I'm glad you're seeing a vet with him. Since he's a pet shop dog, he already has the odds stacked against him health wise. Thanks for being a good doggie dad and being On it!

Cooper11

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynStar View Post
    We didn't get him through a breeder. We went to our local pet store and got him...I instantly fell in love with him and his personality. I knew he was the dog meant for me after all these years of wanting one. I know they have their share of problems but if he stayed there who knows what could of happened to him (I later found out that place is a shop of horrors and has horrible reviews and law suits against them). I do know some people who got their dogs from there and don't have any problems. Either way, we bought the best insurance plan for him and if he does end up getting something he is in good hands and it would have been an honor to give him such a loving and good home. I don't want to jinx it but I really love this little guy and he just melts my heart.LOL on the farts! He can really clear a room!
    I feel ya. I have a brussels griffen that I bought from a pet store! I had never bought one from a pet store and said I would never. I look at him as my rescue though. I felt so bad for him he had fleas, losing hair, and he was such a lover! Even though a lot of us say NO to pet stores those dogs do need good homes too! Bullies grab our

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Welcome to EBN! First of all I must say your pup is darling.

Fromm Gold Puppy is also what I feed to all of our puppies from Mush and up. It is one of the best puppy foods in my opinion.

About the transition. When you first brought him home, he was probably confused and stressed. Puppies will sleep, and be pretty calm the first couple of days they go to a new home and may not be very playful. I experienced the same with my Pookie Bear. But once they open their hearts to you, it is time for play. He is just a baby, 11 weeks old. Like a tiny baby who has just learned to crawl and get into things. He will bite, bark, growl, and express his desire to play with you.

As for the rubbing of the head on the floor, I would also be concerned about a possible ear infection. This with the runny nose combination does make me think he should have another check up just to be on the safe side. The antibiotics may fix those issues, so it may not be necessary, but if it were me, I would ask for them to take a second look. I imagine you have a follow up appointment soon, how soon is it?

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Welcome to EBN! First of all I must say your pup is darling.

Fromm Gold Puppy is also what I feed to all of our puppies from Mush and up. It is one of the best puppy foods in my opinion.

About the transition. When you first brought him home, he was probably confused and stressed. Puppies will sleep, and be pretty calm the first couple of days they go to a new home and may not be very playful. I experienced the same with my Pookie Bear. But once they open their hearts to you, it is time for play. He is just a baby, 11 weeks old. Like a tiny baby who has just learned to crawl and get into things. He will bite, bark, growl, and express his desire to play with you.

As for the rubbing of the head on the floor, I would also be concerned about a possible ear infection. This with the runny nose combination does make me think he should have another check up just to be on the safe side. The antibiotics may fix those issues, so it may not be necessary, but if it were me, I would ask for them to take a second look. I imagine you have a follow up appointment soon, how soon is it?
    Thanks for the compliment and feedback!

I, too, am worried he might have an ear infection. I just found a great article on this site with instructions on how to clean and maintain his ears; I will be sure to adhere to those rules as best I can. Although when it comes time to bathe him I think we are going to take him to a place that knows how to wash these guys properly. If possible, I would like to watch a pro do it first so I know it's done safe and right the first time around. Then I can just copy what they do exactly and will be able to do it on my own from there on out. Our next vet appointment is on March 2nd and that is also the day he gets his last shot which means we can start taking him on walks! Until then, we will keep giving him his medicine and see what happens. Dozer is really accepting to the leash so far too, and although he can be stubborn he eventually follows us with it. I know this little guy is a baby because he just loves waking up in the middle of the night with a short bark to tell us that he needs to relieve himself..lol

He has really brought my family closer together, and although he is a lot of work none of us mind at all. It's amazing how theraputic it can be just petting him or having him sleep by our feet while the whole family watches TV. I can't wait for him to grow up and see what kind of dog he turns into and how big he will get!!! The vet said he is going to be huge, atleast 60lbs!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs and EBN.

You've rec'd some awesome advice so i will not repeat..... just wanted to say HI and good luck
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thank you everyone for the heart warming welcome! I look forward in growing with this community and arming myself with as much knowledge as possible in order to give my Bully the best!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Dozer is such a Cutie!!! I just love that expression on his face.

Ok, regarding pooping in his crate. That's not natural, so it could be that his crate is too big, or that he stayed there too long. If the crate is too big, you can make it smaller by putting a barrier that keeps him in a smaller section of the crate just big enough for him to stand up and turn around. The way I potty trained, I went with a fixed schedule starting from every 2 hours to today's every 4 hours (they can hold it for more than 8 hours but I work from home, so every 4 hours works just fine). Before the dogs get trained, they stay in the crate if my attention is not 100% on the dog unless they're sitting on my lap. I find that it becomes harder to potty train them if they mess up a few times.

Yes, you may have allergies that is causing the itchiness. It can be the food or it can be environmental. But since he's indoors the entire time, chances are its the food. I don't think you should switch as of now though. Fromm is good food. If you like, you can go to the Fromm Grain Free formula that may help with food allergies. When he gets older, you can order an allergy test done. It's probably covered by insurance.

He's still young, so you are going to experience growling, nipping, etc. Just keep a close eye on it that it doesn't get out of hand.

This is soooo exciting!

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Cooper11

Cooper must not be normal because he in kennel a handful of times! and he had a small kennel. I think my little guy is just full of s*** and can't hold it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads