Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why is my bully so aggressive ?

Default Re: why is my bully so aggressive ?

My 10 week old, "Tater", is definately the same way. When I take her out to go, she would rather attack my shoes and pant leg. Saying "NO" isnt going to do a whole lot with her as she is hearing impaired. I have to remove her mouth from my leg and make sure she sees my face when I sign and say no.
    I usually redirect her with a ball or chew toy as well.

I am going through THE EXACT same phase right now with 8 week old Boodah... It is trying however I am trying to be consistent and let him know who is boss! i tried the "time out" approach the other night and after 15 minutes of barking he finally stopped and went to sleep... Firm "No's" and sudden clap were working first few days I think he understands the timeout approach much better. It is obvious he is playing, but he is veryyyyy consistent and adamnt about getting those feet and socks lol. He is still a little cutie though! He will be fine.... hopefully haha ! I feel your pain jorge, Boodah broke my skin in two places already as well as my mother's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo22-jpg   -photo-jpg   -boodah-jpg   -boodah2-jpg  
    Last edited by guru161; 11-23-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chloe
    Likes (Received)

As for me, your pup wants to play with you or maybe it is just there attitude at that age.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    Bulldogs are rough in play. He may or may not even be "attacking" you in his mind. He might just think it is play. Is he getting in the play position during these times (front end down & back end up)? The best thing you can do is to stop playing with him COMPLETELY for a bit as soon as he bites or jumps on you. Just put him on the floor if he is on the sofa, or get up and walk away from him if you are on the floor. When you do this, give a VERY firm, VERY deep, and VERY loud NO!! and refuse to even look at him. Ignore him. Then when it seems he has calmed down, you can resume a gentle play. If he bites again, then firm no and leave him again. He will understand. As far as scratches, he doesn't know he is scratching you. Clip those sharp little puppy nails .
    Great advice. This thread has so many views... I feel compelled to add something here.

Dogs need excercise, dicipline (boundaries and limitations) and affection - and in that order. It's unacceptable to eat mama's feet (Bea was classic for this) or chew on grandma's bra (which is Bo's obsession at the moment) or chew the dining table into toothpicks. Doing as GatorRay suggests is a clear line of communication the dog can easily understand. "When I bite dad/mom, they stop playing with me. That's not fun. I'd better stop biting." A puppy's been on the planet just weeks right? They aren't going to "get it" instantaneously. Yelling "ouch" didn't do a thing for Bea's nipping - she was horrible, by the way - but getting RIGHT UP and walking away from playtime, painted a clear message that cannot easily be confused by the dog in question. Even little stubborn Bea got it.

How many people do you see get nipped by a puppy and then talk baby talk to it? "Oh you naughty puppy...you're not supposed to nip the mama...". How in the world would a puppy learn anything from THAT?

I'd NEVER suggest Alpha Rolling a dog (unless you know exactly what the heck you're doing). This will cause far more harm than good.

Real Name
    Allison Simpson
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cassius aka "Cash"
    Likes (Received)

The biting thing is really annoying, but being consistant does pay off. My 6 month old bully is finally understanding that if he bites, He is given a stern NO BITE and then play time is over. He will whine and cry to play, and believe me, it is hard to resist his cute little show, but by being consistant and walking away from play time, willl payoff. My vet was one of many people that mentioned to make sure that your persistant on what you say when you are scolding them. I have stuck with NO BITE and I say the same thing every time. With Cash he thinks biting is away of showing affection, but those sharp little teeth hurt. I am still working with my little guy, and I must say he is doing much better at listening. Good Luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads