Article: English Bulldog Allergies- Information, Treatment and Prevention

BULDOZER

Sep 27, 2012
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
CH CLASSIC ZIPSER BOBBY
My Bobby was one year old when in June he started having terrible eye allergy, scratching his eyes on the grass, with his paws etc. It looked like it was environmental. It looked like this: We took our baby to the vet, and he gave him a shot of PREDNISONE, and recommended we give him 25mg of Benadryl 9 times a day, so I did. After a week I found him STIFF and COLD.
Rushed to the vet with a cold boy, and she said it was a STOMACH BLOAT, by the look of the stomach she said he had a STOMACH TWIST?. And this happens, unless it was a steroid. HMM??? Now, she got me thinking, was this that steroid shot a week before? I have no clue. I am devastated , so is my husband. From an eye allergy to this???? Please as a precaution make sure you guys you make a right choice with the medication because you never know, maybe he was too sensitive and his liver , stomach kidneys failed? We won't know.

b3.jpgb1.jpgb2.jpg

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@Bulldozer

I'm so very sorry about the loss of your baby... I'm really confused as to why you were told to give Benadryl 9 times a day! That seems really excessive to me. Winston has had allergy issues & along w/a prednisone shot I was giving him 2 Benadryl every 8 hours. He weighs about 42 pounds...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Can yeast and bacteria from my bully spread to humans? And what about his toys and food /water bowl? I wash his toys and bowls at least 2 times a week.

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post this wonderful article Lisa. I forgot about the benefits of benadryl for allergies, and I have decided to add 75 mg of Benadryl to Hooch's daily maintenance routine. I tell him everyday that he needs his own nurse (good thing I'm now retired) and I also make it a point to tell him he is the most handsome bulldog I have ever seen to maintain his self esteem ;). He had his first epsom salt foot soaks today to help with his inter digital cyst which popped today when he jumped up on my bed. He remained in bed until 3pm this afternoon (He really has a tough life) but was able to jump off of the bed and put weight on his front paw without any sign of pain. Thanks again for all of your wonderful advice and support. I'm so glad I found this site. Shamrock13 and Hooch

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
I'm new to the Forum and wanted to thank you so much Lisa for taking the time to write this incredibly informative article. I will be sure to recommend this Forum to every bulldog owner I know!!!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Can yeast and bacteria from my bully spread to humans? And what about his toys and food /water bowl? I wash his toys and bowls at least 2 times a week.

Sorry [MENTION=9481]Dana F[/MENTION] I just saw this question.

As with any bacteria, it can spread, cleaning bowls as often as possible will help, especially with chin acne and wet drinkers, as well as patting dry with a towel. Once the immune system builds it should act like a 'shield' against bacteria, germs and virus, just as with humans.

That is why, even with bad allergy sufferers, a good dog food helps them so much, it may no alleviate all allergy problems, but it does help them create some of that 'shield' and makes the allergy problems more manageable.

BossysMomma

Jul 7, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Hello everyone - I'm a new bully momma and have just recently found a Hot Spot on Boss. :ohmy: I immediately followed the directions to treat it as listed above and am thankful that I had read up on it otherwise I would have totally been freaking out. :w00t: It looks as though Boss is going to recover well :whew::whew: but, I'm still wanting more information on these "Hot Spots." I'm hoping all you bully experts out there can help . . . . .What causes these Hot spots? Do they happen often? How long do they last? What can I do to avoid Boss getting them altogether? Being such a new parent any info or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello everyone - I'm a new bully momma and have just recently found a Hot Spot on Boss. :ohmy: I immediately followed the directions to treat it as listed above and am thankful that I had read up on it otherwise I would have totally been freaking out. :w00t: It looks as though Boss is going to recover well :whew::whew: but, I'm still wanting more information on these "Hot Spots." I'm hoping all you bully experts out there can help . . . . .What causes these Hot spots? Do they happen often? How long do they last? What can I do to avoid Boss getting them altogether? Being such a new parent any info or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

I'll create a new thread from your question so it doesn't get missed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.