porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Re: Article: Cherry eye - what is it and how to treat it

AWESOME!!! This is one of the reasons we are all here.... teach, learn and love bullies!

:( it works pretty well so far unfortunately she has had 4 cherry eye flare ups :( 1 in her right eye and 3 in the left :( I feel so bad for her!!!! Our vet also recommended a baby aspirin to reduce the inflammation :( I hope she outgrows this :(

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

:( it works pretty well so far unfortunately she has had 4 cherry eye flare ups :( 1 in her right eye and 3 in the left :( I feel so bad for her!!!! Our vet also recommended a baby aspirin to reduce the inflammation :( I hope she outgrows this :(

Poor girl ,,,, keep us posted and hopefully, it will heal itself so you do not have to have the surgery

LittleZig

Jan 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Boulder

My dog gets it in one eye, but it always goes away after he falls asleep. Is this common, that it comes and goes? Or does it usually stick around longer?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

My dog gets it in one eye, but it always goes away after he falls asleep. Is this common, that it comes and goes? Or does it usually stick around longer?

Yes that can be common, especially in a younger bully. Just keep an eye on it, and one day if it doesn't go back or it looks infected because you can see pus then you need to consult a vet.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My Blossoms' Cherry Eye came out when she was 5 months old, I had read some books about bulldogs to learn about the breed before buying my babies, so I knew what it was. When I was at the vet for their needles, I mentioned it to her. I tried massaging it in and at first it went in , but as time went by, it kept popping back out, especially when she was playing or jumping. I just got bigger, so I decided when I had her spayed, I would fix her eye, so I wouldn't have to put her under anesthetic twice. When my pups were 7 months old, I had them both fixed, and when they spayed Blossom, they also fixed her cherry eye. I asked my vet how she fixed the eye, because I didn't want the lid removed, she told me she didn't do that procedure, and that she had been doing this for 26 years, and that she sewed it back in. She said she has a technique that she has perfected and she has a lot of success with it. I felt good and confident with her doing the surgery, so went ahead. She did a beautiful job, her eye is beautiful, no complications, or swelling. She had her surgery 3 weeks ago, and I brought her back 10 days later to take her stitches out from the spay operation, and for a follow up on her eye, she was very happy with the result, she has a cream for her eye, and we apply that twice a day. I take her back tomorrow for her last checkup on her eye. But I have bad news to tell the vet tomorrow, because last night when we came back for our long evening walk, and I took Blossoms collar off, I saw that her other eye also has cherry eye now. It wasn't there all day, and it wasn't there when we left for our walk, but it is quite big, and I will show it to my vet when I bring her back tomorrow. I guess we can try the massage and eye drops again, and see if it goes back in, I was able to gently massage it backin last night, and it stayed in, but this morning it was back out. We'll try for a month or two, and if its not successful then we'll have to fix her other eye. Poor baby

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Good article. My Blossom got cherry eye in her right eye when she was 5 months old, it started out small, but I knew what it was, because I had bought a book about bulldogs when I bought my pups, and I read about it. I was taking my two pups to the vet about every 4 weeks at the time, because they were going for their puppy stuff, poop samples, revolution, needles, rabies, leptovirus, etc. I was at the vet, and she confirmed it was cherry eye. It was small at first, and I was able to massage it back in, I kept it moist with eye drops, and hoped it would stay in. It got bigger, and was irritated by being exposed to the air, so I told the vet that when I had beer spayed the next month, I would fix her eye as well. I didn't want to have to put her to sleep twice. I had read of two ways to fix it, either taking it out, or sewing it back into place, the latter being the better way. She told me she didn't do it that way, and that she had a technique that she had a lot of good results with and would sew it back in. She did a beautiful job. I thought she was free and clear for the left eye, but it came out a week after her surgery, and a full 3 months after the right eye came out. So she is having it fixed on Nov 9th /2012.
Soon Blossoms' eye will be pretty again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 91

Sheli

May 18, 2013
San Antonio,TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NiKlauz

My bully just yesterday in his Right eye only got cherry eye :*( it looks awful.

Because it's memorial wkend most vet clinics are closed and the emergency hosp. won't do this surgery, they said it's something that can wait that they've even seen dogs that never get it fixed could of done with out that last information but what ever.

Your article however helped alot I'm going to take him on Tuesday to a Vet. Referal Emergency Ctr. that has a Vet. Opthomologist.

