Article: Anal Gland Care - Everything you need to know!

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Walley-Bubba went to the groomer today to get a bath and to get his velociraptor nails done.
Jeff. the groomer, said his anal glads were totally full.
Jeff had to use a warm cloth to release them.
I guess I gotta take him in more than once every two months...maybe once a month!
Sure looked good when I picked him up and Jeff sprayed him with Pumpkin-Anise scent.

But danged if he didn't have a thumb tack in hos mouth later this evening!
Thank God I got it out of his mouth.
Like Ali said "he must be crazy"...

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi! Is it possible for the anal glands to "express" on their own? Two days ago, Layla was sitting on the couch. When she jumped down, the couch seemed wet. Upon closer inspection, it reeked like fish!!!! Then today, I came home to a wet spot on another chair and again, fishy smell!!!
She is acting normal, pooping normal, no scooting, no sore or red-looking bum bum, and Wilbur isn't smelling her bizness any more or less than usual.... ???? Did her anal sacs release on their own? (I have never thought about their anal sacs...!)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi! Is it possible for the anal glands to "express" on their own? Two days ago, Layla was sitting on the couch. When she jumped down, the couch seemed wet. Upon closer inspection, it reeked like fish!!!! Then today, I came home to a wet spot on another chair and again, fishy smell!!!
She is acting normal, pooping normal, no scooting, no sore or red-looking bum bum, and Wilbur isn't smelling her bizness any more or less than usual.... ???? Did her anal sacs release on their own? (I have never thought about their anal sacs...!)

sure can.... lovely surprise

Lady Bulldog

Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
My baby boy, Chunk (he will be 2 in May) has been having issues the last day or so. He's been like this before, but he would just stop after only a little bit. He would try and lick or scratch himself---but obviously cant because of his structure--so he would just sit there. He's acting like he's got an itch he cant scratch. The first this happened, he had a tail pocket infection. But I am not seeing anything wrong with that or any skin issues (which he tends to have a lot). So I called my vet this afternoon....just because he is still behaving this way. They said it could be his anal glands. I completely forgot about them! I had a Boston Terrier and he ended up having an infected anal gland where it ruptured through his skin. I dont see any swelling around his rectum or nothing is really visible, but by his behavior there is definately something wrong. We'll go outside and all he does is walks in front of me, stops and then sits. He'll try to itch but cant reach and then he'll abruptly sit down again. I am almost positive that its his anal glands now that I have read this article. Very good information!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
That was very informative, Ftse does his himself thankfully but I never even knew about this until I joined EBN

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i had my dog to the vet today.they charged me 200.00 to express anal glands.they said the tail bone was in the way of anal glands and he needed to be sedated.is this normal?

Never heard that before. Isnt 200 pounds like 350 American $?

Members online

No members online now.