Frequently Asked Dog Food Questions

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
:up: Great article, not only for newbies, but like me when I joined and Vegas was a year old eating Iams and was a mess. I wish I could have ran across an article like this then.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Why oh why does Petflow NOT carry Nature's Logic? I think I will finish this bag out then I will look into something for Orion that I can order from Petflow. I will ask for recommendations when we get her switched over completely and we start seeing or not seeing results.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
How much protin is too much !!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Please Let me start By saying that Lisa Has done a tremendous job of
trying to do all of this for all of US!!
this is what you NEED to keep in mind when looking for Bulldog food!!!! we all KNOW that Bulldogs are the MOST susceptible to allergies of any breed out there. AND they are totally different than ANY other BREED!!!! not only does it make a difference what the quality of the MEAT & and grain is,, that's in the food, it is also how it is made.
BULLDOGS ARE THAT SENSITIVE-------RESCUES GET THEM IN ALL THE TIME-THE VET BILLS ARE TO HIGH TO KEEP THE DOG. it is years of silent damage, until it starts to be to much,

what makes any one think that the ratings in the dog fancy books ,or any other food rating ----remotely pertain to BULLDOGS ???? because they DO NOT!!!!there are 2 to 3 brands over the years until lately that have kept bulldog healthy !! forget all the advertising on TV --if they have to advertise--there is a reason!!!!! it is to fool you into thinking it looks good to you !!
no company will spend that kind of money unless the must!!!
two brands have been tried and true -((-Natures Variety and Merricks.)) and even the have been gobbled up by big pet food companies!! there are 4 t 5 in the USA ---that's all. and every brand is under those few companies. and those two , Natures Variety,and Merricks,have not stepped up to include a good yogurt type culture,and put a guarantee on it !! we all know pre and pro biotics are the thing t help the digestion and immune system !! there are only 2 COMPANIES that do this, AND use only grade A--muscle meat(muscle meat is the roasts, and prime cuts we buy in the grocery store))IF it doesn't say human grade MUSCLE MEAT it ISN'T and will be coming from the rendering plants !!!!
human grade just means that a human might eat it !!!BUT it is not prime cut muscle meat!!
((FROMM,)) and (((Great 4 Life))are the ONLY 2 who do ,and guarantee it in writing!! you can take that to court!!! they also do not use ORGAN meat--the heart,kidneys,liver,stomach,lungs.THOSE can give a dog stones because the minerals are to high !
now there is nothing wrong with the other foods if you don't mind the meat being by products from a rendering plant !! many dogs do just fine, there is protein in a hide off a cow, or hooves,head contents, as well as stomach contents!! and these are whats used from the rendering plants for pet food. but this is where you will get that smell that emanates from the skin off of a dog. or smell the bag of food you just opened-you can smell the grease/fat !!! it is not a pretty picture! but it is a fact! there are many videos that you can watch to see just what is in the normal dog food!
and I am sorry if this is a bit graffic, But it is the truth!! I am tired of advertising fooling people to show what they want you to believe is in the food, and do not fall for the extra coating on dog food--if that is done it is because they have cooked all the goodness out ,,so that the dogs could digest it!! and that is being hydrolyzed !! which causes harm to dogs!!but it makes it easier for them to digest it ! I think I have heard everything from extra goodness of a coating of plasma! to enrich the food -to this years word that is REAL--- a few years back it was natural, and before that it was organic! this year the word is real -well folks we are not that dumb! quality MEAT,then a QUALITY GRAIN,and then good veggies and fruits, along with a natural,combined with top notch US vitamins, makes a good food. the yogurt (live culture of course) is all we need to have long living healthy dogs. and we all know that if it is good enough for a Bulldog--then its good enough for any breed.
my 87lb dog MAINTAINED QUITE WELL ON 1/2 CUP TWICE A DAY, with Fromm, no filler, no waste
he sometimes only had 1 BM a day- so think about COST a 30 lb bag of FROMM does one dog for 4 months(if measured) that is about $10.00 a month to feed your dog.
HOW MUCH ARE YOU SPENDING NOW.???? and how much waste is in the yard????
not to mention everybody is adding supplements to their dog food!! there is no need .Fromm has the pre and pro biotics in it already!! you will see 99% of all allergies go away, tea stains gone, no inter digital cysts in the toes,no yeast infections in the ears. I haven't had that trouble in years. just simple good food!! thank you for reading this , and I wish all of you a healthy happy dog.

