Article: Head Tremors in English Bulldogs

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Poor boy. Thanks for updating with specific information on his behavior. It is very helpful to know some specific behaviors associated with the more severe condition.

I hope that he is doing better.

jennifer1

Jun 24, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
happy and meatball
My 2 year old female named Happy just had her first head shaking episode and it was more like a shivering not anything close to the seizures we experienced with our other Bulldog Chopper - who passed 2 years ago. He had Gram Mal siezures and it was tough to go through for Chopper and us!! The video was really helpful since I was not sure what was going because - she was alert and responsive but her head was vibrating, Thank you for posting the video's its really helped me identify the issue mainly because the "vibrating came out of nowhere and it was the first time and I was very scared.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
My 2 year old female named Happy just had her first head shaking episode and it was more like a shivering not anything close to the seizures we experienced with our other Bulldog Chopper - who passed 2 years ago. He had Gram Mal siezures and it was tough to go through for Chopper and us!! The video was really helpful since I was not sure what was going because - she was alert and responsive but her head was vibrating, Thank you for posting the video's its really helped me identify the issue mainly because the "vibrating came out of nowhere and it was the first time and I was very scared.
Hey Jennifer and Welcome to EBN, The information here is just awesome.... Happy will surely reap the benefits of all the great articles and information here.... Hope to see you around in other threads... Please make yourself at home..... This place is like Bully Heaven.....

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I was doing a search on head tremors and found this thread. Ruthie gets head tremors but she is also epileptic and on phenobarbital. For the past few nights she has had them, I try everything to get rid of them but once I get them stopped, we got back to bed and they start back up. Usually it takes about 3-4 times of giving her something hard to chew on for her to actually stop. Hers only come on at nighttime and I'm having such a hard time finding what the triggers are that starts them. We've been dealing with them since we got her about 3 years ago and the epilepsy is new. She will have the tremors for about a week then they go away for a few months and then come back, it's a cycle. I'm very stumped on them :(

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was doing a search on head tremors and found this thread. Ruthie gets head tremors but she is also epileptic and on phenobarbital. For the past few nights she has had them, I try everything to get rid of them but once I get them stopped, we got back to bed and they start back up. Usually it takes about 3-4 times of giving her something hard to chew on for her to actually stop. Hers only come on at nighttime and I'm having such a hard time finding what the triggers are that starts them. We've been dealing with them since we got her about 3 years ago and the epilepsy is new. She will have the tremors for about a week then they go away for a few months and then come back, it's a cycle. I'm very stumped on them :(
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] can be of more assistance.... their babies have epilepsy.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)

Hi there! Sorry you and Ruthie are going through this. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] has a ton of advice as her Vegas was diagnosed with epilepsy! Brutus had a couple
Seizures after he had an invasive surgery! He does get tremors and fly biting at times! We don't know the triggers but we distract him any way we
Can! We had him on meds but I didn't like the side effects and the neurologist said she didn't want to continue with such strong drugs bc he wasn't having seZuires anymore! Cheryl will be by soon and she can help you! Hope it all works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miss Snuffles Mom

Jun 24, 2013
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Snuffles
OMG!!! Thank you so much for sharing this. We have had our bully for 2 months now. She is a rescue bully who is approx 2 years old. The second day we had her her head started shaking like she was having a seizure. I too almost started crying. I immediately notified the lady who had rescued her, as well as the foster home where she lived for the previous 15 weeks but none of them were aware of this. She has had a few since but her symptoms are the same as the ones posted here. She will also respond to a treat, she can walk as well and is alert. Thank you for sharing this information:)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It's actually fairly common for this breed to experience head tremors. Vegas has epilepsy...grand mal seizures. He basically falls to the ground and foams at the mouth. Whole body shakes and sometimes he loses bowel control. Since the beginning of the year...he's started the licking. Basically it's as if he can't stop. What we do is we give him the everlasting fun ball filled with green beans or another treat. This ball is the ONLY thing that helps him with the licking fits. I highly recommend this ball and I've even sent it to a few members who have bulldogs suffering from seizures. I don't know if it works as well for them as it does for us...but it's a must in my home. We actually now own 3.

If either of you have any questions for me...please don't hesitate to ask. Vegas is on pheno, zonisamide and potassium bromide. Please add [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] so I can be alerted of a question as soon as I sign on.

Last edited:

Miss Snuffles Mom

Jun 24, 2013
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Snuffles
OMG!!! Thank u for posting this info. We have had our Bully for 2 months now. The second day we had her her heat started shaking. I too almost started crying. She was a rescue so I immediately thought she may have been abused an was now epileptic. I called the lady who rescued her as well as the lady who fostered her. They had not noticed this with her and thought she may have been too cold since we were outside and the temps were in the mid 50's. her symptoms are the same as what you have mentioned, she is alert, she can walk, will respond when asked if she wants a treat. Glad that it is nothing serious!!!
Thanks again for posting:)

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Thank you everyone. I assume the tremors are not related to her seizures cause they are so different. She gets grand-mal seizures too, looses consciousness and control of her bowels sometimes. The head tremors are just an annoyance. Does anyone know what contributes to them? I have heard of weak neck muscles, low blood sugar, and other issues.

GarySheriHansen

Jul 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
snuggles
Hey Jennifer and Welcome to EBN, The information here is just awesome.... Happy will surely reap the benefits of all the great articles and information here.... Hope to see you around in other threads... Please make yourself at home..... This place is like Bully Heaven.....

Snuggles just had her first one yesterday (as far as we know anyway) and then I walked in today and she was laying in her bed awake and looking at me but her head just nodding yes. I went to her loved on her, and she stopped but the minute I stopped it continued. She is almost two, and strange her second heat is quite late. Snuggles is our love, (don't tell our other four dogs) and she loves her Dad, and I am worried a lot. Any thoughts? This is a awesome site.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Snuggles just had her first one yesterday (as far as we know anyway) and then I walked in today and she was laying in her bed awake and looking at me but her head just nodding yes. I went to her loved on her, and she stopped but the minute I stopped it continued. She is almost two, and strange her second heat is quite late. Snuggles is our love, (don't tell our other four dogs) and she loves her Dad, and I am worried a lot. Any thoughts? This is a awesome site.

next time it happens... try the treat distraction. as long as they respond and have awareness, ie come when you call them... take the treat. It is only the head tremor and a treat should stop it. If not, there is more to it and a vet visit is in order.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
And....get it on video to show your vet the next time you are in.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

This sounds like typical head tremors....so nothing to really be concerned about in my opinion. It wouldn't hurt to get it on video and take it into the vet for his opinion.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.