Article: Is an English Bulldog the Right Breed for You?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Great article Lisa, and your very first paragraph says it all, reading every thing you can, researching the breed etc.... Is NOTHING like owning one.. err....or should I say being owned by one~!!!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Great Article however I never say I own an EB I always say he owns us and I am quite all right with that LOL....Yes the English Bulldog is perfect for our family, perfect for us!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Funny Article. Made me smile.
I sometimes wonder if having children would have been easier.... lol!

We have one child-and trust me this done me in ...to the point i had hubby neutered lolol or shall i say hubby had a snip (I spend too much time with dog people lol)

Don't get me wrong i wouldn't change my girl for the world -but ONE like my lil missy was enough lol

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
This article is right on target. If someone told me they were thinking of getting a bulldog and asked my opinion I would suggest a good start before you make your decision is to join EBN forum. For articles such as this and so many others and to view the day to day experiences of bully parents. And then after a few months on this forum and careful consideration of what you have observed and you still desire a bulldog then at least you are forewarned and forearmed. The rewards are great for there is no dog like a bulldog but it is challenging and should not be entered into lightly or on a whim

Brick

Feb 8, 2014
Country
Serbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Mo (Cukibuki's Daisy)
There's always a room for improvement whichever breed is in question, especially when the Bulldog is, thus a great article, indeed :)

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Excellent article Lisa. Made me smile and my heart fill with love. There is nothing so rewarding as being owned by your Bulldog(s). You know you are truly loved when those little butt wiggles greet you each time you come home. But with all that comes responsibilities and you make them very clear. Should be mandatory reading for all prospective Bully parents.

jujuju

Jan 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
This article is so true. I didn't know what I was in for when I got Buster. It has been alot of work and worry but I do adore him. It is definitely a challenging breed but none cuter and funny. Some days I feel like crying because I worry about all of his problems.

MeShell

Jan 27, 2016
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mavis
I have a new one to add...

•Children will take every toy out of their toy chests and spread them all over the floor and won't want to put them away
Bulldogs will take every toy out of their toy box and spread them all over the floor and will never put them away

Mavis just did this last night... she spread them allllll over then sniffed them all and of course she only played with one for about 45 seconds before falling asleep. She exhausted herself just by taking them all out. :facepalm2:

Johnnash7985

Jan 20, 2020
Pittsburgh PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Thank you for the article! I really enjoyed it and you are right on target with the comparison of English bulldogs to children.

Mike72

Nov 29, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kato
Love the article.. My chunky guy for sure has a personality all his own.. he's a hand full but I am so glad he is part of my family..

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
Love the article.. My chunky guy for sure has a personality all his own.. he's a hand full but I am so glad he is part of my family..

Lets see pictures of that chunky monkey. Welcome aboard Mike72.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Really late response to this post. I am sure I read it back when it was posted. It is so true and a must read for someone who wants a bulldog. I have friends with other breeds of dogs and they are great dogs. I wouldn't chose another breed. Their personality is unlike any other. Bulldogs can be a pain in the arse but they are so worth it. Bruno, the rescue dog, is snoring in my lap at this very moment. Mila, the crazy white deaf dog, is snoring at the other end of the couch. Bruno is our 5th Bulldog since early 2002, not including a short term rescue (Tank the 75 pound coffee table) who we miss and should have tried to adopt back in 2002?. If you are looking for a backyard dog, a bulldog is not for you. If you have the time to care for them and a lap to keep warm they may be right for you.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.