An Important Reminder About Bulldogs and Heat

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Thank you for posting this again and I'm so sorry this happened to you:*( I try my best to keep my kids out of the sun, if the door is opened even for a minute they will go out to sunbath and I can't understand why they insist on doing it:confused: I live in South Africa and we're heading towards summer now, yesterday was 37 degrees (98 Fahrenheit) outside in the afternoon, luckily the humidity is very low so the heat isn't so heavy. I'm always keeping them inside from around 10 am to after 3 pm but I stress anyway:( This is great information, thanks again for sharing:heart: now I know the signs and what to do if they overheat.

Noelle390

Apr 15, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luigi
I came across this post googling over heating and bulldogs. My Luigi gave me the scare of my life yesterday. I took him on his normal walk yesterday it wasn't that hot sun wasn't beaming down and there was a nice breeze. He was panting normally until he began panting heavier and began doing that roar sound. I panicked luckily I was with my dad who was able to carry him while I sprinted to get the car. I rushed him to the vet where they gave him a steroid shot, cold bath and oxygen. I am so nervous to take him for walks now- like you said in your post it wasn't that hot he has been out in hotter weather and is a pretty active bulldog. Definitely a scary scene that I never want to have happen again.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
I want to first start off by saying, Thank you. I have been online for a month now researching and also learning training for my puppy. I just brought home my 8wks little Mia (Mia Amor/ My love) two days ago. I thought I had gone over everything but I dont know how I missed this. I live in Anaheim and it was 95 today. I never knew it would happen so fast and them not show any signs or you would not have enough time to save them. I am very sorry for your loss and the way it happen. Thank you so much for this I am so thankful for this post. I have wanted a bulldog all my life and finally got one and to lose her over something I missed would devastate me. So once again thank you and Bentley your angel watching over you.

FANNYSMAMA

Sep 21, 2015
ID
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fannie Mae
I can only imagine how tough this must have been for you. My heart is breaking just reading this. My girl goes to work with me, but this coming summer will be my first with her. It's about a 30 minute drive, and since I live in Idaho, the summers get pretty hot here. Any suggestions for the car ride to keep her cool????

juliawarhol

Jul 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dot
My Lucy got sick once in the car when I stopped to run the rent check up to my landlord and his wife cornered me for recommendations on another apt they were flipping... I know... I know... focus on the treatment. So I raced Lucy home... stuck her in a cold tub of water, threw on the shower, and then shoved a frozen bing cherry up her tush. Worked in 5 min. The Vet scolded me but said I definitely saved her life. Need cold to an area of heavy circulation. Head and gut. I just lucked out and was able to do both.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
My Lucy got sick once in the car when I stopped to run the rent check up to my landlord and his wife cornered me for recommendations on another apt they were flipping... I know... I know... focus on the treatment. So I raced Lucy home... stuck her in a cold tub of water, threw on the shower, and then shoved a frozen bing cherry up her tush. Worked in 5 min. The Vet scolded me but said I definitely saved her life. Need cold to an area of heavy circulation. Head and gut. I just lucked out and was able to do both.

On a side note...I would not eat the cherry. The heat is going to be turned up this weekend 7/23-24/2016 here in the mid-Atlantic.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online