JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks Christine for a much needed informative article about head tremors. While I hope that my guys never experience this, I now know from reading yours and others experience what head tremors are should mine ever have one.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Christine, this was a wonderful article. Very informative. Seeing that I just went through the head tremors with Vegas last week and knowing what it was, it still is a very scary ordeal for me or any parent!! The first time it happened Vegas was around 2 and I totally flipped out and it was over a favorite toy that my husband was playing keep-a-way with him. Last week we were at the vet, so he was already a little nervous, a dog kept barking at him and it set him off again. The vet was able to watch him and knew it was just over-stimulation. Trust me, it scares the crap out of us way more than it effects our babies. Thank You for the article.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Thank you so much for all your hard work putting this article together and for all of the images and research. I learned a lot and I know this will be a valuable addition to EBN. I have read about head tremors but seeing the videos and reading the reports I feel I am better prepared to understand the discussions.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When Mandy woke up from anesthisia and had hers I knew exactly what it was, thank you EBN. I had no treats but luckily an ice cube and that was the only time I saw one in person. Needless to say, even if you know what it is, it is still shocking to see your bulldog have one. It makes your heart bounce right out of your chest, even if you know it is harmless and does not hurt them. No matter what, the lingering question will still remain, "Why?"

Like Mandy and many others it is due to stress. I have heard many theories, but for those who only experience it rarely I think stress is a key factor. So many have them during sleep though, so that is a different cause and effect.

Thank you Christine for writing this wonderful and informative article. Thank you Christine, Karen and Cheryl for sharing Vegas, Maggie and Nitschke with us, we miss Maggie and Nitschke very much. xx

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

There are two types of head shakes.

I have a male that has the mild one. Not sure of the exact name, but this is the one that he will still be alert, will respond to his name or the door opening or the sound of the ice cube tray?

Over the years what we have noticed is that if he does NOT drink enough water, he will get this shake. During the warmer (Az - HOT!) months, I make sure that he also has a water bowl in the house and I watch to make sure he drinks. All of the other dogs drink enough but he is such a potato that he wont even hardly go outside to go to the bathroom or drink.

What we have found is that when he gets these shakes, if we give him 2 frozen otter pops, he snaps out of it quickly. He likes the grape flavored the best.
It is like low blood sugar and the cold and sweet calms him down. I cut the top off and break off a small piece at a time. He crunches and eats it. By the middle of the second otter pop he has calmed down and the shake has ended.

It is amazing how fast this works. When we first noticed this problem when he was younger, we would just wait to see. We would hold his head to try to control and calm him down. It would last for 7-10 minutes. Once we found out about using the otter pops, we keep a bag frozen at all times. Making sure he drinks enough water he will go for 6-8 months without getting one.

Just an opinion.
Like others, everyone has one.

Good Day~

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
This was very helpful. Thank you for posting. Miss Muffin was just diagnosed with this yesterday. I'm so incredibly relieved...it was such a scary experience and I was so very worried!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Very good info - thanks. Do you know if there is foaming, does that make a difference?

Never noticed any foaming nor did I see it in any of the articles I read during research.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION]

If there is foaming....it probably is more severe than a head tremor. As you know, Vegas has idiopathic epilepsy. When he has petit mal seizures, there is no foaming. When he has a grand mal seizure....there is foaming.

How do you tell the difference between a grand mal and petit mal seizure? I raised that same question to the dr and she said...."You know him best. No matter how much research you do, people will tell you different things." So we base the seizures on foam. If it's there or not will classify it for us. Also, during a grand mal, Vegas falls over onto his side and during a petit mal, he remains conscious.

I know I kinda wandered from your original question on head tremors. Hope this helps with your question.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Yhank yo to seu fr sharing this, it does seem very scary to see them have these tremors and it is nice to know if it happens what to do.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] - thank you, that was very helpful. Frank has had periodic episodes of small head tremors but he will always respond instantly to a treat like yogurt, frozen pop, or peanut butter. I know this is very common and has never worried me. However, yesterday he had a short episode where he was shaking his head, foaming, and wasn't very responsive to getting a treat. It only lasted about two minutes, then he was responding to us and was able to lick a frozen pop. He never fell down or anything but seemed a little disoriented very briefly after but nothing like walking into walls. We just watched him very carefully the rest of the day and he has been completely normal since. I don't know what else to do other than just be hypervigilant for any more episodes like that. It really scared me but I wasn't sure if I should be extremely worried about it or if it was just a longer episode of head shaking.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas just had a big one this morning at 1am. He had already been in bed and asleep for several hours, yet all of a sudden he was up and had this "urgency" about his movements. He wouldn't sit still..he was moving all around the bed in an almost "frantic" fashion. I put him on the floor for more wandering room and he fell over in the bathroom and started seizing.

It lasted about a minute and 1/2. Once done, he was back up. I took him downstairs and filled a treat ball with green beans and he followed/chased that for awhile. My husband came downstairs and relieved me....not sure what time they came back to bed.

Again....the manner in which he chased the ball was almost "frantic".

Right now he is sleeping soundly.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online