Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Article: Head Tremors in English Bulldogs

Yhank yo to seu fr sharing this, it does seem very scary to see them have these tremors and it is nice to know if it happens what to do.

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

@Libra926 - thank you, that was very helpful. Frank has had periodic episodes of small head tremors but he will always respond instantly to a treat like yogurt, frozen pop, or peanut butter. I know this is very common and has never worried me. However, yesterday he had a short episode where he was shaking his head, foaming, and wasn't very responsive to getting a treat. It only lasted about two minutes, then he was responding to us and was able to lick a frozen pop. He never fell down or anything but seemed a little disoriented very briefly after but nothing like walking into walls. We just watched him very carefully the rest of the day and he has been completely normal since. I don't know what else to do other than just be hypervigilant for any more episodes like that. It really scared me but I wasn't sure if I should be extremely worried about it or if it was just a longer episode of head shaking.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Vegas just had a big one this morning at 1am. He had already been in bed and asleep for several hours, yet all of a sudden he was up and had this "urgency" about his movements. He wouldn't sit still..he was moving all around the bed in an almost "frantic" fashion. I put him on the floor for more wandering room and he fell over in the bathroom and started seizing.

It lasted about a minute and 1/2. Once done, he was back up. I took him downstairs and filled a treat ball with green beans and he followed/chased that for awhile. My husband came downstairs and relieved me....not sure what time they came back to bed.

Again....the manner in which he chased the ball was almost "frantic".

Right now he is sleeping soundly.

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Poor boy. Thanks for updating with specific information on his behavior. It is very helpful to know some specific behaviors associated with the more severe condition.

I hope that he is doing better.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    happy and meatball
    Likes (Received)

My 2 year old female named Happy just had her first head shaking episode and it was more like a shivering not anything close to the seizures we experienced with our other Bulldog Chopper - who passed 2 years ago. He had Gram Mal siezures and it was tough to go through for Chopper and us!! The video was really helpful since I was not sure what was going because - she was alert and responsive but her head was vibrating, Thank you for posting the video's its really helped me identify the issue mainly because the "vibrating came out of nowhere and it was the first time and I was very scared.

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer1 View Post
    My 2 year old female named Happy just had her first head shaking episode and it was more like a shivering not anything close to the seizures we experienced with our other Bulldog Chopper - who passed 2 years ago. He had Gram Mal siezures and it was tough to go through for Chopper and us!! The video was really helpful since I was not sure what was going because - she was alert and responsive but her head was vibrating, Thank you for posting the video's its really helped me identify the issue mainly because the "vibrating came out of nowhere and it was the first time and I was very scared.
    Hey Jennifer and Welcome to EBN, The information here is just awesome.... Happy will surely reap the benefits of all the great articles and information here.... Hope to see you around in other threads... Please make yourself at home..... This place is like Bully Heaven.....

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

I was doing a search on head tremors and found this thread. Ruthie gets head tremors but she is also epileptic and on phenobarbital. For the past few nights she has had them, I try everything to get rid of them but once I get them stopped, we got back to bed and they start back up. Usually it takes about 3-4 times of giving her something hard to chew on for her to actually stop. Hers only come on at nighttime and I'm having such a hard time finding what the triggers are that starts them. We've been dealing with them since we got her about 3 years ago and the epilepsy is new. She will have the tremors for about a week then they go away for a few months and then come back, it's a cycle. I'm very stumped on them

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JennieS View Post
    I was doing a search on head tremors and found this thread. Ruthie gets head tremors but she is also epileptic and on phenobarbital. For the past few nights she has had them, I try everything to get rid of them but once I get them stopped, we got back to bed and they start back up. Usually it takes about 3-4 times of giving her something hard to chew on for her to actually stop. Hers only come on at nighttime and I'm having such a hard time finding what the triggers are that starts them. We've been dealing with them since we got her about 3 years ago and the epilepsy is new. She will have the tremors for about a week then they go away for a few months and then come back, it's a cycle. I'm very stumped on them
    @Libra926 and @ChanelnBrutus can be of more assistance.... their babies have epilepsy.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JennieS View Post
    Hi there! Sorry you and Ruthie are going through this. @Libra926 has a ton of advice as her Vegas was diagnosed with epilepsy! Brutus had a couple
    Seizures after he had an invasive surgery! He does get tremors and fly biting at times! We don't know the triggers but we distract him any way we
    Can! We had him on meds but I didn't like the side effects and the neurologist said she didn't want to continue with such strong drugs bc he wasn't having seZuires anymore! Cheryl will be by soon and she can help you! Hope it all works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Pooper scooper Miss Snuffles Mom's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Snuffles
    Likes (Received)

OMG!!! Thank you so much for sharing this. We have had our bully for 2 months now. She is a rescue bully who is approx 2 years old. The second day we had her her head started shaking like she was having a seizure. I too almost started crying. I immediately notified the lady who had rescued her, as well as the foster home where she lived for the previous 15 weeks but none of them were aware of this. She has had a few since but her symptoms are the same as the ones posted here. She will also respond to a treat, she can walk as well and is alert. Thank you for sharing this information

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It's actually fairly common for this breed to experience head tremors. Vegas has epilepsy...grand mal seizures. He basically falls to the ground and foams at the mouth. Whole body shakes and sometimes he loses bowel control. Since the beginning of the year...he's started the licking. Basically it's as if he can't stop. What we do is we give him the everlasting fun ball filled with green beans or another treat. This ball is the ONLY thing that helps him with the licking fits. I highly recommend this ball and I've even sent it to a few members who have bulldogs suffering from seizures. I don't know if it works as well for them as it does for us...but it's a must in my home. We actually now own 3.

If either of you have any questions for me...please don't hesitate to ask. Vegas is on pheno, zonisamide and potassium bromide. Please add @Libra926 so I can be alerted of a question as soon as I sign on.
    Last edited by Libra926; 07-16-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Pooper scooper Miss Snuffles Mom's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Snuffles
    Likes (Received)

OMG!!! Thank u for posting this info. We have had our Bully for 2 months now. The second day we had her her heat started shaking. I too almost started crying. She was a rescue so I immediately thought she may have been abused an was now epileptic. I called the lady who rescued her as well as the lady who fostered her. They had not noticed this with her and thought she may have been too cold since we were outside and the temps were in the mid 50's. her symptoms are the same as what you have mentioned, she is alert, she can walk, will respond when asked if she wants a treat. Glad that it is nothing serious!!!
    Thanks again for posting

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads