Article: What is a Tail Pocket on and English Bulldog?

Wani Osman

Apr 6, 2016
London, England
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Palola
Just discovered that my Lola (age 5 months) has a tail pocket! We didnt think she has one because her tail is a combination of screw and gay, and lays flat (pictures on her instagram: Miss_Lola_Bulldog). Not sure what it meant by a "deep" pocket, i dug around :ashamed: and its about half an inch going in! It does have brown bits and some redness in the area - probably because since we got her we have not been paying attention to that area.

Thanks for the share on how to clean the pocket. I made the mistake of using water and not drying the area. Hope i didnt activate/promote bacterial growth. Im going to stock up on rubber gloves, witch hazel for now.

Mayra

Feb 13, 2021
Country
Orange CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
From what I very recently discovered, Dr.'s will refer to the wrinkle OVER the tail as a tail pocket also. My dog had a corkscrew tail and the wrinkle over his tail was so deep you can insert your finger up to your second knuckle.....very deep pocket and highly prone to infection. He had over a 2 inch corkscrew tail that you could only see the very tip of. The pocket and tail are completely gone now.

Hi sorry for the bother but i was wondering if if by any chance you knew if this could be a problem w/ a UTI in a male English Bulldog?& can males get UTI's?? cause my brothers bulldog had recently gone to see the vet cause he CANNOT PEE that much!& he gave him antibiotics to take ever 12hours because supposably he has something swollen in the back area *that i'm thinking looks like where the pocket thing is but i,m NOT SURE* won't let him pee.....So I'm not sure if you could please help me a bit out with this one but if you can please reply back ASAP thanks for your time Mayra & Diesel

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=20093]Mayra[/MENTION] Yes male and females can get UTI's (urinary tract infections) his bladder(cystitis) or urethra could be swollen, or sometimes there are stones that are blocking his ability to pee, which sometimes need to be removed surgically. I have never heard of a tail pocket affecting the ability to pee. If he has a UTI, he would definately need antibiotics.Adding two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to his water is good to help kill bacteria, but if he won't drink it, Adding some beef broth to his water will help him drink more. Drinking more will help flush. He needs to go our more frequently. as he needs to pee more. Make sure he drinks, as this will help!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=20093]Mayra[/MENTION] it’s exactly like [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] said... tail pocket has nothing to do with UTI. Two different areas. Antibiotics doesn’t always cure crystals in a UTI. It is the first thing a vet will give is antibiotics n you need to go back with another urine sample. They will try to convince you to buy their Urine balanced Kibbles but it will make it worse down the road. To eliminate crystals or UTI’s is either a good balanced raw diet or home cook meals.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hi sorry for the bother but i was wondering if if by any chance you knew if this could be a problem w/ a UTI in a male English Bulldog?& can males get UTI's?? cause my brothers bulldog had recently gone to see the vet cause he CANNOT PEE that much!& he gave him antibiotics to take ever 12hours because supposably he has something swollen in the back area *that i'm thinking looks like where the pocket thing is but i,m NOT SURE* won't let him pee.....So I'm not sure if you could please help me a bit out with this one but if you can please reply back ASAP thanks for your time Mayra & Diesel

I would definitely have checked by a vet. If he has stones, they could be life threatening if not treated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
We found out the hard way with Boris when he got an infection. We had been cleaning under the tail and around the anus daily but didn't know there was a pocket and his is deep. Since his infection in November, we've been using medicated wipes. He's such a good boy and lays down to let me clean him. No issues since then but I feel horrible that he got an infection.

This was me as well! Back in December Gilbert was at the vet on a Saturday for routine and by Monday he had a full blown infection (vet even checked when there). I felt horrible for Gilbert. I have to clean daily (sometimes twice a day to be sure). Gilbert has a very tight corkscrew and is hard to get up in there. He is such a trooper! Gilbert enjous the tail cleanings :yes:

Most Reactions