Ugggh!!! How do I get rid of these tear stains on my English Bulldog?

patricia

Apr 8, 2011
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Kairos
Thanks for all the info!!!!! :up:
I was reading the top 5 foods and I dont think we have any of those where we live :down: We recently started Blue Buffalo... has anyone used that brand??.... we are going with BB Wilderness Salmon... it works well and helps with his allergies. Has anyone used Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon?? If anyone has, What is your opinion?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
What about santa's cookies? I suppose parents eat those too?

Who sent this Christmas Gram?
What's a Christmas Gram? I want one!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I wonder if it is yeasty if you can use an althlete's foot cream like Lotrimin. When my daughter had a yeast diaper rash, the doc told us to use that and it worked like a dream. It is just anti-fungal. Might need to ask a vet :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Ok..I've been doing the concoction that I described. 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 MOM and enough cornstarch to create a paste. Here is my problem. I don't have to wait for it to dry. Orion will find a way to rub it off. (it may be too pasty) I've found it on the couch, carpet, blanket and the wall) Not only that, she is like Buddy the Elf and she eats the stuff off my finger faster than I can get it onto her face. But... I'm still doing it.

I was thinking of trying this today for Wilson's tear stains. How did it finally work for Buddy the Elf, :D?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I was thinking of trying this today for Wilson's tear stains. How did it finally work for Buddy the Elf, :D?

It didn't. We had underlying issues with food allergies, so we switched her food. THAT cleared up her face discoloration. Then she had an eye ulcer, so we just got that cleared up. Now we think she has seasonal allergies, so we are trying benadryl. I'm also using tear stain wipes twice daily (when I can catch her and when she doesn't try and eat the wipe) Once that is tried for awhile, I think we will try the concoction again. I need a rest first!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use it all the time but without MOM, just peroxide and cornstartch :up:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks Libra & Desert. I asked Wilson's vet today about his tear stains when we were there (he's eyes are always water due to teething mainly) and he said to use Desitin, so I'll go get some of that. I have the peroxide & MOM though just in case.

:)

hopus

May 14, 2011
Tassie
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
i used angels eyes for my dog and the red tear stains have never came back i used about one and half bottles.
i can send you before an after pics if ya want?

Last edited by a moderator:

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello, Instead of using corn starch, we use baking soda. Corn starch is actually a food product that yeast or bacteria can live off from. Baking soda is not food. We swtiched to a GF, no chicken or chicken meal, single carb-potato, and limited ingredients. We use Duoxo pads when any flare ups. Daily cleaning and wiping, KEEP DRY.Good Day~

MarlowesMama

Feb 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Marlowe
Thank you for putting this together. I am new to the forum, but Marlowe has had red tear stains for over a month now. I dry his eyes daily, but his eyes water so rapidly. My vet prescribed some medicated wipes to get rid of the bacteria, haven't started them yet. I am confident that it is now infected. Can I try the 1/2 Hydrogen peroxide 1/2 cornstarch mixture if his stains appear infected? He has been on Blue Buffalo since he was a puppy, no allergies until now, or it seems that way. Thanks again, really helpful!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How old is Marlowe? He may be reacting to the change of season, or the bad thing is they can develop allergies to specific foods over time. Yes you can use that on the raw irritated stain.

I myself have been trying the malecitic ultra, seems to be working really well on the couple of difficult stains I had going on here. You may want to just apply some desitin or anti fungal cream on the wrinkles to calm them down for a few days before using anything else, if they are red and enflamed it will soothe them very quickly.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Both Aldo and Katara have tear stains; I've tried the filtered water without any success. I have recently started using desitin and I have noticed a big improvement. Still stained but not irritated. This article is very helpful thank you!

brandanhuber

Apr 9, 2012
Becker, mn
Bulldog(s) Names
Goose, Gertie, Moxie and Steezy
Do you leave the cornstarch mixture on always, or do you wipe it off after so much time has passed???

C

Cooper11

Do you leave the cornstarch mixture on always, or do you wipe it off after so much time has passed???

if you put an @ sign if front of the name like this post was made by [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] so I am assuming you are asking her this question it will notify her if you have the @ in front of her name. I think she may be doing something else for tears stains now but she will chime in :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.