Unstoppable diarrhea

TXSkydiver

Feb 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello.. Newbie here.

I have an 8 year old Bullie who is awesome and virtually issue-free when it comes to health...until now.

About a month and a half ago she started getting diarrhea which in itself is not unusual. She would get it from time to time for a couple of days then back to normal. Her diet is Blue Buffalo and Pedigree and has not changed.

This time when she had the issue and it lasted 3 days I decided to take her to the vet. They said all is well and gave me some diarrhea pills for her to take. After a week or so it still did not work. We took her back in and still the vet finds no issues. = more pills.

Its been over a month now and still no letup. Her behavior has not changed. She drinks plenty of liquids and you'd never know there was an issue until you take her out. Not even an accident in the house.

she is such a good girl. She did wake me up at 4:30am last night to be let out so that is probaably the only thing that was out of the ordinary but she really had to go.

Anyway - I am not sure what else to do. I am clueless and so is the vet.

Have any of you experienced sucha bad case before?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm sorry..I've not had experience with a chronic case like this. I would think its a food issue. Even if they've been on the same food forever..I know they can develop food issues at any time. I do know canned pumpkin..not the pie filling...works very well on diaherria. I think I would try the Bland Diet for a week and add some canned pumpkin. Slowly go back to her kibble...minus the pedigree. In the meantime, make sure he gets her fluids.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], try that to see if it helps. Did the vet check for a bacterial infection? Sometimes they can pick those up by drinking water from a different source.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Frankie recently had diarhea we tried pumpkin and pepto bismal and they didn't work. We ended up at the vet and they gave us this liquid which looked like watery clay. He HATED it but it made it stop immediately. I can look up the name when I'm home and have the vet stuff in front of me. They also gave us an antibiotic and then ended up finding yeast in his fecal test. He's back to normal now. Diarhea has tons of possible causes, including a partial obstruction, virus, bacterial infection, etc. Just make sure they check for EVERYTHING.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Go to holistic pet store and get this stuff called "fast track". It's in the frig there. It's a gel form probiotic. I've used it 3 times and works wonders. Whenever any one of my dogs has gotten horrible diarrhea, I give them this and it stops it almost immed. It's a bit exp but well worth it!!! If u get it let me know if it works for u too.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Here I am the Paranoid Poop Mom. What color is her poop? What is her appetite like? Is she loosing weight?

My Bella has a congenital issue, the problem is it can show itself at any time in their life, in fact it is very rare that it shows up while a puppy, like Bella. Her Gastro-Vet was part of a group that found the gene and developed the blood test. He almost missed EPI in Bella due to the fact he had never seen it in a Puppy from birth.

If you want to investigate and read more. www.epi4dogs.com

OP
T

TXSkydiver

Feb 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
The vet is now wanting us to try a Rx food called DCO. $43 per bag. I'm thinking we will start with pumkin and Pepto then move to rice, bland diet.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Could she maybe she has some sort of inflammatory bowel disease? It could be that it's a reaction to all the meds she's been given recently too.

I really hope she feels better soon. I know how hard it is when your baby suffers. When I first brought Abby home she had diarrhea so bad it was bloody. First thing the next morning we were off to the vet. The vet said she had been sick for so long that she irritated her bowels and that was why the blood was there. She was given metronidazole (an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory). She was put on this prescription baby food type stuff and we gave her pedialyte/gatorade for a few days. The vet said normally to withhold food for 24 hours but she was so malnourished that we didn't want to risk it. She tested negative for parasites but the meds helped her.

OP
T

TXSkydiver

Feb 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Here I am the Paranoid Poop Mom. What color is her poop? What is her appetite like? Is she loosing weight?

My Bella has a congenital issue, the problem is it can show itself at any time in their life, in fact it is very rare that it shows up while a puppy, like Bella. Her Gastro-Vet was part of a group that found the gene and developed the blood test. He almost missed EPI in Bella due to the fact he had never seen it in a Puppy from birth.

If you want to investigate and read more. www.epi4dogs.com

Poop is brown. Pretty solid color. Noswirls of anything else. She is not losing any weight and her appetite is normal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The vet is now wanting us to try a Rx food called DCO. $43 per bag. I'm thinking we will start with pumkin and Pepto then move to rice, bland diet.

do the pumpkin and bland diet for a few days and see if there is a difference. also I agree with other -- ask for a test to check for bacterial infections

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your bully. Everyone here is full of wonderful advice. I'm sure they can help get your bully back on track. Good Luck!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=4318]TXSkydiver[/MENTION] How many lbs is the bag? $43 isn't that bad (depending on the size), it's less than I pay for my bullies food. But I've also noiced a lot of these RX foods don't have very good ingredients.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=4318]TXSkydiver[/MENTION] - how's the pup today? A change for the better, I hope?

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Tess went through that. Finally the vet put het on an antibiotic and science diet for gi digestive system. She seem to do well after that.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.