Sort of a "newbie"

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have been a member now a couple weeks or so. Just got real active recently.

My name is Leslie and I have two bullies.

I grew up with them. My dad had always wanted one and for years my mom would save up 50cents pieces she would receive for change. (I know this is aging me) Every time we got one, it would go in a bucket under the cabinet in the bathroom. Finally we had enough. An AKC champion and show quality English Bulldog puppy. $250!!! Yes that is two hundred and fifty dollars. My dad named him Richard Daley. Of course any Chicagoites would know why. That was my dad's plan all along.
Richard blessed our family for 14years.

I am now on #2. Abby is 9 and was a non-papered 9wk old "rescue" so to speak. For the small price of $400, I got her from what looked like a trailer trash pet shop. The women had cages up to the ceiling of all kinds of puppies. She said she co-oped with her sisters. They all bred different breeds. She had Abby's dad but not her mom.

Bella is my 11 month "lemon" or special needs puppy. I purchased her for a nice amount and have spent 2x that on her vet bills. She is soon to be a year and only 31lbs. She is "full grown" due to a congenital issue. I have posted information on other posts. Basically her pancreas does not produce enzymes to digest food and so medication is needed at meal times. This was not diagnosed until 5 mos (which at that time she was only 8lbs, skin and bones) so needless to say, she is stunted. I have posted before/after pictures on that forum.

I am now a major advocate for the disease. If you want more information go to www.epi4dogs.com. I have designed an awareness ribbon and had made up items to sell and the proceeds go to Clemson University for their EPI research. Please be aware, This disease can affect a dog at ANY time in their lives, it is extremely rare in a puppy.

I live in Florida and have 2 boys, 20 and 17. I have my degree in Dental Hygiene but am currently working as an office manager.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Bellas mom, thank you for sharing your story with us:). Feels like you have been here for ages, so glad you have decided to get very active with this wonderful group we have here! :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes it does feel like you have been here for a long time already. :) Glad you decided to "officially" introduce yourself and tell your story.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I guess we joined at about the same time. Sounds like you have plenty of experiences to share with us. Isn't this site the greatest! So glad we've found it!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Well, I don't consider either one of you "newbies". ;) I'm so glad we have you here to help educate with this disease. It's something I've never even heard about......I'm so glad Bella has gained some weight. I know you said she's probably about as big as she is gonna get, but besides her size, has she been affected any other way? Orion is 14 months old now and she just hit the 35 pd mark. She's always been small, her mama is petite. One thing I love about her petiteness? I carry her like a baby. Not on my hip, but in front of me. She will put her head on my shoulder and snooze. My friend has a "baby bjorn" modified for a bully butt.......that she is going to give me. It gets tiring holding her............

SonoftheSea

Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Bulldog(s) Names
Bono, Son of the Sea
Hi Leslie,

Welcome !
I am Sjaak from the Netherlands and I own 1 bullie, named Bono. :cool:
You do a very good job. (epi4dogs) RESPECT

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Well, I don't consider either one of you "newbies". ;) I'm so glad we have you here to help educate with this disease. It's something I've never even heard about......I'm so glad Bella has gained some weight. I know you said she's probably about as big as she is gonna get, but besides her size, has she been affected any other way? Orion is 14 months old now and she just hit the 35 pd mark. She's always been small, her mama is petite. One thing I love about her petiteness? I carry her like a baby. Not on my hip, but in front of me. She will put her head on my shoulder and snooze. My friend has a "baby bjorn" modified for a bully butt.......that she is going to give me. It gets tiring holding her............

Bella had a heart blockage that was diagnosed first, she was on heart meds and we were waiting to see if she needed a pace maker. However after the EPI was treated, it went away, the vet thinks it was secondary due to lack of nutrition. I too enjoy the small size. Abby is so big I wasn't sure about getting another English due to the fact, I am not getting any younger. We thought about a Frenchie, but just couldn't do it. To partial I guess. So now I have my Frenchie size English!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.