Article: Welcoming Home Your New Bulldog Puppy

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
These baby pictures of these little bullies are so dang adorable.Too sweet. It makes me want to get another baby.:bully:

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
It is a great article. I do have a question on feeding a new puppy 3 times a day. Is this something that should really be done? We both work during the day and it might be tough to get home feed the puppy and get back to work in the lunch hour. I don't want to cheat the puppy so if it is really something that needs to be done then I will look more towards finding one that isn't a new puppy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is a great article. I do have a question on feeding a new puppy 3 times a day. Is this something that should really be done? We both work during the day and it might be tough to get home feed the puppy and get back to work in the lunch hour. I don't want to cheat the puppy so if it is really something that needs to be done then I will look more towards finding one that isn't a new puppy.

I just broke the amount to feed out to 2 meals since I was not able to drive back home at lunch time.... [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is always best to feed them 3 time a day, but if you can't then you have to do what you have to do. Maybe feed in the morning, as soon as you get home and then at bed time. We like to feed ours in the morning, at lunch, and at dinner time, about every 6 hours, then nothing at night. The older the pup the better they can tolerate the going all day without food.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

We both work too so out of necessity our pups have had to be fed twice a day ... doesn't seem to have harmed them in any way!! :2thumbs:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
When it was time for me to go back to work, I fed twice a day early morning and then at supper time. Just so the daily requirement is met. Lots of people only feed one meal a day and make it a really good one. I have never heard of any bad effects from this.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
2 meals a day will be fine. The reason breeders would like to see them on 3x a day is to keep their blood sugar level while they are awake and active, plus it helps them digest smaller amounts at a time. More stable poo is a good thing. 2x a day also keeps the blood sugar levels good and balanced so it should be okay. It may cause some gas at first so cut back the amount just a TINY bit, so they do not get a tummy upset from so much food at once, just for a few days until they get into a good routine with it. Then go back to the normal amount. Also a small bite or two or a treat/healthy biscuit just before bed so they do not get upset tummy due to it being empty.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online