Understanding Dog Food Labels and Finding Bad Ingredients

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
So helpful because I fell for the Beneful with my mixed breed dogs and they loved it...Nigel got a hold of it and loved it but I had to get it out of the house and change the mixed breeds to Nigel's food. So everyone was eating Holistic Select Salmon but then Nigel got finicky (like his daddy [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]'s "Buddy") so when Mrs. 'DavidH' suggested Fromm Beef Frittata I switched and all doggies eat that now. :D

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I also thought Beneful was good. Roxy loves it, it's all she will eat. Then when Abby showed up and we switched vets I found out that Beneful is sprayed with fat and that's what makes it so appetizing for them. She said I might as well be feeding my dogs a diet of french fries. Now I tell everybody that I know who feeds it to their dogs, most are grossed out but I don't think any have actually switched foods. I don't get it.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I thought it would be nice to :bump: this article for our new members!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Great article! When we first got into the pet food business I was taught by the holistic veterinarian who formulates our food to look at the first 5 ingredients on the label. Those first 5 ingredients can tell you right off the bat if it's a good quality food. Then you have to look closely at the rest of the ingredients.

Smashers Mama

Nov 30, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Smasher & Simone
Any recommendations? I am feeding my dogs Beneful right now :eek: I used to buy Iams Mini Chunks, because it was easy for them to chew up. The only brand I really didn't like was royal canin, because it made their feces really soft and runny. impossible to pick up.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Any recommendations? I am feeding my dogs Beneful right now :eek: I used to buy Iams Mini Chunks, because it was easy for them to chew up. The only brand I really didn't like was royal canin, because it made their feces really soft and runny. impossible to pick up.

Fromm, natures logic, natures variety, blue wilderness, blue basics... These are a few popular brands on here. Some cannot be bought at regular retailers, some are found in feed stores or pet boutiques, but all can be found on petflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
Re: Article: Understanding Dog Food Labels and Finding Bad Ingredients

I read everything I could about Buffalo Blue, Fromms, and Wellness Core Grain Free. All are good. The Buffalo Blue caused Bella to have horrible gas. I choose to try her on Wellness Core Grain Free because they label their product as having no GMO products in their good. The transition was a little rough but she gobbles it down and her gas isn't nearly as frequent and is diminishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions