Cleaning Tank's Tail

KelseyC

Jan 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hello, I have been viewing this site for quite sometime and really love it! The other day I was scratching my 11 month old Bulldog Tank's tail and realized it was very itchy. He has the inverted "pig coil" type of tail, so I stuck a baby wipe inside, and the same kind of red tear stained color came out of it as it does his facial folds, it also had a strong yeast smell. I was wondering if anyone knows about this, because I never read anything about yeast in the tail or how to properly clean or treat it. It is not infected, I caught it in time, but don't know if there are any remedies to help prevent infection. Any help is appreciated!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Kelsey and welcome to EBN and the world of bulldogs.

There is a lot to learn about this awesome breed, but first and foremost -- FOOD is the key to their health. Use witch hazel on a cotton pad to help clean the tail and folds -- this will help heal, but not prevent.
Most likely there is an allergy -- either in the food and/or environment. Chicken and grains are common issues for bullies.

Go to our nutrition section to read up on dog food and some recommendations.

Also, ask your vet for a full blood screen allergy test --- it will give you good info on what to avoid. Good luck and keep us posted.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Welcome to ebn. We don't have that problem but I wanted to welcome you to the site. Im sure you will get lots of help . Glad you joined.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=4041]KelseyC[/MENTION] this is a common problem in bulldogs with the corkscrew tail. I have three that have this type of tail, clean it with witch hazel every other day until the wipe comes out clean. Then make sure it is dry. Between the nose rope , between the toes, folds and tail, you should be busy wiping and keeping this area free from build up of that smelly brown stuff. Never give up, eventually they grow used to it or run from you. Be gentle and they won't run away as much. Check out grain free food for you fella, it will cut down on this stuff, sometimes the first or maybe even the second food you feed may not be the right one for your guy. I found out that salmon based food can make this brown stuff a little worse. I've started Taste of the Wild Prairie formula three weeks ago, my pack is doing exceptional well on this. The poops are great too, that can be a huge asset. :hahaha: Good Luck , welcome to EBN and show us lots of pictures, it's required. tehe

OP
KelseyC

KelseyC

Jan 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Wow I am so happy that I joined! I will get Witch Hazel tomorrow, but do I need to cleanse with warm water after I put it in his tail?? Thank you all so much!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow I am so happy that I joined! I will get Witch Hazel tomorrow, but do I need to cleanse with warm water after I put it in his tail?? Thank you all so much!

No -- witch hazel is a natural astringent... self-drying

OP
KelseyC

KelseyC

Jan 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thank you! We went and got Witch Hazel tonight thanks to all the suggestions. We are worried parents and the witch hazel didn't bother him a bit, thank you 2bullymama for the help, I worry too much about the details with my baby!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! We went and got Witch Hazel tonight thanks to all the suggestions. We are worried parents and the witch hazel didn't bother him a bit, thank you 2bullymama for the help, I worry too much about the details with my baby!

Not to worry -- we are ALL crazy about our bully-babies!!

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Worrying about your baby is a requirement when you own a bulldog...lol. Welcome to the site.

Kelly aka Macy's Momma

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sounds like you've been given all the answers ... so just wanted to welcome you to the site. Please post more pics of your baby ... I just love that pic on your avatar!!! NOW ... don't be a stranger!!! :yes:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Just want to welcome you and Tank.

55c9e825.jpg

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Welcome, you will love it here! So much information and pics of the cutest dogs on the planet. I have a dog with the same kind of tail and I use a baby wipe soaked with witch hazel every day.. Post pics, we love 'em

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION]...Thank you. I enjoy finding new ways to use my iPad and of course... I always hope to bring a smile on someones face.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online