Tonka1

May 19, 2012
concord, nh
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I need help choosing a dog food for Tonka. We started out with wellness puppy food till a little over 12 months, tried wilderness, the vet thought he was having a reaction to it due to his jowel being a little red and some bumps on his lip and his chin. We went back to welness, super5 mix and now he is back to having soup for his poop.. He is also soooo fussy, so I read and put a little cottage cheese to his food. NOW he doesnt even want to eat that!!!! Need to change his food again but unsure what to go with..... He is a prince and yes is way over spoiled! Could this also be an issue, me spoiling him?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I recommend doing a blood allergy test first. You will get a list of foods he's allergic to and they also give you a list of dog foods he can eat. This is where your homework starts. Eliminate all the low rated foods and stick to the 6 star ones. Not all dog foods are on there so you can look up other choices and I would double check the ingredients on their company websites. My Mr. Wilson is a tough one because I've only found three or four he can eat but at least he doesn't have bumps and scabs on his skin anymore. He just has grass allergies now makes him have itchy paws and eyes so I have to wash his paws a lot and wipe his face. Not all vets do the test. Surprisingly my bully vet does not and I had to go to my secondary vet to get it done. Glad I did because I found out he was allergies to lamb and potatoes and he was on a food that had both listed as ingredients.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I need help choosing a dog food for Tonka. We started out with wellness puppy food till a little over 12 months, tried wilderness, the vet thought he was having a reaction to it due to his jowel being a little red and some bumps on his lip and his chin. We went back to welness, super5 mix and now he is back to having soup for his poop.. He is also soooo fussy, so I read and put a little cottage cheese to his food. NOW he doesnt even want to eat that!!!! Need to change his food again but unsure what to go with..... He is a prince and yes is way over spoiled! Could this also be an issue, me spoiling him?

Yoo-hoo.... Sandra!! [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

Tonka1

May 19, 2012
concord, nh
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
thank you. i may have to try to find a new vet, i need one with more knowledge about my dog. At his last check up when i told her that I switched and asked for advice, she didnt really have any for me. They wanted me to try purina pro plan, i KNOW this isnt a good food for my boy. Any suggestions for a vet in the concord nh area? The breeder that we got Tonka from brought his dogs up north but also told us to use purina...... I thought that the old english didnt have as many allergies, which im finding out, i was incorrect in this thought.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
thank you. i may have to try to find a new vet, i need one with more knowledge about my dog. At his last check up when i told her that I switched and asked for advice, she didnt really have any for me. They wanted me to try purina pro plan, i KNOW this isnt a good food for my boy. Any suggestions for a vet in the concord nh area? The breeder that we got Tonka from brought his dogs up north but also told us to use purina...... I thought that the old english didnt have as many allergies, which im finding out, i was incorrect in this thought.

Boy vets never cease to amaze me about dog food recommendations!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Are either of these near you

NEW HAMPSHIRE~

Mercy Animal Hospital
Dr. Richard Kaas
81 Daniel Webster Highway
Merrimack, NH 03054
603-882-0087

Lowell Road Veterinary Center
Dr.Richard McAroy
279 Lowell Road
Hudson, NH 03051
603-882-8825

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well that is the question with bulldogs what to feed. why dont you try fromm. its good food and lots have success with the beef fritatta. my dogs dont want to eat unless i put just a smidge of canned food over their dry. maybe try that. also earthborn holistic has had success here to. not sure how old your pup is but if its over 4 months then these are good choices.

Tonka1

May 19, 2012
concord, nh
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
thank you. Merrimack is closer, still a drive but worth it if the vet has knowledge in Tonka's breed. I'm going to give a call on Monday. I left his last visit not comfortable at all and not feeling like he was really looked at. The woman came in very skittish and Tonka played his bully role on her, she wanted to muzzle him and I said no way....

agentpapp

May 15, 2020
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Obadiah & Wilhelmina
The more I read the more confused I am getting! INFORMATION OVERLOAD!:w00t::fie:

MY big question is... I am bringing a brother and sister home to raise and currently they have them on "Royal Canin" puppy food for Bulldogs. OK so I "Thought" that was a good food :yes: in the beginning, but NOW finding out it is not.:fie:

Then started on my journey of looking at other options when I bring them home in June. READING AND READING AND READING:hangover:
Kibble vs Raw vs Wet??? :hmm:

Can you do Kibble with some Raw?

I was really set on using the Taste of the Wild brand but now I am even second guessing that!

I just don't over spend on food, but not spend enough. I don't want to sound cheap either.

Are their other tips and tricks that we can use with kibble. I read some give a little yogurt once in a while, some apple cider vinegar in their water, and some other things that have me thinking I could try to add to their benefit and well being.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The more I read the more confused I am getting! INFORMATION OVERLOAD!:w00t::fie:

MY big question is... I am bringing a brother and sister home to raise and currently they have them on "Royal Canin" puppy food for Bulldogs. OK so I "Thought" that was a good food :yes: in the beginning, but NOW finding out it is not.:fie:

Then started on my journey of looking at other options when I bring them home in June. READING AND READING AND READING:hangover:
Kibble vs Raw vs Wet??? :hmm:

Can you do Kibble with some Raw?

I was really set on using the Taste of the Wild brand but now I am even second guessing that!

I just don't over spend on food, but not spend enough. I don't want to sound cheap either.

Are their other tips and tricks that we can use with kibble. I read some give a little yogurt once in a while, some apple cider vinegar in their water, and some other things that have me thinking I could try to add to their benefit and well being.

Welcome!!

Definitely you can do kibbles with raw. But you still need a quality grain free kibble like Acana... Herea post from yesterday

I always suggest Acana single protein bags. Start with Duck as itā€™s easier to digest. Acana has one of the highest ā€œmeat ā€œ protein n barely uses legumes as another source of protein with is not meat. Their %of legumes is only 3-6% Most companies will have a lot of legumes or peas which is more as a filler n they get away with indicating on the front bag high protein. Absolutely read the ingredients in the back n not the front.since Bubba is a pup, to avoid allergies, you must rotate protein after each bag. So after Duck, you can take fish or pork or lamb.... the more different protein a puppy eats the less allergies youā€™ll deal with. Weā€™ve all been there. Same time you can monitor IF Bubba develops an allergy towards a protein. Much easier when you buy one protein bag. My dogs eat raw. If you want to eliminate the risk of future allergies, licking paws, yeasty ears, raw is the way to go. A lot of members will testify to that. That being said, you can stay with Acana but a healthy gut n immune system, simply add organs as a topper on the meals. Go to your grocery store, pick up example, beef liver n beef heart. Can be chicken organs too as both my dogs as pups were introduced to chicken as pups n to this day never has chicken issues. Yes feed chicken as pups. So chop up in small pieces. I use to freeze them in little ziploc bags. Like that itā€™s always on hand. Add about 1/4cup as topper. Just a raw topper is ā€œalmostā€ as good as a raw diet. For treats a lot of us uses, natural fruits n veggies. Raw also is top for a natural probiotic. All dogs need probiotics as they all need to have a good gut flora for a stronger immune system. I donā€™t personally donā€™t use vitamins as raw has everything a dog needs. I only it as ā€œfood wiseā€. Read the link Iā€™ve attached and you will be well guided.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/57090-holistic-approach.html

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.