I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: An Important Reminder About Bulldogs and Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted tails View Post
    One of my bulldogs just overheated yesterday. Very stressful situation!
    Oh no! Hopefully he's ok!
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

A bad BOY, not a girl! Become a 4 Paw Member LolasPuppet's Avatar
    Ljubljana & Portorož, both in Slovenia, in the middle of Europe
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Lola also overheated the other day. A big reminder how careful we have to be. Her breathing totally scared us. I went on a walk with her, it was like 9PM (21:00). I knew about big problems bullies had with heat, but the temperatures weren't high, unfortunately there was quite a bit of humidity and she couldn't handle it. During the walk she looked normal, that's why I kept going, but when we got home her breathing was so scary that we kept putting cold tissues/blankets on her for more than an hour, maybe two. Then she slowly went back to normal, but I had her sleep under my legs for whole night, just to be sure.

But in a way I'm thankful for it. It's better that it happened now, when the heat wasn't that high, as a big reminder for the future, instead of happening in a really warm situation.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

yes we all need a reminder of heat and bullies. how quick things can get out of control. thanks for posting this

Real Name
    Kassie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rufus McGee
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the reminder! I find myself timing the kids when they take Rufus out to potty ('ok its been 5min' type stuff) I constantly remind them he gets hot faster than they do...
    "You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats animals"

Bulldog(s) Names
    Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for this post, it may have saved many a wrinkly friend.

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member Barbara Ray Linker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Barbara Linker
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Georgie Girl
    Likes (Received)

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this information. We just moved to AZ from CA and this info is so valuable. We are very sorry for your loss - bless you for posting this. I have printed it and posted it above our wash tub where we bathe our bully.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for this. Last summer we had a very hot week and my friend who is an emergency vet said 4 Bullies came in to emergency with heat exhaustion. 2 made it, 2 did not. We cried. My heart goes out to you. But it is not in vain because you WILL save lives this summer. Bless you.

Lucy-licious

Just a gentle reminder for everyone as the warmer weather sets in around the world.
    and a little reading for all our new puppy mums and dads that might not be aware of the dangers of heat

Real Name
    Robyn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Angus
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info about heat and I am so sorry for your loss. I am a new bulldog owner and having read how bulldogs don't tolerate heat, I am surprised how much my 6 month old puppy loves to lay in the sun. I thought they didn't like the heat, but he seems to love it. Is this normal?

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Angus View Post
    Thanks for the info about heat and I am so sorry for your loss. I am a new bulldog owner and having read how bulldogs don't tolerate heat, I am surprised how much my 6 month old puppy loves to lay in the sun. I thought they didn't like the heat, but he seems to love it. Is this normal?
    Unfortunately it is normal. I love to call Rumble my little oxy moron because he loves everything that is bad for him. He would sunbathe for hours if I would let him regardless of the temperature. My job as his mommy is to protect him so no outside time without me present since he also loves to try and eat rocks.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Angus View Post
    Bulldogs love laying in the sun so just make sure you limit the sun exposure Angus gets. Heat stroke and/or sun burn can be a consequence of over-sunbathing. I let my guys lay out for maybe 15-20 minutes and then they need to come inside or in the shade.

Yesterday I took them out for their walk at around 5pm; they were panting and huffing after about 20 minutes, it was 81 degrees here, and I didn't bring water with me. I still had winter mentality on the brain, didn't realize it was that warm, and I started to panic, thinking they would overheat and pass out. Luckily home was close by so I was able to get them water pretty quickly. This thread is a valuable reminder to me to not take our bulldogs and the heat for granted.

Real Name
    Robin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergie
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for posting this. When I first got Fergie I researched everything I could find about bulldogs and discovered heat stroke is the #1 cause of death for bulldogs and I've been extremely Careful with her ever since. I also read that it is 25 degrees hotter for a dog than a human and if in a car can be up to 50 degrees hotter. One article suggested laying the back of your hand on the pavement as a temp guide for protecting the paw pads. We need to remember our bully's are completely dependent on us for protection! Thanks again for sharing, my heart hurts for your loss💔

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads