Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Thank you for this. Last summer we had a very hot week and my friend who is an emergency vet said 4 Bullies came in to emergency with heat exhaustion. 2 made it, 2 did not. We cried. My heart goes out to you. But it is not in vain because you WILL save lives this summer. Bless you.

L

Lucy-licious

:bump:

Just a gentle reminder for everyone as the warmer weather sets in around the world.
and a little reading for all our new puppy mums and dads that might not be aware of the dangers of heat :hug:

Wee Angus

Apr 1, 2013
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Thanks for the info about heat and I am so sorry for your loss. I am a new bulldog owner and having read how bulldogs don't tolerate heat, I am surprised how much my 6 month old puppy loves to lay in the sun. I thought they didn't like the heat, but he seems to love it. Is this normal?

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Thanks for the info about heat and I am so sorry for your loss. I am a new bulldog owner and having read how bulldogs don't tolerate heat, I am surprised how much my 6 month old puppy loves to lay in the sun. I thought they didn't like the heat, but he seems to love it. Is this normal?

Unfortunately it is normal. I love to call Rumble my little oxy moron because he loves everything that is bad for him. He would sunbathe for hours if I would let him regardless of the temperature. My job as his mommy is to protect him so no outside time without me present since he also loves to try and eat rocks.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

Bulldogs love laying in the sun so just make sure you limit the sun exposure Angus gets. Heat stroke and/or sun burn can be a consequence of over-sunbathing. I let my guys lay out for maybe 15-20 minutes and then they need to come inside or in the shade.

Yesterday I took them out for their walk at around 5pm; they were panting and huffing after about 20 minutes, it was 81 degrees here, and I didn't bring water with me. I still had winter mentality on the brain, didn't realize it was that warm, and I started to panic, thinking they would overheat and pass out. Luckily home was close by so I was able to get them water pretty quickly. This thread is a valuable reminder to me to not take our bulldogs and the heat for granted.

Mzbhayvn

Apr 25, 2013
Pittsburg,california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
Thank you for posting this. When I first got Fergie I researched everything I could find about bulldogs and discovered heat stroke is the #1 cause of death for bulldogs and I've been extremely Careful with her ever since. I also read that it is 25 degrees hotter for a dog than a human and if in a car can be up to 50 degrees hotter. One article suggested laying the back of your hand on the pavement as a temp guide for protecting the paw pads. We need to remember our bully's are completely dependent on us for protection! Thanks again for sharing, my heart hurts for your loss💔

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
I can relate to the paranoia of the bully owners here. Colossus was out sunbathing for about 30 minutes yesterday, started hearing heavy panting so inside he came. It was only about 70 but Im just a paranoid bully dad who doesnt want anything to happen to my lil guy. He didnt "feel" hot so I didnt get too concerned, just sat him under a fan and let him wander around the living room.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This is a great thread and a important reminder for the upcoming summer months. It is a stark reminder, even though as you said you knew the dangers with EB and the heat, as do most of us, but I also didn't know it could happen that fast, and in what seemed to be not an overly hot day. It's great advice you gave to not let your bully out by itself on hot days, to be able to supervise and monitor how they are handling the heat of the day. Thank you for sharing this information, and reminding us of this important issue, especially since you are sharing it after the tragic loss of your precious baby. I'm so sorry for your loss, and can't imagine the pain you must be feeling. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Thank you again for sharing your painful story, it must have been hard to write this, but if it saves a tragic loss of another bully then it will be worth it. Take care and Thank you

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for bumping this everyone! It's getting to be that time of year and we don't want to lose any bullies unnecessarily!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Exactly the kind of information a new E B D owner needs to know. I've taken Rocky for several walks to use the restroom in Southern Louisiana, no more than coming back inside, found a foamy substance on the floor. Thought he just had an upset stomach, Then took him for a car ride, Temp outside was 82, but the temp inside the car was a toasty 86, Even with the car air on High, being a late model with new air, it took a few minutes for it to cool off inside, Rocky was panting and slobbering, after reading your article, I understood now, The heat was not Rocky's friend as most pets enjoy a warm afternoon, Rocky wanted back inside quickly. Definitely a learning experience, and simply the reason i'm here, to learn to be a better companion and parent, Understanding Rocky's needs first….

KorasMama

Apr 22, 2013
Weymouth, Mac
Bulldog(s) Names
Kora
I'm so thankful for English bulldog forums!!! I love this site even though I haven't been on in awhile. My fiancé and I were laying in bed watching our now 8 month old pant. We wanted
To check the signs since it will be our first summer with her and have been nervous with so much humidity in MASS lately. Thanks again for such an informative post!!! We can always rely on this forum!! :)

frankthetank

Jul 4, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Country
Panama
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2002-2013), Frank 2 years old
Thank you so much for sharing this painful story. I am so sorry for your loss and for the pain it most have caused you. I read your story because I live in Panama, Central America, in front of the Pacific Ocean. The weather here is hot and humid. We only have 2 seasons, rainy and dry. Ranging from 75 at night to sometimes 90's all year round! We had a bully who lived 11 years here in our house, Angus. I saw a lot of panting and purple tongue out. We would give him ice in his plate instead of water, and sometimes even trow him in a cooler with cold water and ice. Air conditioning was his favourite of course. Your dog is too spoiled my friends would say. He never went out in the city except at night. During the day if we wanted to take him out, we had to take him to the mountain where weather is a bit cooler. He endure well thanks God, even with our lack of experience! He died of cancer this May. So sad, we still miss him so much! Now we have a new puppy, Frank, 3 months today and he is even going to be more spoiled...Air condition almost all day, only out at night or early morning, mountain, etc. Nevertheless, I have to thank you for all those specific clues and tips you gave us on how to cool him and how to spot right away the bad signs. Especially the lemon! This will be my outdoor bible for now on. I am very grateful to this site!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
This is such an important thread, i think it needs to be continually bumped throughout the summer! I take Brie out n play frisbee or ball and pay very close attention to her breathing and how long we are out. Sadly, she can't romp outside for a cpl more weeks, but when she can it will be hot. We have to be so diligent when taking care of these babies!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
So glad I clicked on this article. I knew they did not tolerate heat well but did not know the extent. I have a four month old and he loves to lay on the porch in the sun. I will be sure to print this for the family and keep a much closer eye on my boy! Thank you.

:unsure:I tried to print this but cannot, can you tell me what I am doing wrong? All I can print is the reply's, it will not print on Bulldogs and Heat. Thank You, My Otis

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am so sorry about your Bentley, I know how hard it is to loose a 4 legged love one, I lost a Poodle and Boston Terrier in 2 days, Milo the Poodle had kidney failure and had to be sent to Rainbow Bridge, and Olivia My Boston Terrier had a stroke and seizure and passed away the next day after Milo, I thought my world had ended, but I know I will see them again at Rainbow Bridge, and you will see Bentley at Rainbow Bridge one day also. Thank You for posting this on Heat and Bulldogs, I know you have saved many lives by posting this, and Bentley is looking down at you and smiling. God Bless You, and God Bless Bentley. My Otis

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online