Looking to get bulldog in January

Lukeg28

Dec 9, 2011
Hello,

Im looking to get my bulldog in January from a reputable breeder here in the UK.

I have full trust in my breeder due to what I've read and I know they have judged competitions here in the UK, won crufts competitions and members of various clubs.

I've tryed to research as much as possible about the breed because I have heard about them getting so many health problems, but my breeder said that her bulldogs are bred for health reasons and only breeds with dogs from other good healthy bloodline ands she never had problems for the last few years.

But I read so much about them getting problems and people are always telling me I'm stupid for getting one due to the health risks, do all bulldogs get Ill? Or is it just ones which have been poorly bred?

Kind regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Breeding is huge because so much is genetic. It sounds like you have located a good breeder. You might want to talk with other people who have bought from her, and ask about temperment and health. Well breed dogs can still have health problems, but they are much less likely. Good luck!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. I'd ask for references.... especially if they say they have not had ANY issues. And then check with the people who have bought bullies from them.
EBN is a wealth of info on the breed. I hope you find what you need, and if not just ask, We love to talk about bullies. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN! As you have found a good, reputable breeder is a great step in the process; however, there will still be some issues with allergies or food sensitivity - just because bullies are very sensitive dogs (skin, tummy, etc). As with any full bred dog (lab, bully, shepherd) they will have more health issues than a mix breed.

Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you get your new baby.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:welcome: to EBN. So glad you're doing research on breeders. I did that too. Overall my Wilson is quite healthy and the only issue I have with him so far is watery eyes which I'm trying to address right now. We have a few people here from the UK that may be able to help you with breeders there. Good luck and follow up with Pictures please! @Lucy-licious! is from the UK and she would be chiming in soon.

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

Hi Luke :) :welcome: to EBN.
It sounds like you have done your homework about bulldogs and like you have really looked into which breeder to chose. Yes bulldogs can have some health issues specific to them but if your breeder is as good as you say then they have done everything they can to ensure a healthy pup is coming your way.
The pup WILL have a health check the week before you bring it home along with its first set of jabs. It will be your responsibility to ensure that you have a health check done within a week of bringing your pup home so make sure you have a good BULLY vet lined up for this job. If you google Bulldog Rescue UK they have a list of recommended vets otherwise get in touch with your local Bulldog Breed club and speek to the secretary they will tell you of a good vet close by.
Also look at good pet insurance the ones the vets reccommend are expencive, we got ours with Sainsburies and its excellent cover at half the price of most :)
Have a good look around the site there is lots of info here about daily care..which is a lot...to keep your baby clean and healthy.

feel free to contact me if you need help with anything :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and you have some good advice above and I agree you need to do your homework on the breeder and contact people who have bought from them. You have less health issues from well breed dogs, were the breeder tries to better the breed. It is no guarantee for perfect health but it does help. Bullies still have their allergies and sensitivity to food, but these can be less in well breed dogs. Good luck with your pup and we will be looking forward for some pics.

OP
Lukeg28

Lukeg28

Dec 9, 2011
Thanks for the information! I've now pm"d Lucy to see if she knows anyone who has bought from the breeder and to see if there are any other good breeders that she recommends! Hopefully will have some pics for you all in January!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I havent read all the replies but I can tell you got great advice already. Sorry if I duplicate.... any dog can get sick, not just bullies. If you go into getting one expecting the worst you will more than likely be surprised. My Cutty is well bred and he just turned 6 with no major health problems to speak of. Does that mean he is in the clear? No, but the basic problems so many have he hasnt, thankfully. Miila had a long pallet which needed surgery. She is new still so time will tell.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't think I can add to what has already been said!! Except to say that .. No, you are not crazy for getting an English bulldog! They are unlike anything else on this planet and in January you are about to find out what it feels like to be owned by a bulldog !!

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Well I can tell you that I am new to this bullie thing an my husband always wanted one. I was not so sure, but when he started exploring other breeds I decided to agree. The breeder sent photos every week and I thought, "Cute dog." But was still not convinced. Well, let me tell you - the moment my puppy was carried off the airplane, I was lost in love. Now, I can't imagine life without my bulldogs, Liz and Amy.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I not only researched the breeeder but called the owner of the stud and talked to him for about an hour!!

Most Reactions