Article: Anal Gland Care - Everything you need to know!

ktcmojo

Feb 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaiser
Thanks for the answer! My vet wouldnt even consider it-which is why Im getting a new vet-the lady I board him with also runs a "salon" and will express him for $5!!! And she has done it a LOT so Im taking him tomorrow-Bath and express for $25!! I was thinking about getting her to show me how but for 5 bucks.........i might wanna stay away from that smell........

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I had hard time at first with Wilson when expressing his from the outside. He's only had to have them done once. Jack's easy to do now on the outside method now that I know exactly where his glands are. His are a bit further set back and I have to apply a good pinch squeeze to reach them that way.

Glad you're changing vets too. Did he give a reason for not doing it?
[MENTION=8195]ktcmojo[/MENTION]

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=8195]ktcmojo[/MENTION], I have to take Vegas every 5 weeks or so, lately more often than that, Our vet charges $43 to walk in the door as well, BUT only charges $17 to do glands, you might want to call your vet and ask about this. And trust me, there is no chit chat or questions when the vet does them, it is strictly anal glands and out of there. Most of the time our vet does them, but a few times the vet tech has done them.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Excellent article! I remember going to the vet with our old girl because I was worried about "stinky fish butt," only to learn that it is a GOOD thing. If you're smelling the fluid, then your dog probably doesn't have blocked glands. The smell can clear a space, though!

ktcmojo

Feb 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaiser
Sorry it took so long to get back to you-the girl at the kennel i use has had several EB's and she does it for FIVE BUX!!!!!

PollyAnna and Olive

Sep 19, 2012
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
PollyAnna (Angel), Hank (Angel), Olive, Zoey, Pickles, Beauregard, Oliver
Good to know! This will save us alot of trips to the vet!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]...We did it!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:, after Joe and I read this article two times each and watching the video yesterday afternoon since Vegas was scooting all over our area rug all morning, we attempted to do it. I held Vegas around the waist, telling him what a good boy he was, and Joe went in. He could feel the swollen glands and gently massaged them. Vegas did give out a little yelp, but he does that even with the vet. I think we had success. Afterwards Vegas was treated to some yummy yogurt and all was well. He hasn't scooted once since yesterday around 5. Thank You so much for this article we were having to go about every 5 weeks at $17. a time. Although it was gross and stinky it is doable at home now.

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
I have a rescue and I made her an appt to get hers checked on Saturday . She's dragging her butt and now it's raw. She is still pooping normally. Actually her gas is the worse ever. Are they relieving themselves or should I still take her in?
I have read all the valuable info above and was wondering what someone else thought

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a rescue and I made her an appt to get hers checked on Saturday . She's dragging her butt and now it's raw. She is still pooping normally. Actually her gas is the worse ever. Are they relieving themselves or should I still take her in?
I have read all the valuable info above and was wondering what someone else thought

Check her tail pocket out too to make sure it's not infected, red or there's hair in it. More than likely she needs her anal glands expressed. I have to Jack's regularly and have had to only to Wilson a few times. If her tail pockets ok, then take her in. Her bad gas is more than likely caused by the food she's on. What do you feed her?

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]...We did it!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:, after Joe and I read this article two times each and watching the video yesterday afternoon since Vegas was scooting all over our area rug all morning, we attempted to do it. I held Vegas around the waist, telling him what a good boy he was, and Joe went in. He could feel the swollen glands and gently massaged them. Vegas did give out a little yelp, but he does that even with the vet. I think we had success. Afterwards Vegas was treated to some yummy yogurt and all was well. He hasn't scooted once since yesterday around 5. Thank You so much for this article we were having to go about every 5 weeks at $17. a time. Although it was gross and stinky it is doable at home now.

What the heck Kelly, how on earth did I miss this?!?! OMG I'm so sorry. But I'm totally thrilled you, well Joe, did Vegas's glands. See it's not that hard. Did Joe use a bit of vaseline before going in? Also he just may have gone a bit too far in at first. It takes a bit of practice the first first couple of times. I'm so excited. :jump:

I can't believe I missed this!!!! :ashamed: Are you still doing his?

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
I'm gonna take her in anyways. I don't want to do it wrong and I need to know all these things pointed out to me in steps. I'm new at this problem. I've conquered every other so far lol. She is on purina. Her gas comes and goes but yesterday and today it smells like rotten meat. She has an appt. she is still pooping normally though and still active other than dragging her butt and it's at nighttime usually.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna take her in anyways. I don't want to do it wrong and I need to know all these things pointed out to me in steps. I'm new at this problem. I've conquered every other so far lol. She is on purina. Her gas comes and goes but yesterday and today it smells like rotten meat. She has an appt. she is still pooping normally though and still active other than dragging her butt and it's at nighttime usually.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.