Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ugggh!!! How do I get rid of these tear stains on my English Bulldog?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Marlowe
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for putting this together. I am new to the forum, but Marlowe has had red tear stains for over a month now. I dry his eyes daily, but his eyes water so rapidly. My vet prescribed some medicated wipes to get rid of the bacteria, haven't started them yet. I am confident that it is now infected. Can I try the 1/2 Hydrogen peroxide 1/2 cornstarch mixture if his stains appear infected? He has been on Blue Buffalo since he was a puppy, no allergies until now, or it seems that way. Thanks again, really helpful!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ugggh!!! How do I get rid of these tear stains on my English Bulldog?

How old is Marlowe? He may be reacting to the change of season, or the bad thing is they can develop allergies to specific foods over time. Yes you can use that on the raw irritated stain.

I myself have been trying the malecitic ultra, seems to be working really well on the couple of difficult stains I had going on here. You may want to just apply some desitin or anti fungal cream on the wrinkles to calm them down for a few days before using anything else, if they are red and enflamed it will soothe them very quickly.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tom Fraley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge and LuLu
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ugggh!!! How do I get rid of these tear stains on my English Bulldog?

I heard that minerial oil works I dont know that for fact

Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)

Both Aldo and Katara have tear stains; I've tried the filtered water without any success. I have recently started using desitin and I have noticed a big improvement. Still stained but not irritated. This article is very helpful thank you!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Goose, Gertie, Moxie and Steezy
    Likes (Received)

Do you leave the cornstarch mixture on always, or do you wipe it off after so much time has passed???

Cooper11

Quote Originally Posted by brandanhuber View Post
    Do you leave the cornstarch mixture on always, or do you wipe it off after so much time has passed???
    if you put an @ sign if front of the name like this post was made by @desertskybulldogs so I am assuming you are asking her this question it will notify her if you have the @ in front of her name. I think she may be doing something else for tears stains now but she will chime in

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Don't wipe it off, it will kind of melt into the fur. This is a great "home remedy" and it really helps remove the cor of stains. I am now using Malacetic Ultra if we have any staining and you can see the stain come off on the cotton ball. I don't have too much problems with tear stains since my bullies are on a great food, but the stuff works awesome for touch ups.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Good advice @desertskybulldogs We dont have that issue thank goodness. Brutus is 10 months and no tear stains I can see. He is red so its harder to notice but I do clean his face 3x a day. He drools a lot so have to keep him dry and he never is wet from tears so I hope it continues. Thanks to the great advice on food when I joined I havent had any issues!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Cooper11

@brandanhuber lisa (desertskybulldogs) replied to you above

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brandanhuber View Post
    Put it on lightly about twice a day cleaning the fold after each application. This didn't work for me and Wilson's tear staining turned out to be food related, and teething when he was younger He's just transitioned to a grain free food these past several weeks and for once his tear staining has completely clearned up, I can see the true color of his fur in the fold and he's rarely wet now in the fold.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@desertskybulldogs the BIGGEST EASIEST WAY, is PREVENTION - let me ask all of you tear stain people -

Filtered? or Tap water? If you do not give your bully filterer water, you are more likely to get tear stains - Go out and buy a BRITA Water Filter Pitcher if need be - give it a month or so. you should be seeing a difference

Grain Free Food is another help - but Filtered Water seems to work for most

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

You know, I don't use filtered water....and that's been suggested here before many times. My water district here has AWARD WINNING quality water - but hey, why not try it? I think I'll give it a shot. What the hell, right?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads