Hip Dysplasia in English Bulldogs

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Great Article.

Abby was diagnosed after an injury at about 4 years old. The vet said she would perform a FHO and that Bulldogs do great with it because they are so muscular. She however said she would need to "borrow" instruments, since she hadn't done it since school. :eek:

I had to wait until her torn knee was healed, so with waiting I was giving her Rimadyl and it helped her hips. So Terri and I decided to wait even longer, that is when we discovered the difference in a Good food! We switched her to Innova Senior for the joint help and it was a tremendous difference. This was almost 6 years ago and finding Innova or any decent food was next to impossible around here. One little feed store carried it and that was it. By the time all my friends heard about it working, I think that feed store had to have an entire shelving unit stocked.
Now at 10 she is on a supplemental (all natural) arthritis chewable that helps with pain and also inflammation.
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION], Thank you for this, it will help a lot of owners and dogs out there.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Re: Article: Hip Dysplasia in English Bulldogs

Excellent Article [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] :up:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thank you for great article. Well Done

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] could you post that picture of Truman sitting strangely?

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman

Sure [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - here? Or in the article?

Here it is, hard for me to look at now:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jenni

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey and Ruger
Wow everyone! Thank you all so much my 2 yr old Audrey was limping but not crying at all, so I took her to vet and she has left hip dysplagia and right knee cruicate ligament torn! Yalls comments have been very helpful. My vet said she had to lose 15 lbs , she has lost 2lbs in two weeks! Again thank you everyone

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] - that picture of Truman, what does that represent? My Colossus does that quite a bit, especially as hes laying on the side of his bed. His feet are more straight back though. Is that a sign of hip dysplasia?

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] - that picture of Truman, what does that represent? My Colossus does that quite a bit, especially as hes laying on the side of his bed. His feet are more straight back though. Is that a sign of hip dysplasia?

It's not necessarily cause for concern - many dogs lay "frog dog" - but if your baby is sitting like this, that is, in a seated position with his legs behind him, it is a sign of laxity in the hips and you might have to have him evaluated for hip dysplasia. Until I saw Truman doing it, I have never seen a dog sit like that before.

It's not to be confused with this, which is super common:

173963236_3be2872dbb.jpg

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Thank you for the clarification. Colossus does both, I have an appointment with the Vet to get his boosters this weekend, so Ill have him double check his hips. He did a very thorough check on his hind quarters when I took him in right after I got Colossus, and didnt mention anything about loose hips, but did mention a left knee cap. Ive checked Colossus' hips too, and didnt notice anything "loose."

KentuckyBully

Jun 28, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey and Minnie
Minnie just had the JPS surgery at 15 weeks. The outlook is very good. We are so fortunate we have a good vet that checked her hips like she did when we got her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Minnie just had the JPS surgery at 15 weeks. The outlook is very good. We are so fortunate we have a good vet that checked her hips like she did when we got her.

Great news... hope she has a quick recovery

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.