New in Bucks County Pa.

Stacey and Isabelle

Dec 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Isabelle
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Stacey and last Wednesday I brought home an early Christmas present. A 5 month old Bully girl we named Isabelle. I haven't been a bully mommy for 8 years when I lost my first bully in a house fire. I wasn't ready to get another bully until now.
I am thrilled to be a bully parent again but of course I have some concerns. My Isabelle doesn't have any nose wrinkles yet so her snout looks longer than it should. I'm hoping she develops some soon. I only saw the mom and the grandmom not the father so not sure what her dad looks like.
We are also having a little bit of an issue when she gets on the couch when my other dogs walk by she starts to growl and shoots off of the couch like a bullet straight at them. so far they've kind of just ignored her but I'm not quite sure how to handle it. She gets growly when she's sleeping and someone touches her as well. any advice?

Thanks,
Stacey

380.jpg384.jpg398.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: Stacey! Glad you found us and I'm sure you will get lots of help and advice. From experience, I know bringing a new dog in can be a real challenge. But nothing you can't handle! You mustn't allow her to growl or show aggression. Correct that behavior immediately and consistently.she is young,so she will adapt easily. If She starts at another dog...tell her no, and remove her to a "time out" location. She can't behave like that and come out the winner. remember..growling is NOT allowed. She is a beautiful girl and I'm sure she will grow up fine! Our Bully's are all so different. I'm also very sorry you lost your first bully in such a tragic way. Hang in there..more help is coming!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi Stacey, Welcome to EBN , I don't live too far from you, I am in Lancaster County PA. I see what you mean about the longer nose, this means you won't have as many rope problems and It should be easier to keep clean. She looks a little like old English or American in her line. I have an American Bully and he grew up to be 100 pounds of muscle and probably the most beautiful dog I've ever owned, he's a show stopper. and everybody comments on him. he's not friendly to people but a gently giant to all little animals.. His name is Jack. 030.jpg You can see the difference in size and he has a docked tail. If your bully isn't AKC registered you can not be sure she is purebred English, even then there's still no guaranteeing and like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said, they come in all different sizes colors and shapes. There's a standard for the English though, not everybody owns a show quality dog. Enjoy her, she's beautiful just the way she is.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and your little Isabelle is a cutie. As [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said growling is not allowed and gave some good advise. Just be consistent and she will learn in no time. Glad you found us and jump right in make yourself at home. Sorry to hear about the loss of your first bully.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN and welcome back to the wonderful world of bulldogs! What part of Bucks County are you in? I am in Montgomery County and use to live in Bensalem.

as for the nose rope and wrinkles-- Could your Isabelle be part 'ole english'? Did you get any papers with her?

In regards to the couch issues, keep her off till she knows her place in the pack, sounds like she may be dominate and trying to claim the couch.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Welcome to EBN..... Im sure there are people here that have experience in your problem and will help. Enjoy the site and fee free to join right in. Thanx for joining. :)

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I agree with everyone else. Growling and aggression, esp at a young age, can not be allowed. If growling on the couch..she should be taken off and not allowed till calm. The grolwing while you are petting her, even while sleeping, shouldn't be allowed. Some people (Caesar the Dog Whispering) says you need to establish dominance and be the pack leader. Don't walk away when she growls...establish dominance. Whether it's turning her on her back and making her surrender til submissive, leaving food sit in bowl until you allow you to take it, or letting her on couch until she is allowed. Bubba is not aggressive at all but I struggle sometimes with him bullying his way on couch to play with my other dogs. THey can be sooo stubborn. Takes A LOT of patience! Good luck!

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Isabelle is cute even without a lot of wrinkles. We only have one spoiled princess and no growling issues so we can't advise you here. But we can jump on the welcome wagon!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Welcome! Isabelle is a doll baby and you've got some fantastic advice here. I also would keep her off the couch until she learns her place in the pack. You've got a GREAT looking family there!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome to the family! Your baby has a sweet face! Yep maybe olde english or american in her, she is too cute! As for the growling, I agree get it under control while she is young now, it will only get worse if you wait. At her age I would think it shouldnt be too hard but what do I know? I recently started a thread for aggressive behavior with my newest addition Miila who is just over 1 year old. Here is that link so you can jump in there even if you want. I have learned a lot in the short time of working on her attitude adjustment. Biggest key is consistency. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...73-need-help-our-training-experts-please.html

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.