Article: English Bulldog Allergies- Information, Treatment and Prevention

Mom to Brutus

Nov 5, 2012
Burke, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Thank you Lisa for this thread! So, so helpful. Brutus rubs his face in the carpets, rubs his back under the furniture, licks his feet until the carpets are soaked. Scratches all the time. We've had him on prednizone and antibiotics for over a year. The vet seems to think that the allergy shots would only help about 50%. We have him on Fromm Surf and Turf but am going to add some krill oil and get the shampoo you recommended. It's definitely yeast as well as allergies. You can tell by the smell. Do you think we should still add the yogurt? And we'll do the pet tabs too. I feel so bad for our little buddy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you Lisa for this thread! So, so helpful. Brutus rubs his face in the carpets, rubs his back under the furniture, licks his feet until the carpets are soaked. Scratches all the time. We've had him on prednizone and antibiotics for over a year. The vet seems to think that the allergy shots would only help about 50%. We have him on Fromm Surf and Turf but am going to add some krill oil and get the shampoo you recommended. It's definitely yeast as well as allergies. You can tell by the smell. Do you think we should still add the yogurt? And we'll do the pet tabs too. I feel so bad for our little buddy.

Maybe, try a different Fromm flavor. My girl can't do the surf n turf because of a sensitivity to Salmon and white potato being so high in the ingredient list. Maybe Beef Fritatta or Pork and Peas, or Game Bird

krystal

Mar 17, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Riley bear
My bully baby is itching his hind quarters and legs like a mad man. Also his whole belly, private areas and inside legs are a darker color than they once were. I did a little research online and it mentioned it could be a skin yeast infection. He also has little red dots on his belly. and the bottom of his paws look like the yeast picture in this article. Also he had been flea treated and never before had a problem with the frontline before. His food has been the same and again I thought he was doing fine on it with leads me to believe it's seasonal allergies or a skin issue. I would love someone else's advice.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My bully baby is itching his hind quarters and legs like a mad man. Also his whole belly, private areas and inside legs are a darker color than they once were. I did a little research online and it mentioned it could be a skin yeast infection. He also has little red dots on his belly. and the bottom of his paws look like the yeast picture in this article. Also he had been flea treated and never before had a problem with the frontline before. His food has been the same and again I thought he was doing fine on it with leads me to believe it's seasonal allergies or a skin issue. I would love someone else's advice.

Hi Krystal - are you feeding him a grain free food?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

An you post pictures, please

krystal

Mar 17, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Riley bear
I am feeding him whole earth farms it's made in the USA and had no corn, wheat, soy, byproducts, or artificial colors or preservatives

James51

Jul 7, 2015
Tennessee
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie lou
So helpfull. My Sadie has some kind of skin allergy sounds like all of them. I had it pretty much undercontroll till she got spay.the last 4hours she's cried from her skin hurting Iv just Ben waiting for time the vet opens. My son and I are store up since she's all we have.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi [MENTION=14473]James51[/MENTION] sorry to hear Sadie lou has skin allergies:( Hope your vet can help her so she'll feel better, keep us posted about her please and welcome to EBN to the both of you. Many of us here has bulldogs dealing with allergies so you are not alone:assurred:

James51

Jul 7, 2015
Tennessee
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie lou
Awesome Iv never joined a web site before but this one called to me. Thanks for your concern. I will keep posted.

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
We have experienced this recently with our two bulldogs. They developed a skin disorder/allergy in June/July of this year, and were scratching terribly, almost to the point of bleeding.

After numerous vet visits, injections, medication etc, the vet recommended Hills Derm Defense.

Our dogs have fully recovered from their skin problems. They scratch on the odd occasion, but i think it's just something that irritates them. No more pink spots, and they are both extremely happy.

They still have patches of hair loss though. So, we are trying to sort that out.

yankydoodle

Nov 28, 2016
Country
South Africa
Bulldog(s) Names
princess, kleintjie
A few years later, and i just want to come back and say Hills Derm Defense sorted out our two bulldogs skin issues. So grateful.

BULLDOGMOMMA925

Jul 22, 2019
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Luke
My baby Luke is 1years old now and developing allergies. Hives and reverse sneezing and even vomiting I cannot get to the bottom of it as nothing has changed in our house hold from soaps to cleaners even his dog food. We have gone to the vet several times he’s received allergy shots and taken Benadryl as well still no relief I feel so terrible for my baby I know he has to be uncomfortable I just wish there was some relief I could provide for him. I’m going to try all treatments mentioned in this wonderful article so helpful !

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online