Our Top 5 Recommended Dog Food Choices

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Does the Avocado have to be ripe or can dogs eat them unripened? Many years ago a neighbors Great Dane ate some Avocados that fell off a neighboring tree and he developed so much gas the vet had to insert a tube into his tummy to release it. I'm assuming he overdid the feasting. I myself am allergic to them.

I have an iPhone app that is called Om nom, Can my dog eat it? It says Avocados are somewhat dangerous. The actual avocado is not the real danger. It says the seed and leaves are the biggest danger. Persin, an element in avocados are known to be toxic. Persin can cause damage to the tissue in the lungs and heart, as well as other organs. Avocados have a high fatty content that can provoke vomiting and pancreatitis. The seed prevents a danger in the form of a choking hazard or an obstruction if swallowed.

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank (11/3/09 - 8/4/17), Max (Became Part of the Family 8/17/17
We recently switched Tank to AvoDerm and will NEVER look back lol. His coat is so soft and shiny now it's amazing

Jim Roe

Jul 13, 2011
Yes I have feed both. I found that with Warner, the results were so so. He was having the same problem with watery eyes and staining. I have been feeding Tuscan Natural now since May, and the results are better than I thought could be possible. His eyes have mostly dried up, but he still gets "goobers" periodically. I honestly think it is the olive oil in the product. The ingredients read very similar to other brands, but I never got these results from other foods. None of them use olive oil. Hope this helps.

Jim

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION]..you know, we have had dogs eat avocados that fall off our trees forever! Never..ever had a problem. I can't imagine that unless you were allergic,it's really a fear! When jake's mom was nursing..she was given avocados to help her keep weight on! Jake has already eaten many avvies and while I have to watch him like a hawk so he doesn't eat the pit...he has done fine! One time we had a Doberman that ate 8..yes 8.. In one day! :eek: not a hint of trouble..lol..but she had a cast iron tummy!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I feed lexter the avoderm they have out it's a grain free w salmon and potato in it, it also still has the avocado in it a well. And he has never never a problem w this food... Also alot of people say that chocolate is only poisonous if given in large doses, like eat the whole bad of it but in small amounts are ok. Not sure how true that is so we just steer clear from it altogether.

I told my vet that I gave my Gunnyboy milk chocolate for years and he told me it"s ok but not DARK chocolate thats the bad guy for dogs.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's dark chocolate and the higher the cocoa the more poisoniess it is to them.
  • Milk chocolate: one ounce per pound of body weight (so, without intervention, a 16 pound dog (7.2 kg) would likely die from eating one pound of milk chocolate)
  • Dark chocolate: 1/3 of an ounce per pound of body weight (around 5 ounces of dark chocolate for that same 16 pound dog)
  • Baker’s chocolate: 1/9 of an ounce per pound of body weight (around 1.8 ounces of baker’s chocolate for a 16 pound dog)
  • Cocoa powder: 1/16 of an ounce per pound of dog (around 1 ounce of cocoa powder to kill a 16 pound dog)
On the other extreme end, it would take about 200 pounds of white chocolate consumed within a 17 hour period to reach toxic levels of theobromine for a 16 pound dog. The low quantity of theobromine here is because white chocolate is made from cocoa butter, sugar, and milk, but no cocoa solids.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Avoderm now has a grainfree kibble & offers a LITE kibble for overweight & senior dogs.

Petmart's in Tyler, TX does not have it on shelf at this time, but it can be ordered.

I'm trying a small bag of Avoderm's 'Red Meat Meal & Potato' they did start carrying
on shelf and it is grain free.

Will let y'all know the results, I put Mr Brutie on this for skin & coat issues he began
having altho I believe it's due to flea dermatitis & just found out he has roundworms.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I believe Avoderm has different recipes than the Red Meat Meal & Potato that is
grain free for those Bullies that are allergic to potatoes.

titanowners

Nov 10, 2012
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan
this is great information (if we only knew sooner) thank you for having this available and breaking down the facts. greatly appreciated. we are changing from our breeders choice "royal canin" to fromms which seems to have great benefits which is what we want for our little guy.

Traci0612

Jan 8, 2013
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm still relatively new to the website, but I've posted the yeast & allergy issues we have with Tank. I'm going today to find and buy either Nature's Logic or Nature's Variety Instinct. Both state they are good for bulldogs with yeast & allergy issues! I hope this works!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.