Our Top 5 Recommended Dog Food Choices

sparklle0913

Feb 8, 2010
Houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond and Brutus
wow, i always wanted to know what was best for my bulldogs, i always get blue buffalo for them, but perhaps I should try something new. thanks!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Good article - concrete choices and reasoning to help dog owners pick a good food in a sea of bad ones.

The only thing I would add is that Nature's Logic has more protein content and calories than Nature's Variety Instinct so the warning about protein content and exercise would also apply to that brand of food as well. It was one of the reasons I went to NVI instead of Nature's Logic but I think the general idea of not overfeeding any of the grain free diets is an excellent point.

babypoopies

Nov 29, 2010
I am very surprised that Avoderm is recommended since it has avacodo and those are poisonous to dogs. The cashier at Petsmart pointed this out to me and when I did more research I found that this food had made some dogs very ill. :( I will be trying something else.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am very surprised that Avoderm is recommended since it has avacodo and those are poisonous to dogs. The cashier at Petsmart pointed this out to me and when I did more research I found that this food had made some dogs very ill. :( I will be trying something else.

Avocados are NOT poisonous to dogs! We have many avocado trees and our dogs have always eaten them! In fact..our dobie ate 8 in one day once! Even Jake has gotten some of the little teeny ones with no pits. Everyone I know feeds avocados to their dogs..jakes mother got avocados while she was nursing to keep her weight up. My vet used to laugh that she could tell when it was " avocado season " because zoe..our dobie..would pack on a few pounds. So..your info is false...I don't feed avoderm..but have about 40 years experience with dogs eating avocados.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I suppose you could find an article that says anything is poisonous to something. I can only speak to my personal experience. I have NEVER heard of a dog getting sick on avocados...unless they overate! Some people are allergic to them..like my son in law..and I have a tendency to believe that more than poison! Why would it be allowed to put avocados in dog food...if it was POISON? And it's known to be great for their coats. I can't imagine a cat eating an avocado..so that I can't speak to..but I don't accept ..by any stretch that it is a poison. I appreciate what the article says but it's laughable to me and anyone who lives in southern California ..has avocado trees..and dogs!

Also..if when you read the article..it does NOT say it's poisonous to dogs and cats..it says..vomiting and diahheria ..which I suppose could be a side effect or an allergy.I do see where they are dangerous to other animals.. I think this is an agree to disagree thing..my dogs love them..my friends and neighbors dogs eat them..and so does my vets dogs! I would never put my dogs in danger..I suggest if you think avocados are poison you don't buy avoderm..I don't use that dog food..but certainly not because of the avvies!

Last edited:
OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
ASPCA also states that it is the avocado itself. Not particularly in commercial dog food. The reason Avoderm is on this list is because we wanted to give a dog food option that can be found in pet stores like petsmart and petco. Not all of the top brands are easily accessable for everyone and some do not want to order online.

Here is an article from AvoDerm website to read as well:

http://www.avodermnatural.com/About/why_avocados.htm

I personally used this dog food and my Molly did wonderful on the lamb formula. But not all dogs will do great on it, it depends on the dog. Many have had success with NVI and I just tried it on Molly and she became a yeasty mess. With dog food it is trial and error until you find the right one.

I also read the biggest concern with dogs eating avocados is that they swallow the pit and can get a blockage.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I feed lexter the avoderm they have out it's a grain free w salmon and potato in it, it also still has the avocado in it a well. And he has never never a problem w this food... Also alot of people say that chocolate is only poisonous if given in large doses, like eat the whole bad of it but in small amounts are ok. Not sure how true that is so we just steer clear from it altogether.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I read the avoderm article that [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] has a link to. These are my experiences exactly. I totally forgot about all the black bears we have that climb these trees and gorge on the fruit. I can see where eating a pit would be dangerous..we've never encountered a dog that didn't know to only eat the meat...even our dobie..Zoe..who ate like a goat! Thanks for great info everybody!

Jim Roe

Jul 13, 2011
I found a new food at my local feed store. It is called Tuscan natural....I have been feeding "Warner" it for the last two months and he is doing better than ever. I know that everyone has an opinion on dog food, but I am big on researching nutrition, and I really like what this food has to offer. First, they utilize Olive oil. The health benefits are wonderful. Secondly, they promote the fact that this product is mainly monunsaturated fat, which helps build the immune system. Poly fats are immune system depressants. Lastly this company uses no re-grind in the product. I have always fed my bulldog what I consider the best, (Innova) until PG purchased Natura. Now I won't feed those products.
If any of you are feeding Tuscan, give me your thoughts. If you are feeding a better food, I would like to know what it is so I can check it out. Thanks.

Jim

Has anyone used SoJo's? I recently switched our baby over to the Raw Turkey SoJo's. She seems to be doing better but is still having awful time with watery eyes. The vet suggsted moving over to Royal Canine Hypoallergenic for a while. Has anyone tried either?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Has anyone used SoJo's? I recently switched our baby over to the Raw Turkey SoJo's. She seems to be doing better but is still having awful time with watery eyes. The vet suggsted moving over to Royal Canine Hypoallergenic for a while. Has anyone tried either?

:hiya: you might want to post a question under the food and nutrition forum! Start a new thread. A lot of people won't see this. I'm not very good with food but we have a lot of people that are. I do know Royal Canin isn't very highly rated and/or thought of. I'll tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]she knows a lot about food.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.