Hi from Maryland!

Christemo

Jan 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
Hi, bully lovers!
I'm Christine, and my boyfriend and I are currently doing our research on getting a bulldog (and by 'we', I mean 'me', and relaying him the Cliffnotes version of what I found). I'm just getting a bit confused as to who is a good breeder, who are scams, and just generally what people's opinions are on the different breeders.
We found one in a local pet store who has pretty much won our hearts. I know, pet shops aren't the best places, but this shop will tell you what breeder they received the puppy from, they pay for any vet visits within the first year (even wellness), they send the puppy through three different vets to make sure they're okay (and can provide documentation), and they are actually a really good shop. They told me when I went to look at them that they're often not show standard, but are still healthy.
A little bit about me. I have a 15 year old mostly blind and arthritic, with high blood pressure and an enlarged kidney Persian named Gidget (oh, and who was the runt of the litter and weighs 4 1/2 pounds), and a 4 month old hedgehog, Amelia. Gidget lives up with my parents, just because it's easier for her to get to the vet that way, and she's my replacement for my parents for when I go away for school. :p
I'm currently getting my masters in Forensic Psychology in Washington, DC. No, I can't read your mind. :p I also run an online pet accessories shop, Tranquills, on etsy. It's mostly for small animals, but I'm working my way up to bigger.
This is my boyfriend and the puppy... they look like long lost twins...
424420_2671729315944_1337460163_32438704_1463164088_n.jpg

Amelia, the hedgehog.
384534_2282811793249_1337460163_32269742_2106962127_n.jpg

And Gidget, the cat.
6828_100607533292200_100000288616164_13297_6642534_n.jpg

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Welcome to EBN.. I love hedgehogs

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN, Christine. I hope you find all the info you want here, it's a great wealth of info and experienced bully people. Do your homework very well and I'm sure you will have a wonderful new addition to your family. Most good breeders will let you come see the pups and meet the parents. They will quiz YOU to make sure you are right for their pups and you should quiz THEM on the goals of their breeding and what they are doing to achieve their goals. Good breeding is extremely important in this breed and without good breeding you can find yourself with a bully with major health problems. Choose, well.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Welcome! "they pay for any vet visits within the first year (even wellness), they send the puppy through three different vets to make sure they're okay (and can provide documentation)" This sounds a bit too good to be true and when it does it usually is.

OP
Christemo

Christemo

Jan 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
No, it's not too good to be true. They paid for Amelia's well vet visit. We just had to submit all the paperwork and what the vet did, plus, we got her vet records from when they first brought her in to be sold.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Does sound too good to be true so if it is true then maybe you can trust them? I found my breeder thru the bca. If it were me doing it all over again, that is what I would do. I have never heard of a pet store doing this so cannot comment so much. That puppy is adorable tho!!!!! Not that you need me to say so. ;) Welcome to the board and thank you for doing your homework before buying your dream baby.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=4182]Christemo[/MENTION] Welcome and I hope you find the puppy of your dreams soon. I dont know about the pet shop, so I wont tell you what to do. If you have done buissnes with them and you feel comfortable then that will be your choice.Do not shop for your bully online or make a deposit or pay for your bully without first meeting your puppy and the parents.Your bully can not be ship to you via air so if they tell you this is how they will send it to you, RUN the other way. A responsible breeder will want to meet you and talk to you. English Bulldog are a wonderful breed , loving, funny and they are more thatn just a dog!!! Please keep in mind that bullys dont like to be left alone for long periods and they love attention and being with the family. Good luck and may the force be with you!!

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I could have a hours of conversation with you about forensic psychology!! I am a psychiatric RN and could talk psych for days!! That puppy is adorable!! My only question/statement is how often do abnormalities/disease processes occur in the first year? It would be not only devastating to your heart but your checkbook . For example this weekend I have reading/watching about one users bully experiencing head tremors. It was breaking my heart and someone mentioned the tremors don't show until 2 years of age. However, if you are able to check out the pups genetics and visit the breeder, it would be ok.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Love your hedgehog. Are they easy to care for? Don't know anything about them. Kitty is a dollbaby too! Please choose your puppy wisely. Good thing you found us first. Be sure to read a lot of the threads especially ones about bulldog health and food. I've learned a lot since finding EBN.

1dfac7ca.jpg

Last edited:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome to EBN! I'm glad you are doing your homework before buying. That Bully is darling, but it is so important to meet and talk with the breeder and see the pup's parents. As [MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION] said, most health problems don't show up during the first year.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
The best advice is to do your homework... it is hard for me to trust pet shops, because a reputable breeder would not need a pet shop to sell their puppies, their reputation is all they need.

It is always a gamble, and the breeder can determine your odds... whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you.

OP
Christemo

Christemo

Jan 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
Thanks for all the responses!
[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] About hedgehog care... they're not the easiest things to care for. They need constant temperature control, a very specific diet, and a TON of space to run their little hineys off. ;)

[MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION] - I'm trying to get my internship at the Maryland Department of Corrections... I'm fully expecting awesome stories to tell!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of EBN.... and eventually bulldogs! Best of luck with your decision, myself I would not do the pet shop purchase, but if they are willing to tell you the breeder information and you can then research them, it might be OK.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online