Article: Head Tremors in English Bulldogs

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
This is great information. Chumley has head tremors..he would get them at random..sometimes once a week sometimes once a month..since he had his rabies shot (unnecessarily) he has about 5 a day..i wasn't worried before but I have to admit now I am getting concerned.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Snuggles just had her first one yesterday (as far as we know anyway) and then I walked in today and she was laying in her bed awake and looking at me but her head just nodding yes. I went to her loved on her, and she stopped but the minute I stopped it continued. She is almost two, and strange her second heat is quite late. Snuggles is our love, (don't tell our other four dogs) and she loves her Dad, and I am worried a lot. Any thoughts? This is a awesome site.
I have found that giving Ruthie something hard to chew on when she gets the tremors, like carrots help them stop quicker and gets them to stop completely. She won't have them for a while. I also keep carrots on hand just in case.

Ivettecumba

Nov 10, 2012
Country
Elwood Park, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Milo
Hello Eveyone im so happy to have find this site. I just experience the head tremors last week when my one yearold bull dog got them for the first time. I was so so worry for him i've been a member from this site for about 6 months but i find my self using it more for up dates on health. I want to Thank everyone for the information that I have gotten. Love all the pictures :thanks:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello Eveyone im so happy to have find this site. I just experience the head tremors last week when my one yearold bull dog got them for the first time. I was so so worry for him i've been a member from this site for about 6 months but i find my self using it more for up dates on health. I want to Thank everyone for the information that I have gotten. Love all the pictures :thanks:

So thankful the posts here have helped you!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

awesome so glad it helped you and you are enjoying the site!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
So Franklin had his first head tremor yesterday morning and again a little bit ago he was sleeping both times and woke up from it it scared the living day lights out of me but I'm so glad I knew what it was the first time my husband clapped his hands and took him out the second time I gave him cheese and it stopped both times I just wish I knew why all of the sudden it started happening I did cry the first time it's so scary to see first hand I just hope he doesn't get them every day

thafonz

Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluto
great and helpful info thanks so much

- - - Updated - - -

Greetings everyone, I am new here. My year old Bully had this happen this afternoon http://youtu.be/biPs2jB-_IQ It first occurred 6 days ago and we went to the vet the day after. It occurred twice today. We are going to the vet tomorrow. Based on what I am reading its a tremor as opposed to a seizure. Does that appear to be the case. he is almost 5. Its deeply concerning. thanks so much

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
great and helpful info thanks so much

- - - Updated - - -

Greetings everyone, I am new here. My year old Bully had this happen this afternoon http://youtu.be/biPs2jB-_IQ It first occurred 6 days ago and we went to the vet the day after. It occurred twice today. We are going to the vet tomorrow. Based on what I am reading its a tremor as opposed to a seizure. Does that appear to be the case. he is almost 5. Its deeply concerning. thanks so much

Yes, they are tremor... he is very responsive to you. May take a few treats to get them to stop, just keep talking and distracting him. The are very scary to us, but totally harmless to them. My girl has them when she is stressed about something and tired... think of what may have changed for him in the last two weeks (since you said they started two days ago).... food, move, rearrange furniture.. seasons,

thafonz

Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluto
thanks so much. We've seen two vets and a neurologist. the neurologist confirmed that its "nothing to worry about at all" - simple tremors or "head bobbing". she says that he'll likely out grow it and its pretty common amongst bulldogs, boxers, labs and dobermans. She said to give him peanut butter and that will help minimize, reduce and end the tremor. big relief.

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Today Agnes's head started shaking in her sleep. It happened twice within an hour, each time for less than two minutes. She was responsive when I called her name and snapped my fingers. I was terrified she was having a seizure and my first search on ebn for "head shaking" Led me straight here. I feel a lot more at ease now. That was truly scary. Aggie is just 10 months old. If I see it happen again, I'll probably make her a very appointment just to be sure it's not something more serious.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Today Agnes's head started shaking in her sleep. It happened twice within an hour, each time for less than two minutes. She was responsive when I called her name and snapped my fingers. I was terrified she was having a seizure and my first search on ebn for "head shaking" Led me straight here. I feel a lot more at ease now. That was truly scary. Aggie is just 10 months old. If I see it happen again, I'll probably make her a very appointment just to be sure it's not something more serious.

Be sure to give some type of treat... Green bean, kibble, training treat... Something to distract the muscles.

BullyLove143

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Douglas
My bully gets them too. He also fly snaps. Our neurologist has him on Prozac for the fly snapping. I hear head tremors are linked with epilepsy though. Our doc actually took him off the anti convulsion meds because she swore he just has anxiety. Hmm.

Sent from Stephanie and Dougie

graybullies

Dec 3, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie and Miles
Our English Bulldog started having head tremors hours after we applied Frontline flea and tick medication. The first time we noticed it, the tremors came several hours after the application so we didn't make a connection. The second and third time it came shortly after the application so we were able to figure out the problem. We stopped using flea and tick medication on both of our dogs. Maggie never had tremors again. Neither have ever had fleas or ticks either. I contacted Frontline to report the reaction and they said they've never heard of the problem before. This was probably in 2003. I haven't read everyone's comments - so I don't know if others had anything similar, but I thought I would share this with the group. Our Maggie is 11.5 years old now. The tremors happened when she was a puppy. At the time it was very scary to see the tremors - but luckily they never came back once we stopped using that chemical.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Our English Bulldog started having head tremors hours after we applied Frontline flea and tick medication. The first time we noticed it, the tremors came several hours after the application so we didn't make a connection. The second and third time it came shortly after the application so we were able to figure out the problem. We stopped using flea and tick medication on both of our dogs. Maggie never had tremors again. Neither have ever had fleas or ticks either. I contacted Frontline to report the reaction and they said they've never heard of the problem before. This was probably in 2003. I haven't read everyone's comments - so I don't know if others had anything similar, but I thought I would share this with the group. Our Maggie is 11.5 years old now. The tremors happened when she was a puppy. At the time it was very scary to see the tremors - but luckily they never came back once we stopped using that chemical.

WOW 11.5 yrs old, that is great... interesting on the frontline info. That is the thing with the head tremors, there is no solid reason for them and the trigger is diferent for every Bully.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.