About Bloat in dogs and what signs to look for in your English Bulldog

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I lost one of my other dogs to this a week and a half ago. She was a lab/rot mix and very healthy at 11 years old. We rushed her to Purdue and and they couldn't get her stabilized. We had to carry her because the stomach was so bloated and pushing on her insides, her back legs wouldn't cooperate and work. Emergency surgery to flip her stomach back was $4000-5000 with no complications. They didn't think she would survive the surgery, she was already too far gone. I lost her within a matter of 3 hours. It happened so quickly and has left me heartbroken.

so very sorry for your loss... sudden or not, it is a deep pain to handle (hugs)

Dukiesmom

Feb 8, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dukie (Duke)
Dukie has lost his older brother( 8 1/2 yr old Great Dane) to bloat on December 22, and just lost his 5 yr old Great Dane sister to bloat on the 20th of February. I have had Danes for 17 yrs, never a problem. Now lost 2 retired show dogs in 2 months. All of the things they say could cause bloat- they never did. And they ate a raw diet. I'm kind of wondering if getting Dukie in December brought too much stress to them and perhaps they bloated from stress? Dukie is always wanting to play and nip, driving them nuts, but then again my dogs were used to foster dogs/ pups coming here their whole life. I just don't know what happened, and am now scared to death that it could someday happen to Duke. I don't think my heart can take it again. He is going to get neutered on March 8th. I know there are risks with gastropexy, should I do it? How many of you have tacked your EBD stomachs?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Dukie has lost his older brother( 8 1/2 yr old Great Dane) to bloat on December 22, and just lost his 5 yr old Great Dane sister to bloat on the 20th of February. I have had Danes for 17 yrs, never a problem. Now lost 2 retired show dogs in 2 months. All of the things they say could cause bloat- they never did. And they ate a raw diet. I'm kind of wondering if getting Dukie in December brought too much stress to them and perhaps they bloated from stress? Dukie is always wanting to play and nip, driving them nuts, but then again my dogs were used to foster dogs/ pups coming here their whole life. I just don't know what happened, and am now scared to death that it could someday happen to Duke. I don't think my heart can take it again. He is going to get neutered on March 8th. I know there are risks with gastropexy, should I do it? How many of you have tacked your EBD stomachs?

I JUST read a story on FB regarding a bulldog that died of bloat after surgery… I honestly didn't know that this was possible.

We have friends that lost their dane to bloat while they were on vacation, it was awful. I'm SO sorry for your losses… I know that SOME vets will tac the stomach on certain breeds while they are under (for spay/neuter for example) but I'm curious if that is dependable.

Do you have any feedback on this w/members here at EBN?!! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] ?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I JUST read a story on FB regarding a bulldog that died of bloat after surgery… I honestly didn't know that this was possible.

We have friends that lost their dane to bloat while they were on vacation, it was awful. I'm SO sorry for your losses… I know that SOME vets will tac the stomach on certain breeds while they are under (for spay/neuter for example) but I'm curious if that is dependable.

Do you have any feedback on this w/members here at EBN?!! @2BullyMama @bullmama ?

The only EB loss due to bloat that I can think of (remember) was Gunny... bloat is very common in large breed dogs, it can happen at anytime with little to no warning. I am not familiar with the stomach tacking at all but it has me curious and will ask my vet about it just so I can get the info

Dukiesmom ---- so very sorry for the loss of your two danes -- incredibly heartbreaking for you in such a short window of time.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Re: Article: About Bloat in dogs and what signs to look for in your English Bulldog

Wow Im so very very sorry to hear about your Losses, and so close together. Your heart must be shattered!! Isn't it very common in Great Danes? It is not ascommon in EBD I don't think- it does happen -but not as often due to the body / stomach structure.

The most important part is to not let them exercise too much right before or after a meal, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The only EB loss due to bloat that I can think of (remember) was Gunny... bloat is very common in large breed dogs, it can happen at anytime with little to no warning. I am not familiar with the stomach tacking at all but it has me curious and will ask my vet about it just so I can get the info

Dukiesmom ---- so very sorry for the loss of your two danes -- incredibly heartbreaking for you in such a short window of time.

My groomer owns a standard poodle (the large one) and she had her stomach tacked by my vet. I honestly don't know that much about it...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My groomer owns a standard poodle (the large one) and she had her stomach tacked by my vet. I honestly don't know that much about it...

Ooooo yeah, I know two poodles and a Mastiff that past from bloat

Members online

No members online now.