New Here!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello Everyone! I am new here and the proud new mommy of a 5 month old english bulldog puppy named Winston! I have a question about his food that I am hoping you guys can help me with! We bought him from a pet center and not a breeder so a few questions have been raised in my mind about what he was being fed. They were feeding him Earthborn Holistic Adult Vantage twice a day. So my husband and I being the new parents that we were trusted them and bought that food. He seems hungry all of the time though and I started researching that food and didnt see very good reviews on it. I am thinking about switching him to Innova. What do you all think of that? Should he be eating more then twice a day? and should he be on adult food already?? I figured the best place to come would be straight to bulldog owners! Thanks so much in advance for your help, I just want the best for Winston! :)

L

Lucy-licious

:welcome: to the wonderful world of EBN..you will find all your answers here.
He does seem a little young to already be on adult food Lucy was 8 months before made the switch, and I'm pretty sure she stayed on 3 cups a day until around 5 1.2 to 6 months then I put her on 2 cups but the quantity didnt increase.
I cant give advise on food as I am located in the UK but I shall shout for [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I know she will help you. There is a very good article here too about the star ratings of food that you will probably find very useful. I'll go find it and post you the link.

BTW we love pics and I for one look forward to saying hello to Winston :)

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Welcome to the site. You have found the best place for bully questions.

Here is the thing. Some of the real good dog foods out there are formulated for any stage of life, so check that prior to buying. We have a food rating guide on the home page. Just remember, every dog is different and responds differently. I use Orijen, some use Fromm's etc....you may have to try different brands to find one that works best. The only caution to that is Switch VERY SLOWLY!!! and example is if you feed a cup, the first day make it 1/4C new 3/4 old, do this for about 4 days. then go 1/2 and 1/2 for about 4 days, next would be 3/4new to 1/4 old etc.....If you don't go slow enough you can have stomach issues and you will never know if it is truly the food or the fast switching. It takes time, around 2 weeks to see any difference.

Also monitor his weight. At his age he should be gaining. If he is losing weight and has loose stools, let me know, there maybe another issue.

Again Welcome, we will be waiting for photos! and not patiently either, you will be begged until you post them. :D

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you so much for all of the info!! I am happy to be here! I am in the process of uploading some pictures of Winston now!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:welcome: Lauren..for my experience..Jake was on an All stage food from 10 weeks on..I don't know about Innova but I'm sure someone here can help. Winston is wonderful and I'm so glad you found us! Yup! We love those pictures!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you!! I will have to get some more pictures! I read the articles that were sent over and was wondering has anyone tried Natures Variety? Winston is a very happy dog and healthy too! He is ok with his food now and has no problems so as you can imagine I am hesitant to change it. I do not want to be feeding him crappy food though! Thanks for all of the help!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Welcome Lauren! Hit the "Bulldog Nutrition" area here and prepare yourself to sit a spell. There's been so much written on the topic that there's no shortage of wisdom and for many - like me - the challenge of finding the right food is absolutely on-going! I've still not landed on the perfect one for my two yet....but I'm sure working on it.

I tried Nature's Variety Instinct and Nature's Variety Praire (salmon and lamb varieties) and they just didn't work for my bullies - but either of these foods could be perfect for Winston.

Did you really get him at a pet shop? :blink: Wow!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Ok thank you for the information! I will definitely check that out! Ya I was in shock, my husband and I had wanted one for quite some time now and our apartment complex finally was allowing them! we happened to walk in there on a limb not expecting any bulldog to be in there because they are such a popular breed but there he was in the first window. After seeing him and how happy he was to be with us we could not put him back in that cage, he wasn't there for long and was flown in from KS so my husband and I were thinking someone had flown him in from a breeder and something fell through once he got here. He is such a good boy!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN, Lauren. Glad you joined and I see you are getting good advice on food for your baby. Enjoy the site and ask away any questions as you have them come up. One little thing: :pics:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: keep reading and asking questions if you can't find the answers yourself usually someone can help you find what you are looking for.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yuo have gotten all sorts of great help already but welcome to the family! Dont be shy, we may be a little crazy but thats ok. ;) As far as evo if I remember correctly my concern with it was a high protein for bullys. I used it temporarily a lonng time ago but then heard that it might be too high for bullies so I changed. I feed fromm and the pups love it but nvi is also equally good.

Most Reactions

Members online