Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Anal Gland Care - Everything you need to know!

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

I learn something new every day. Great article!

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

@JeannieCO...We did it!! , after Joe and I read this article two times each and watching the video yesterday afternoon since Vegas was scooting all over our area rug all morning, we attempted to do it. I held Vegas around the waist, telling him what a good boy he was, and Joe went in. He could feel the swollen glands and gently massaged them. Vegas did give out a little yelp, but he does that even with the vet. I think we had success. Afterwards Vegas was treated to some yummy yogurt and all was well. He hasn't scooted once since yesterday around 5. Thank You so much for this article we were having to go about every 5 weeks at $17. a time. Although it was gross and stinky it is doable at home now.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gretchen
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Article: Anal Gland Care - Everything you need to know!

I have a rescue and I made her an appt to get hers checked on Saturday . She's dragging her butt and now it's raw. She is still pooping normally. Actually her gas is the worse ever. Are they relieving themselves or should I still take her in?
    I have read all the valuable info above and was wondering what someone else thought

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23093 View Post
    I have a rescue and I made her an appt to get hers checked on Saturday . She's dragging her butt and now it's raw. She is still pooping normally. Actually her gas is the worse ever. Are they relieving themselves or should I still take her in?
    I have read all the valuable info above and was wondering what someone else thought
    Check her tail pocket out too to make sure it's not infected, red or there's hair in it. More than likely she needs her anal glands expressed. I have to Jack's regularly and have had to only to Wilson a few times. If her tail pockets ok, then take her in. Her bad gas is more than likely caused by the food she's on. What do you feed her?
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KMARINO View Post
    @JeannieCO...We did it!! , after Joe and I read this article two times each and watching the video yesterday afternoon since Vegas was scooting all over our area rug all morning, we attempted to do it. I held Vegas around the waist, telling him what a good boy he was, and Joe went in. He could feel the swollen glands and gently massaged them. Vegas did give out a little yelp, but he does that even with the vet. I think we had success. Afterwards Vegas was treated to some yummy yogurt and all was well. He hasn't scooted once since yesterday around 5. Thank You so much for this article we were having to go about every 5 weeks at $17. a time. Although it was gross and stinky it is doable at home now.
    What the heck Kelly, how on earth did I miss this?!?! OMG I'm so sorry. But I'm totally thrilled you, well Joe, did Vegas's glands. See it's not that hard. Did Joe use a bit of vaseline before going in? Also he just may have gone a bit too far in at first. It takes a bit of practice the first first couple of times. I'm so excited.

I can't believe I missed this!!!! Are you still doing his?
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gretchen
    Likes (Received)

I'm gonna take her in anyways. I don't want to do it wrong and I need to know all these things pointed out to me in steps. I'm new at this problem. I've conquered every other so far lol. She is on purina. Her gas comes and goes but yesterday and today it smells like rotten meat. She has an appt. she is still pooping normally though and still active other than dragging her butt and it's at nighttime usually.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna take her in anyways. I don't want to do it wrong and I need to know all these things pointed out to me in steps. I'm new at this problem. I've conquered every other so far lol. She is on purina. Her gas comes and goes but yesterday and today it smells like rotten meat. She has an appt. she is still pooping normally though and still active other than dragging her butt and it's at nighttime usually.

Real Name
    Simon
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
    Likes (Received)

Walley-Bubba went to the groomer today to get a bath and to get his velociraptor nails done.
    Jeff. the groomer, said his anal glads were totally full.
    Jeff had to use a warm cloth to release them.
    I guess I gotta take him in more than once every two months...maybe once a month!
    Sure looked good when I picked him up and Jeff sprayed him with Pumpkin-Anise scent.

But danged if he didn't have a thumb tack in hos mouth later this evening!
    Thank God I got it out of his mouth.
    Like Ali said "he must be crazy"...

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Hi! Is it possible for the anal glands to "express" on their own? Two days ago, Layla was sitting on the couch. When she jumped down, the couch seemed wet. Upon closer inspection, it reeked like fish!!!! Then today, I came home to a wet spot on another chair and again, fishy smell!!!
    She is acting normal, pooping normal, no scooting, no sore or red-looking bum bum, and Wilbur isn't smelling her bizness any more or less than usual.... ???? Did her anal sacs release on their own? (I have never thought about their anal sacs...!)

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Momma2Bullies View Post
    Hi! Is it possible for the anal glands to "express" on their own? Two days ago, Layla was sitting on the couch. When she jumped down, the couch seemed wet. Upon closer inspection, it reeked like fish!!!! Then today, I came home to a wet spot on another chair and again, fishy smell!!!
    She is acting normal, pooping normal, no scooting, no sore or red-looking bum bum, and Wilbur isn't smelling her bizness any more or less than usual.... ???? Did her anal sacs release on their own? (I have never thought about their anal sacs...!)
    sure can.... lovely surprise
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    sure can.... lovely surprise
    OMG!!! LOL, yes, so pleasant!
    My whole world

Real Name
    Karla
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk
    Likes (Received)

My baby boy, Chunk (he will be 2 in May) has been having issues the last day or so. He's been like this before, but he would just stop after only a little bit. He would try and lick or scratch himself---but obviously cant because of his structure--so he would just sit there. He's acting like he's got an itch he cant scratch. The first this happened, he had a tail pocket infection. But I am not seeing anything wrong with that or any skin issues (which he tends to have a lot). So I called my vet this afternoon....just because he is still behaving this way. They said it could be his anal glands. I completely forgot about them! I had a Boston Terrier and he ended up having an infected anal gland where it ruptured through his skin. I dont see any swelling around his rectum or nothing is really visible, but by his behavior there is definately something wrong. We'll go outside and all he does is walks in front of me, stops and then sits. He'll try to itch but cant reach and then he'll abruptly sit down again. I am almost positive that its his anal glands now that I have read this article. Very good information!!

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

That was very informative, Ftse does his himself thankfully but I never even knew about this until I joined EBN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads