Hi from West Palm Beach, FL

libster

Jan 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rukus
Hello! I'm so thrilled to have found this site! Our English Bulldog, Rukus, is actually our Grandson. He is 7 and so, so sweet! I'm trying to help in that he has bad allergies, licks his paws all the time, when he's really bad does his "Stevie Wonder" which leaves lot's of spots on the rug that are sometimes bloody and have a bad odor. We have taken him to the vet and they give him steroids and antibiotics which help until he's off them. My daughter used to feed him Royal Canine for Bulldogs (very expensive) and now he eats Rachel Ray Nutrisse. Only dry food. His skin is dry...we used hypoallergenic shampoo. Any advice from you experienced owners? I am looking forward to chatting with you and learning more about these precious animals!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welocme... bravo to you for seeking out advice.

Your grandson seems to have some serious allergies going... food is usually the big culprit. Royal Canin is JUNK food , expensive because they are riding on their name. I know nothing of Rachael ray's (yoo-hoo [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]). A lot of bullies are allergic to chicken and grains are another big issue. My girl Banks is highly allergic to chicken and my boy to RICE.... the best to do is get the boy off the steroids and have a full blood screen allergy test done -- it will give you a list of high/low sensitivities which tells you what to avoid. Keep in mind, allergies could also be environmental, so wiping paws when coming in from outside is a good idea (again, both my bullies highly allergic to grass, weeds, molds and tress)

Bully world is WONDERFUL but a lot of trial and error work before you get them settled on the right food.

Good Luck and keep us post. BTW --- PICTURES!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and sorry your grandbully is having problems. The main reason most bullies have skin problems or itching is from the food they eat. You said he is on Rachel Ray Nutrisse, it has several ingredients that cause allergies in bullies, corn ,chicken, just to name a few. Royal Canin is not that good of a food either. Finding the food that works for your bully can be a night mare. Starting with a good quality food is a step in the right direction, and yes they are expensive, but not as much as a lot of vet bills. The best thing is to get him an allergy test from a good bully vet to see what he is allergic to. This will help with the food selection. There are several people here that know a lot more about dog food than I do, plus there is an article here that rates dog food. Here is the link http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content/dog-food-ratings-219/ hope it helps. We would also like some pics of your boy when you get a chance.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not much else to say that wasnt already covered but also might wanna try salmon oil to help with dry skin. I agree with it being allergies and usually that tends to lean towards food but not always. Might want to try a grain free dog food as a starting point and then all you can do is watch and learn what is and isnt good for your grandbaby.Welcome! :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4114]libster[/MENTION] well first off welcome to the site. dogfood for bullies is a tricky thing for sure. get yourself an allergy test for them as soon as you can. it will save you much time and energy trying to figure out what is causing it. rachael ray maybe a cook people cook but her dogfood is not good. neither is royal canin. its hard to recommend something just off the bat. what do you have available first thing? petco petsmart or do you have a specialty dog food store near? fish oil is a good start for the skin and such. i am not a fan of grains and dogs really as all mine do much better off grains. maybe a good grain free food. if you need help selecting one and want my help just let me know.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..you have gotten great advice. Not much I can add, except food is such an enormous piece of the Bully puzzle. Please get your Ruckus on a better food and by all means get the allergy testing done. It's not cheap, but neither is countless trips to the vet and trying bunches of foods. Good luck and so happy you found us! :welcome:

L

Lucy-licious

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi :welcome: to EBN. Ruckus is a very lucky boy to have a grandma who wants to help make him better :hug:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
welcome, sorry to hear you are such a hard time. My Abby has a lot of allergies, we had to start eliminating one thing at a time. Plastic was the first, we switched to glass and stainless bowls, no plastic or rubber toys and no polyester fiber beds, blankets etc..... The next thing we concentrated on was what she ate, food, treats...everything. We then figured out Pork, Grains and Dairy. The key is to change slowly and one thing at a time. take notes and log differences, time is the key.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. Only thing I have to add is that you said something about Expensive Food.... It's not as expensive as having to take your dog to the vet for shots and all the other problems cheap foods cause. You normally can feed less of the good foods because it has less fillers and the dog can utilize what you feed it better. ANyway, Im glad you came looking to EBN for help. The knowledge base here is huge and please feel free to keep asking for help. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.