why is my bully so aggressive ?

Jorge Rodriguez

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
chucky
my puppy is just 10 weeks old and he is soooo aggressive i have buy him a ot of chew toys and i play with him all the time bt he dot even pay attention to his toys all he want to do is attack me, he has already bit me in the face and in the arm and he bits my fingers all the times but not as bad as he did with my face and arm because he made a cut that was bleeding, i play with him because i want to cuddle with him but when we go to the couch he gets even more aggressive and if i tell him not to fo it he attacks me even more, i dont know what to do i dont want him to get used to bitting but i cant hit him in order to stop him from bitting me if i tell him stoppppp he gets even more aggressive.

nikkip410

Aug 5, 2011
STATEN ISLAND NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
REX
sounds just like my rex .. he was the same way when we got him at 12 weeks and now at a year does it still once in a while . .try not to rough play with him soo much and make sure he knows that biting isnt ok.. its hard i tried everything too and thought nothin was working but eventually he kinda grew out of it .. and chucky will too .. they try and see what they can get away with .. and determine who the leader of the pack is .. so you have to be the bigger dog in this situation

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Bulldogs are rough in play. He may or may not even be "attacking" you in his mind. He might just think it is play. Is he getting in the play position during these times (front end down & back end up)? The best thing you can do is to stop playing with him COMPLETELY for a bit as soon as he bites or jumps on you. Just put him on the floor if he is on the sofa, or get up and walk away from him if you are on the floor. When you do this, give a VERY firm, VERY deep, and VERY loud NO!! and refuse to even look at him. Ignore him. Then when it seems he has calmed down, you can resume a gentle play. If he bites again, then firm no and leave him again. He will understand. As far as scratches, he doesn't know he is scratching you. Clip those sharp little puppy nails :).

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Brooklyn was this way for a bit too. I used to flip her onto her back and hold her there until she calmed down. Even then sometimes she'd get right back at me and I'd repeat it until she stopped.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Yes Jorge, I agree with [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] Some of these guys love to play rough and it's up to you to decide when it's play time. Some of them don't want to cuddle unless they are tired. Then they will fall asleep on you. See if you can get him too chase a tennis ball. If he needs to chew or bite, I like the NYLABONE it is virtually indestructible. And bully's love it! Also some type of thick rubber toy like a KONG, these have a hole in them so you can hide a treat.

L

Lucy-licious

This has got to be one of the toughest puppy phases. It really upset me when Lucy did it. To him he is playing, they play like this with thier brothers and sisters before they part. He needs to learn about whats acceptable. When he was in the litter if he bit to hard his brother/sister would yelp to say ouch that hurt! too hard!!
What worked for us was my taking this roll and "yelping, OUCH!!" high pitch and withdrawing from her. She would be surprised and distracted momentarily and withdraw..at that point it is important to reward the withdrawal..."good girl, no bite". Everytime she bit us we did the same, if she didn't stop then we actaully physically removed her from us put her down with a firm, low "NO". It takes time but it works, I did also use "Time out", in her crate, but that was more for my benefit, when I knew it was getting too much and I was close to getting angry, off to her crate while I had a cuppa to calm myself. She was always sound asleep within minutes and didnt at all mind crate time.

Hang in there [MENTION=2887]Jorge Rodriguez[/MENTION] the snuggle bum you so yearn for is there and soon you like me will be smothered by the weight of a 1 year old bully that still tries to snuggle on your knee. :hug:
Whichever way you choose to teach him NO!! consistency is the key.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
good advise [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION]

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
They all do this in different ways! Most of it they outgrow. You need to let him know you are serious..be consistent..use time out like [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] Said and be quicker getting your face out of the way! :j/k:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
All the posts above give really really good advice. Just be consistent and make sure he knows this behaviour is really unacceptable. He will grow out of it eventually, he just needs to learn what the boundaries are.

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
I just got through this stage with Samson (he's now nearly 5 months old.) Our breeder even warned us that he was one of the more "playful" pups (we got him at 10 weeks) - he constantly bit, jumped at our faces, attacked our feet, etc. We seriously could not be on the floor with him without him trying to attack us - LOL he was like a wild animal! It does get better as long as you let him know that he's not the boss, also get him in a beginner puppy class if you can. Samson is now 4 months and 3 weeks and with the help of some really good teething toys, nylabones, and training he's improved dramatically!! Hang in there, I thought it wouldn't ever end and that I just had an agressive dog - turns out he was just being a naughty teething puppy that thought we were all one of his litter mates! LOL :)

tatersmiles

Oct 29, 2011
My 10 week old, "Tater", is definately the same way. When I take her out to go, she would rather attack my shoes and pant leg. Saying "NO" isnt going to do a whole lot with her as she is hearing impaired. I have to remove her mouth from my leg and make sure she sees my face when I sign and say no.
I usually redirect her with a ball or chew toy as well.

guru161

Nov 17, 2011
I am going through THE EXACT same phase right now with 8 week old Boodah... It is trying however I am trying to be consistent and let him know who is boss! i tried the "time out" approach the other night and after 15 minutes of barking he finally stopped and went to sleep... Firm "No's" and sudden clap were working first few days I think he understands the timeout approach much better. It is obvious he is playing, but he is veryyyyy consistent and adamnt about getting those feet and socks lol. He is still a little cutie though! He will be fine.... hopefully haha ! I feel your pain jorge, Boodah broke my skin in two places already as well as my mother's.

Attachments

• photo22.JPG
    photo22.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 164
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 164
  • boodah.JPG
    boodah.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 153
  • boodah2.JPG
    boodah2.JPG