About Bloat in dogs and what signs to look for in your English Bulldog

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I lost an akita to bloat. I wasn't sure what it was, but I had a bad feeling. I coundnt get her in to see her regular vet( not telling them i thought it might be bloat) the vet I did end up taking her to, waited 6 HOURS!!!! to do any kind of xray, apparentlly SHE didn't know what it was. By the time I got her into the emergancy vet (at 1am) the opened her up to do the surgery and came back to tell me to say my goodbyes, there was nothing they could do, it was too late. If you have even the SMALLEST feeling it might be bloat, dont wait and MAKE them see you!!!This was 15 tears ago and I still cry... I still blame myself.

Oh I am so sorry to hear that, so sad! Don't blame yourself, SO many people don't about bloat! But remember it is good to share your story because it will inform others and may keep other pups from losing their lives so tragically.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Bloat (twisted stomach) was the cause of death for Sherman, our first Bulldog. We got him to the vet. right away but Sherm was almost 9, taking heart meds., and our vet was sure Sherman wouldn't survive the surgery.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my that is scary and so sad for those of you who have lost dogs to this condition. i was thinking of a slow feed bowl for sarah but now im going to go get one or that ball thing that you put in the bowl. would hate to lose sarah because of something that could simply be prevented.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This was a great article, I had heard about bloat, but did not know exactly what caused it, or how serious it actually was. Thank you for the information. Good to know

BULDOZER

Sep 27, 2012
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
CH CLASSIC ZIPSER BOBBY
My Bobby just passed away of possible bloat, this was riduculous. I still can't believe that it could happen to my boy. He was just a year old. He ahad eye allergy and this might have been a stressfull situation for him, but to the point that they may die? How about a crate training it's a stress to , right? I don't know anymore. Everything can be considered a stress to them, and is this a reason of a bloat?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This is great information and good to keep as a reference. I had heard about bloat and knew that drinking a lot of water can cause it, but I didn't know a lot about the causes or all of the symptoms to look for. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

This is great information and good to keep as a reference. I had heard about bloat and knew that drinking a lot of water can cause it, but I didn't know a lot about the causes or all of the symptoms to look for. Thank you

Bulldogmd

Sep 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
Keeping yourself educated is a good thing.
Thank you for that great information.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
This is great information to have. I lost my first bully Daisy to bloat. It was horrible. We got her to the vet immediately, he decompressed her, kept her overnight, and as she was looking really good he sent her home. A week later I went to work and came home to find her in the closet, in shock. I rushed her to the vet, but she died right after I got her there. I still feel so guilty about going to work that day. One thing to remember about bloat is that when dogs get it once, they are quite likely to get it again. Daisy was 7 years old.

radiogirl107

Jun 4, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor, Matilda
I lost one of my other dogs to this a week and a half ago. She was a lab/rot mix and very healthy at 11 years old. We rushed her to Purdue and and they couldn't get her stabilized. We had to carry her because the stomach was so bloated and pushing on her insides, her back legs wouldn't cooperate and work. Emergency surgery to flip her stomach back was $4000-5000 with no complications. They didn't think she would survive the surgery, she was already too far gone. I lost her within a matter of 3 hours. It happened so quickly and has left me heartbroken.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I lost one of my other dogs to this a week and a half ago. She was a lab/rot mix and very healthy at 11 years old. We rushed her to Purdue and and they couldn't get her stabilized. We had to carry her because the stomach was so bloated and pushing on her insides, her back legs wouldn't cooperate and work. Emergency surgery to flip her stomach back was $4000-5000 with no complications. They didn't think she would survive the surgery, she was already too far gone. I lost her within a matter of 3 hours. It happened so quickly and has left me heartbroken.

I am so so sorry to hear about your baby… sending you hugs and prayers!!! :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Oh no, I'm so very sorry to hear this. :(
((hug)) :cry:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie

I'm so, so sorry, Brandi. Having gone through it with Daisy, I know how you feel. I do know that bullies can be a great help when you're grieving.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So sorry to read about your loss. I lost a Pyrenees to this several years ago. My prayers for you.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online