:goodpost:Michelle

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Re: Cherry eye?
I copied and pasted this from another person I gave advice to, hope it helps
hi , I also have a female named Blossom who developed Cherry eye at the same age (5 months) , at first I was able to massage it back in, but by the time I had her spayed at 7 months, it was no longer staying in, and was getting bigger from swelling due to being exposed to the air. I had her eye repaired at the same time as her spay surgery when she was 7 months old. unfortunately a week later the other eye poppped out as well, and pretty big right from the beginning, it wouldn't massage back in at all, and so a month later she had a second surgery to fix the eye. Our vet does not remove the tear gland, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, and she has her own technique that she has perfected and told us she has a 85 to 90 % success rate for the eye not to pop out again. we are very happy with the job she did, and Blossoms eyes are beautiful. We had no problems post surgery, and its been 3 months since the surgeries, and no problems. I'm so sorry you and Sophie are going through this , and having such a tough time. I am not familiar with the other method of removing the gland, but there are other members who have had it removed with no problems, and others who have had problems with dry eye, I think they can develop dry eye with either method, and there really isn't any right or wrong way to repair the eye. There are risks with both, but the tacking in of the gland with sutures has more risk of recurring cherry eye, than removing the gland altogether. i think you just have to do your research, that's what I did, and ask lots of questions, then talk to your vet, and see which method he has done more and which one he recommends and why, and them make your decision based on what you are comfortable with. In your case since the first surgery was not succesful, and they have already cut a pocket in her eye, i would be wondering if another surgery with sutures might irritate her eye and cause her more problems, and for the price $1800 and no guarantee, i would be leery of doing it again, a better option for you may be to remove the gland altogether to save her having more surgeries, and risking irritation to her eyes, and future problems down the road. If you have it removed, you wouldn't have to worry about it not working, and having to do further surgeries. you may have to give drops after , but I would rather do that than have her go through more. It is something you have to discuss and think about, and then make a decision with your vet. I hope everythng works out for you and you find a way to fix her eyes. sending love , hugs and prayers your way, for a solution, and a speedy recovery. Keep us posted on what you decide , and how she is doing.

0 Comment(s)

RoxysMomma

Jul 25, 2013
maine
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy lowery, Stella Lowery

My Roxy had cherry eye very very badly so bad in fact it was so big and so inflamed when I first got her she couldn't see, my bet Bryan did a wonderful job we went with number 3 and he did such a wonderful job she only needs drops every once in a while. :)

tdy426

Oct 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor and Henry, Roxie (2009-2013)
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! This thread was so very helpful. My baby girl had one pop out on her left eye two days ago, and since my other bully never had them, I didn't know what to do! I knew it looked painful, but I was glad to learn she wasn't suffering because her momma was a doof! :ashamed: After reading this post, I managed to massage it back into place (while she was sleeping of course, because trying to get a puppy to sit still for that is, well, y'all know...). Since she's just turning 11 weeks old tomorrow, I will wait to see how it goes...does one pop out on the other eye, does this one keep recurring, etc., before making a decision about surgery. Meanwhile, she continues to be the little hellion she always was!

Thanks again!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Thanks for sharing, great article and information. My female Blossom developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old, and we waited until we spayed her at 7 months of age, and did both surgeries at the same time. A week later, her other eye popped out, and we had the second surgery a month later to repair the other eye. The vet tacked them back in, and she did a wonderful job, we are very happy with the result. You would never know she ever had cherry eye.

Buddysmom

Jul 31, 2014
Uk
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Buddy our 5 month old had a partial removal of the left gland when he was 7 weeks old. (Touch wood no dry eye as yet) he does get the occasional cherry eye in the right eye but no inflammation as such so we just give his eye a wash with a clean warm cloth and pop it straight back in. While he's been teething it's been a bit more frequent and if you don't notice straight away he comes over and dumps his head on your lap as if to say 'fix this mom!'
It seems to have settled down a bit now so fingers crossed it stays in

jackip

Jun 16, 2015
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fudge
Yup, been there and done that with BOTH of them. Ugh! With Cleo we had not even had her 24 hours and it popped out. So frustrating

I realize this is a SUPER old thread, but someone posted the original article on my question about cherry eye on our pup. We just got out bullie two days ago and just like you in less than 24 hours it popped out. I'm frantic and just want the best care for my boy. What did you do for your babies?

Yaroslav

Oct 21, 2016
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oxford
Sometimes in pups upto 6 months it happens as they are very active at that age )

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.