Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Very good article, but I have to disagree with this statement:
"Bulldogs are not in the highest level of intelligence when it comes to dogs, (ranked 77 of 79 on Stanley Coren's Intellegence of dogs)"
They may not be as easily motivated as other dogs, but are very bright and learn new things quickly. In my opinion they also have their own will what makes them ever more intelligent than the breeds that do what you want without a question.

These kind of rankings have probably left some people thinking that it's no use to train a bulldog, cause she/he will not learn anyway being so unintelligent.

Bulldogs are very adaptable too, so if you yourself enjoy laying in the couch, your bulldog will too, but if you like doing things so will your bulldog, cause she/he is so attached to you.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] I to agree with you.... we need to send Stanley Coren some advice for his next ranking

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] I to agree with you.... we need to send Stanley Coren some advice for his next ranking

In my opinion, that makes them even MORE intelligent. A cattle dog will do and do for their human without question and a bulldog will do quite the opposite. I see them saying, "Um...you go do it. I'm having a nap now. Good luck with that ball you're chasing around."

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In my opinion, that makes them even MORE intelligent. A cattle dog will do and do for their human without question and a bulldog will do quite the opposite. I see them saying, "Um...you go do it. I'm having a nap now. Good luck with that ball you're chasing around."

:laugh: so so true

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I believe those rankings are based upon doing work... Working dogs. I think our bullies would be number one if based on actual intellegence! Seriously, what other dog says "heck no, I don't WANT to do that!!!". :up:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
My bulldogge is 8 months old. He is excitable, loving, happy all the time. My question is> why does he start making growling sounds and tries to bite a bit, when I Love him up, or when he wants my attention. Angie

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
My bulldogge is 8 months old. He is excitable, loving, happy all the time. My question is> why does he start making growling sounds and tries to bite a bit, when I Love him up, or when he wants my attention. Angie

He is feeling his oats and that is his way of showing affection and saying "let's play"

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
He is feeling his oats and that is his way of showing affection and saying "let's play"

Ace is 9 months and he has been doing something similar to that for a while if I understand what you are stating. Ace growls but not necessarily at me just doing it and gets all squirmy at times when he has energy he wants to burn off and/or wants to play. Sometimes he does that when he is tired and needs to take a nap and is resisting going to sleep much like a child will do. He gets biting too when he wants to play especially if he has a toy and he wants me to take it away from him in either a tug of war or to throw and retrieve. It's not done in an aggressive sort of way like a dog that may actually be afraid or guarding that will actually bite to hurt someone. So I'm guessing he just wants to play

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I believe those rankings are based upon doing work... Working dogs. I think our bullies would be number one if based on actual intellegence! Seriously, what other dog says "heck no, I don't WANT to do that!!!". :up:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)
i have to agree w you 100% on that. Ppl mistake bullies thinking for stubbornness and stupidity. sure they can be stubborn if they don't want to do something...so can the supposed most intelligent creatures ' humans'. They should relate it to intelligence for bullies...yeah, your bully needs to be motivated more than the average dog..but Y? ...cos they are not dumb dumbs...they get what THEY want in order to do what you want them to. That is intelligence in my book.

Cletus

Mar 28, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Figgy & Cletus
I've been a bulldogger for almost 40 years now. Nice concise article, you nailed it in my opinion. Good job!

Most Reactions