PLEASE HELP!

Jeanz Mcjeanerson

Jan 23, 2012
Orlando, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Justice
Good afternoon everyone, I am knew to this whole world of forums but Iā€™m so desperate to make sure I provide the best for my bully that I decided to give it a try. I just got my baby Justice (4 months old) just about a week ago, and I am overwhelmed w/ having to make the choices for his food, vitamins etc. I understand that this breed is prone to several issues making me stress out what would be in his best interest. He came w/ this puppy food called Nutro but I see it contains wheat and grain and most of all the top brands listed on this site are free of those ingredients. His bag is just about done and I donā€™t know what would be the best food for him. Also, what vitamins should I be giving him, and is it true I should be applying Vaseline to his nose daily? Sorry for the bombardment of ?ā€™s I just reaaaaaally want to give him the best of care.:)

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Welcome Jeanz :welcome: Finding the right food can be difficult, but it sure makes your life easier when do... there are some good articles here that you should find useful, and if you still have questions, keep em coming :) http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=194-dog-food-and-nutrition

I would think the vaseline on the snout would be "as required"... my Moe doesn't seem to be having dry nose issues, so I haven't been applying anything, but I'm interested in what others may add on this.

Would love to see some Justice pics :)

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Welcome aboard..........
No worries.... there is no such thing as a dumb question...
Only Dumb answers.... and so leave those to me .... :lol:

Just kidding.

Regarding your puppies food, if he is doing well with the current kibble just stay with it..
As the saying goes. You dont want to fix anything that isn't broken.... A good top quality kibble will have all the nutrients your puppy needs so I don't see any need for vitamins and other supplements if he is healthy

Regarding the vaseline in his nose rope, that isnt a bad idea. It would be mainly to keep moisture out.. He still a young pup so he may not be experiencing any issues yet..
Just always monitor his wrinkles to make sure they are not becoming irritated.
and monitor his :poo: to make sure it is firm.
Firm poo and a healthy coat are good signs you have the right food for him...

Good Luck..

Last edited:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Welcome to EBN! Congrats on your new baby Justice...can't wait to see some pictures! First, take a deep breath! You are on the right path to taking very good care of your bullie. Here at EBN is a wealth of knowledge and experience when it comes to bulldogs, so feel free to ask anything!

I don't think Nutro is rated very high as far as quality foods go so it might be good to start thinking about trying another one. Telly03 already pointed you in a good direction as far as nutrition. If you do choose another food, you will want to make a slow food switch, which is a slow transition from old food to new food using varying amounts of each over the span of 7-10 days or so.

We apply Vaseline or Snout Soother to Frank's nose when it starts to get dry. At night I will check to see if his nose feels dry, then apply as needed.

We also give Frank a multi-vitamin about once a week or so since he is on Fromm (a very good food). We also will add a squirt of salmon oil to his food for his joints.

Again, welcome! Be sure to post pictures of your little guy and explore around EBN!

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
Welcome!!!!

I'm not an expert on the subject but I do feed my (15 week old) Fromm Large Breed Puppy, he get a powder supplement for tear stains (he had them when I got him) on his dinner with 1 squirt of fish oil, and I don't do anything for his nose. My other bulldog gets Fromm something from their 4* line (she doesn't seem to have sensitivities so I was told it is good to mix it up between grain-free and lower fat) and 2 squirts of fish oil. She has been on dog food since she was about 6 months.

Good luck and I can't wait to see pictures!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome! Take a deep breath! Everyone here is just like you! We love our Bully's and just want the best for them. Nutro really isn't a very highly rated food, but is he having any problems? Itchy skin? Hives? Runny eyes? It might take some time for different problems to show up. I think by reading up on the ratings and also vist the article on how to read and understand the labels on dog food. Whatever you decide, you will want to do a slow transition and it might take more than one trial to find a food that is healthiest AND works for your guy! I use snout soother on Jake's nose. It's available on Amazon and I think at Carolina Pet Pantry. Good Luck and :bravo: for being a great Bully parent!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: I won't add to any of the advice at this point because it looks like previous posters have given you plenty of ideas to start with. Hang in there and with practice this can become like a second home.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Welcome @Jeanz Mcjeanerson , Every one so far have given you excellent advise!! Daily cleaning of your bullys wrinkles, great food(link already has been provided) Keep ears clean, (and their bootie too!!) And you are on the way to sharing many great and happy years with what to me is the best companion :luv:Oh, and lots and lots of kisses and hugs!!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Looks like you got all the advice you need for starters.

93be26ba.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN, Jeanz. You have gotten lots of good advice so I won't try to add. Only thing is, if you don't know how to do a slow transition make sure you ask us and we will explain it to you. Thanx so much for joining and look forward to seeing Justice when you get the picture thing figured out. ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to the site and never worry about asking questions, it is why we are all here --- to help, well and look at bulldog pictures, oh yeah, and have fun too!

You've received some great advice.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Jeanz, not too long ago (about 5 months ago) I was in your shoes with a new bulldog, first time owner (really Arnold owns me and my heart) and completely anxious about making the right decision. Just keep logging in, reading the posts and articles, and asking questions. This is a wonderful, caring group of people that share a common bond, the love of our bulldogs!!

Just for records sake, Arnold started on purina by his breeder. But after reading the wonderful article about dog food and a very informative email from a pro, I switched him to Taste of the Wild. We have had no problems with his skin or digestive system since. It is pricey but worth it!!

Arnold says, ":muah2:

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Welcome! you have gotten great advice! I cannot wait to see pictures of baby Justice! I have two 5 months old bulldogs myself. First time bully owner as well. And every day is a learning process!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Nothing to add since everyone beat me to the advice part but welcome!!!!!! :) Dont be afraid to ask any questions you have. Even if they have been asked 100 times before there are always new members who can help or learn from them being asked again.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online