I can't believe this is normal, head tremors.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
oh poor little guy and poor you.. not to be a total pain in the _ but when switching food do it slowly.. you don't want to have a bowel problem next.. I really feel for you .. I know alot of bullies experience this.. hoping that switching the food will do the trick.. he is gorgeous! Hang in there

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Chunk gets them from food also. And certain meds. We know for sure Benadryl but other antihistamines hassle been okay. Before we had him, he got them either from his food or a medicine as well. It's frustrating and scary, but I've been told them are more of an annoyance (like an eye twitch to us) than anything. No pain to our babies. I am actually switching Chunk's food because he started getting them again. Until the switch is complete, we also spread out his meals to three a day instead of just two. (it seems they can be caused by low blood sugar so we are trying to keep his blood sugar even by feeding more often and it seems to be working!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I just learned that it also could be vitamin B deficiency...so you could also try supplementing with that.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I just learned that it also could be vitamin B deficiency...so you could also try supplementing with that.

Really?! That's quite interesting! I'll have to look into that too.

OP
Phyllis

Phyllis

Jan 19, 2012
Northport, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
I've started switching his food, couldn't find beef & fritta so I'm trying the white fish. Riisi do you know which supplements? I hope something works! I 'm nervous to leave him alone not knowing what would happen if someone wasnt around to give him ice & distact him. Lucky for me I have an office in my home so im always around.The vet suggested I let one run its coarse (not distact him) to see how long an episode would last. This way I'd be more comfortable leaving him alone. So far I only lasted 3 minutes I feel bad for my poor baby:(

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Keep us updated on how the food switch works! I just switched Chunk and head tremors are gone. Amazing how much of a difference the food can make.

OP
Phyllis

Phyllis

Jan 19, 2012
Northport, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Still no change, yesterday he had 8 episodes, but tonight the switch in food will be complete. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Takabout Bulldogs

Jan 19, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Moo
Sorry about your baby. Although mine has never had any, and she's not on any kind of special feed, my daughter's girl just had her first one about 3 weeks ago. Seemed to be blood sugar related in Maebull. My daugher started a slightly different feeding schedule and all has been well. She gives her a nighttime snack just before bed. Maybull just turned 2 in November and never had an issue until recently. Hope your problem rectifies itself soon. I know it must be scary.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Still no change, yesterday he had 8 episodes, but tonight the switch in food will be complete. Keeping my fingers crossed!

My fingers are crossed for you!!! It worked for Chunk so I'm confident there is a good chance! :)

cornelia

Feb 16, 2012
Lichtenau, a village in northwest Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Frieda, Kosmo
I´m new in this forum and say at first "Hello everybody".

My name is Cornelia and i am German. My husband Stuart and I have 2 Bulldogs: Frieda (Goomba Happy Miss Frieda). She was born in Pennsylvania 6 years ago. I picked her up when she was 9 weeks old and flew with her - in the cabin - to Frankfurt/Germany. She is a Bulldog really 'fit for function' and we are very very happy with her. Kosmo, our second bulldog, is her son. He is a little bit rough in his movements, but adorable friendly and wants always to kiss people he likes.

Now I will talk (finally :-) about this head tremor. It is a harmless neurological disturbance. Vets don't know so far what exactly causes this. By the way, it is not restricted to Bulldogs. Especially boxer and Dobermann have this from time to time too.

You can stop it simply with a daily pill of Vitamin B Complex for about 3 weeks. Take the same pills like for humans. Repeat the cure after half a year. Because Vitamin B is only fat-soluble, give the pills in a piece of butter.

You will see, Vitamin B will stop this head tremor very soon.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy

My name is Cornelia and i am German. My husband Stuart and I have 2 Bulldogs: Frieda (Goomba Happy Miss Frieda). She was born in Pennsylvania 6 years ago. I picked her up when she was 9 weeks old and flew with her - in the cabin - to Frankfurt/Germany. She is a Bulldog really 'fit for function' and we are very very happy with her. Kosmo, our second bulldog, is her son. He is a little bit rough in his movements, but adorable friendly and wants always to kiss people he likes.

Now I will talk (finally :-) about this head tremor. It is a harmless neurological disturbance. Vets don't know so far what exactly causes this. By the way, it is not restricted to Bulldogs. Especially boxer and Dobermann have this from time to time too.

You can stop it simply with a daily pill of Vitamin B Complex for about 3 weeks. Take the same pills like for humans. Repeat the cure after half a year. Because Vitamin B is only fat-soluble, give the pills in a piece of butter.

Cornelia....... Thank you very much for participating and passing on that valuable information. :welcome: to EBN. Please, if you will, do an introduction in the Welcome and Introduction Forum. I'm sure everyone would love to see pix of your bully family and of course see more about them. Thanx again and we are glad you joined EBN

C

Cooper11

Meatball had 4 tremors within an hour last night, 6 in total for the day. 2 more this morning, & 3 so far tonight, & it's only 8 pm. I'm afraid to leave him alone. As I'm writing this another one's starting.
I feel so bad for Meatball! I hope my babies don't ever have these!! Meatball is one of the cutest bullies I have seen and his face when he is having one makes me so sad!:(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=4103]Phyllis[/MENTION]..how are things going? Is there any improvement? So sorry for you and sweet Meatball that you must deal with this. :hug:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT YOU PEOPLE?!?

Last night, Bo had a series of these head tremors. Because I come here, to Amazingly Brilliant and Fabulous English Bulldog Land, I knew what to do: 1) don't panic (because it will just scare the dog more) and 2) grab a treat to distract. I did both of these things while Grandma was sitting in her chair, aghast and kind of freaking out. (I feel like I need a trophy of some kind for not doing the same, as is my habit when it comes to my animals - even the fish) I was SO CALM and it's BECAUSE OF YOU GUYS! *MUAH*

[MENTION=4321]cornelia[/MENTION] - if I could give you a hug I would. That's the most awesome information ever. Thank you. I also like the blood sugar theory too. That also makes sense to me, coming from a family of diabetics (I am not one).

I'll keep everyone posted.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.