Ugggh!!! How do I get rid of these tear stains on my English Bulldog?

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Don't wipe it off, it will kind of melt into the fur. This is a great "home remedy" and it really helps remove the cor of stains. I am now using Malacetic Ultra if we have any staining and you can see the stain come off on the cotton ball. I don't have too much problems with tear stains since my bullies are on a great food, but the stuff works awesome for touch ups.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Good advice [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] We dont have that issue thank goodness. Brutus is 10 months and no tear stains I can see. He is red so its harder to notice but I do clean his face 3x a day. He drools a lot so have to keep him dry and he never is wet from tears so I hope it continues. Thanks to the great advice on food when I joined I havent had any issues!

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=4669]brandanhuber[/MENTION] lisa (desertskybulldogs) replied to you above :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Do you leave the cornstarch mixture on always, or do you wipe it off after so much time has passed???
Put it on lightly about twice a day cleaning the fold after each application. This didn't work for me and Wilson's tear staining turned out to be food related, and teething when he was younger He's just transitioned to a grain free food these past several weeks and for once his tear staining has completely clearned up, I can see the true color of his fur in the fold and he's rarely wet now in the fold.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
@desertskybulldogs the BIGGEST EASIEST WAY, is PREVENTION - let me ask all of you tear stain people -

Filtered? or Tap water? If you do not give your bully filterer water, you are more likely to get tear stains - Go out and buy a BRITA Water Filter Pitcher if need be - give it a month or so. you should be seeing a difference :)

Grain Free Food is another help - but Filtered Water seems to work for most

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You know, I don't use filtered water....and that's been suggested here before many times. My water district here has AWARD WINNING quality water - but hey, why not try it? I think I'll give it a shot. What the hell, right?

M

mabel lou

I would use a cone if you have one available and then remove it after a while, it is just a suggestion after reading. I will be doing this if I need to do the tear stain removal.

DawgPoundBully

Nov 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel
I am a new member to this site but have been a guest for a period of time now. I use Tylan powder when I have issues with tear stains. I get it from amazon I think I only paid $20-25 for 100g. I was told to use this by my breeder who also has over 22 years of Vet experience.

You only use a pinch or so over the food daily until the stains are gone. You will notice a difference after a few days. You still have to maintain the area as best as you can but using this powder has really taken away some of the worries of the dreaded tear stains.

I know there is a lot of products that are made just for this problem and there are mixes you can make at home that will work as well but I can truly speak from experience. It really works. I hope that this post will help others just as this has helped me.

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
I am a new member to this site but have been a guest for a period of time now. I use Tylan powder when I have issues with tear stains. I get it from amazon I think I only paid $20-25 for 100g. I was told to use this by my breeder who also has over 22 years of Vet experience.

You only use a pinch or so over the food daily until the stains are gone. You will notice a difference after a few days. You still have to maintain the area as best as you can but using this powder has really taken away some of the worries of the dreaded tear stains.

I know there is a lot of products that are made just for this problem and there are mixes you can make at home that will work as well but I can truly speak from experience. It really works. I hope that this post will help others just as this has helped me.

I might try out that powder

Checked the reviews on Amazon and it seems fantastic!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I haven't tried this one either, but I read that you can use contact lens solution to remove the tear stains. This is safe for dogs eyes, as it is used on contacts and is safe for human eyes.

Leannie

Jan 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bently, And Maddie
does anyone know what to do for dry eyes the meds aren't working this 1% tacrololus are something like that but no help eye bugger galore. thanks any advice I'll take

RoxysMomma

Jul 25, 2013
maine
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy lowery, Stella Lowery
they sell a really great face cleaner at petco called spa face cleaner, its blueberry "smell" and its took my bullys tear stains away with in about a week of use, I swear by it just a suggestion.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Ok so I tried the cornstarch mixture but it made it as hard as a rock. I added more hydrogen peroxide till it makes it workable. I just want to make sure it won't harm him in any way since I had to add more of one.

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
I started using the new Bert's Bees Tear Stain Remover for dogs. I love B'sBs products so I had to try it. Like all their products, it's totally natural and safe. It says on the bottle that it takes some time for the beneficial effects to be observed. It's been about three weeks now, and I'm starting to see improvement. Daisy doesn't object to it at all. I'm thinking that it will be the answer. Incidentally, I'm also using B'sBs Nose and Paw Lotion on Lily's nose, and that brown crusty crud is gone. I'm really pleased with that!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Re: Article: Ugggh!!! How do I get rid of these tear stains on my English Bulldog?

Im a bit vary of trying mixed hydrogen peroxide ,it must be bad for their delicate skin ? (Especially for bullies with prone to skin allergies)
So far warm water cloth twice a day is working wonders -not sure how long it will last (now we added witch hazel weekly)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.