Help Needed! Really Arnold, REally?

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Arnold has been an absolute doll to potty train and rarely has accidents. Well lately, Mr Arnold has been spraying in my home. I have a male Westie that I got from a puppy mill who actually has to wear a male wrap because of spraying (yes he is neutered but he came with lots of bad habits that I cant break in a terrier). Now Arnold seems to be in a pissing contest, literally. Any advice? I have never seen Arnold do it, ever but kids say they come home and it is on the leg of my sofa and Spike (Westie) could not have done it. Is this a normal phase or has a dirty little habit started?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not sure, but maybe someone else knows more about this. If I had to guess what would cause this all of a sudden,it would be maybe he's jealous of the other dog? You didn't say how long you had the Westie, he could be marking his scent to show dominance over the other dog, or is Arnold neutered? Sometimes unneutered dogs will spray. Hopefully somebody will come along with some advice for you. Good luck.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Mine went thru a phase of marking in the house. Mugsy and Cutty are about the same age and I think they were just claiming the house. They eventually stopped after busting them over and over. Now the back patio s another story.never really busted since it s outside and I should have. So annoying! I ave to hose it all down often. Hopefully it doesn't last long or you.just be consistent. I know others can help more.

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mine went thru a phase of marking in the house. Mugsy and Cutty are about the same age and I think they were just claiming the house. They eventually stopped after busting them over and over. Now the back patio s another story.never really busted since it s outside and I should have. So annoying! I ave to hose it all down often. Hopefully it doesn't last long or you.just be consistent. I know others can help more.

Problem is I have never busted him at it. Is it okay to punish him if I dont catch him doing it? I removed the furniture in the room that seems
to be the most attractive to him. Luckily it is just the legs and easily cleaned up

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No fun, I am in the same boat as Jenn. Never had a problem inside but my poor patio..... and the piss piles out there get thick and gross. Have to wash them off constantly!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Is he neutered?? I'd say he was just marking the territory because unfortunately he can probably still smell it from the Westie. You said you havent' seen him do it, so when is he doing it?? If he's doing it when he's alone in the house then you may need to start crating him or confining him to a room.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Problem is I have never busted him at it. Is it okay to punish him if I dont catch him doing it? I removed the furniture in the room that seems
to be the most attractive to him. Luckily it is just the legs and easily cleaned up

Well IS IT OK? Probably not to some people but figure if they r marking, they know theirs cent is there still so I did. Then clean with that pet cleaner that removes the scent o they don't keep going back to it.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Recently, Bo has taken to wanting to piss on EVERY SINGLE THING possible on our walks. And if I'm not watching, he'll go pee on where Bea has peed, right after she does --- even if he's emptied his bladder beyond empty! Maybe it's a "boy thing" but it's freaking irritating -- and I'm working on putting a halt to it. I can't stand it. I perceive it as dominance/ownership thing and that's unacceptable. The pack leader "owns" everything --- he doesn't.

I think as long as that Westie is doing it, there's nothing you can really do. Sowwy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Recently, Bo has taken to wanting to piss on EVERY SINGLE THING possible on our walks. And if I'm not watching, he'll go pee on where Bea has peed, right after she does --- even if he's emptied his bladder beyond empty! Maybe it's a "boy thing" but it's freaking irritating -- and I'm working on putting a halt to it. I can't stand it. I perceive it as dominance/ownership thing and that's unacceptable. The pack leader "owns" everything --- he doesn't.

I think as long as that Westie is doing it, there's nothing you can really do. Sowwy.

[MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION]

Yes... it is a dominance thing...... he needs a reminder as to who really owns this house. If you do not catch him in the act, there is nothing you can do to reprimand him.... he'll have no idea why you are doing it to him.

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@alicekable, @Vicaroo100, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] So this is what I have done!! The westie is either in wearing wrap or crated. period dot. All furniture has been moved to a gated off area. I got a black light and sprayed away. I now have an empty front room. It s the new trend!! Thanks for the advice

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
@alicekable, @Vicaroo100, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] So this is what I have done!! The westie is either in wearing wrap or crated. period dot. All furniture has been moved to a gated off area. I got a black light and sprayed away. I now have an empty front room. It s the new trend!! Thanks for the advice

You ARE a brave soul to black light your entire living room! Good for you!!!

M

mabel lou

omg the black light deal is an awesome idea, I am letting my son know about it because he owns two males and he and his girlfriend go back and forth about "no my dog didn't pee it was your dog" so as their innocent little angels cock their legs and the adults don't see it at least the black light will show them where and they can begin the clean up process. Although they both are crated it does happen when they are out of the crate. Thanks on the tip of the black light.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
GULP!! You are braver than me!! I wouldn't dare black light my room. I'd be worried what showed up!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.