Bella's Battle with EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency)

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Love that this story has a happy ending...she's lovely! Hope many more are saved thru research and knowledge spread thru forums like this one and others. Thank you for sharing!

Jamie

Nov 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
I am really glad you posted this about your Bella. My Victorian Bulldog puppy has had the exact same symptoms since I purchased him from a pet store. Diarrhea since day one, not gaining much weight, gas, rumbling in tummy, always acts like he is starving even tho he is eating between 5-7 cups of food a day, and you can see all of his ribs and every vertibrae of his spine. He has been to the vet 4 times at 6 months old, all for this problem. He has been given countless antibiotics, B12 shot, Forta Flora, dewormed, ect and now after reading your story I went today to have the blood test done for EPI and for the 1st time my vet said she thinks this is probably what he has. I wont know for sure until next week but if I had not read your post I would have probably assumed it was food allergies and that it would pass. We have tried prescription GI food, Blue Buffalo Basics, pumpkin, baked potato, chicken breasts, brown rice, yogurt, cottage cheese... and still the vet says he is 15 lbs under weight. I stay home most of the day and feed him over and over again just to try to put weight on him. All in vain. So thank you again. I am so happy for you that you found your baby's solution. Please keep your fingers crossed for ours.

L

Lucy-licious

I am really glad you posted this about your Bella. My Victorian Bulldog puppy has had the exact same symptoms since I purchased him from a pet store. Diarrhea since day one, not gaining much weight, gas, rumbling in tummy, always acts like he is starving even tho he is eating between 5-7 cups of food a day, and you can see all of his ribs and every vertibrae of his spine. He has been to the vet 4 times at 6 months old, all for this problem. He has been given countless antibiotics, B12 shot, Forta Flora, dewormed, ect and now after reading your story I went today to have the blood test done for EPI and for the 1st time my vet said she thinks this is probably what he has. I wont know for sure until next week but if I had not read your post I would have probably assumed it was food allergies and that it would pass. We have tried prescription GI food, Blue Buffalo Basics, pumpkin, baked potato, chicken breasts, brown rice, yogurt, cottage cheese... and still the vet says he is 15 lbs under weight. I stay home most of the day and feed him over and over again just to try to put weight on him. All in vain. So thank you again. I am so happy for you that you found your baby's solution. Please keep your fingers crossed for ours.

We will all be praying for your baby boy too :hug:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
How wonderful that they finally diagnosed Bella and she is now on her way to recovery what a great story you told, and like [MENTION=7202]Jamie[/MENTION] this will make people aware of this illness.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=7202]Jamie[/MENTION], hoping and praying that your little Meatball will get the treatment he needs to lead a healthy and full life. So glad you found Bella's story here on EBN. :hug:

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver

As much as I hate to know you are going through this battle, I am glad you found the article and maybe on the verge of getting your smoochie face help. Did your vet get you on the enzymes until the blood work is in? My vet did and I knew the very first night that he was correct. I will tell you that there is a wonderful website with all the info you would ever need, including an awesome co-op to buy enzymes direct from the manufacturer, saving you hundreds. It is a congenital issue and the pet shop needs to be told, the breeder needs to be told and the parents need to stop getting bred.

I just pray you are getting your answers and that you can get on to enjoying your little bundle. If you ever need anything, let me know. Not sure where you live, but I am in Fl and there are EPI dogs all over and parents who are willing to help.

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I do have to apologize to everyone for the bad typing and wordage. I wrote it so fast, assuming that it would have been checked for errors and tweeted a little.....LOL I really can write better than this.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It's so great, you were able to get Bella diagnosed. I am so happy to hear she's doing well, she looks great, and very cute. Good job mommy.

Pris0077

Dec 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I have a Frenchie that seems to be leading to EPI. Initial bloodwork showed that he is slightly anemic and his total protein and globulins are low. Albumin is borderline low. So they think he might have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or a malabsorption issue. So today I took him in for his EPI test. So worried and hoping for an answer so we can start putting some weight on this little boy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have a Frenchie that seems to be leading to EPI. Initial bloodwork showed that he is slightly anemic and his total protein and globulins are low. Albumin is borderline low. So they think he might have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or a malabsorption issue. So today I took him in for his EPI test. So worried and hoping for an answer so we can start putting some weight on this little boy.
[MENTION=3169]BellasMom[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
WONDERFUL NEWS ABOUT BEAUTIFUL BELLA, KISS AND HUG THIS BEAUTY FOR ME AND ELMO.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.